Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Du ma
2,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
DISCLAIMER: I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY OF THE MISTAKES YOU MAKE. THIS IS MERELY JUST A GUIDE THAT INCLUDES TIPS AND PICS THAT I HOPE WILL HELP YOU OUT.

Hello guys, so here's a little insight of how my friend and I changed my water pump. I've read somwhere that tells you to remove the crank pulley but I didn't really want to do that, so I did it mainly from the top.

If you want to try and do it the way the manual tells you to do it, go right ahead. This is just a guide for anyone that doesn't want to go through the hassle of crank pulley removal. I'm not quite sure but I don't think the manual had intended or taken into consideration if that guide/instruction was for a motor out of the car. If your motor is out of the car, this would be a 2 minute job.

Decided to make this DIY since I wasn't really able to find one that was informative at all, but with some research, I was able to put some steps together. Just hope this will help at least one person so that they don't go in blind like I did. :thumbsup:

This is my first DIY as well as a great learning experience. Ignore my dirty ass motor and I apologize in advance for the lack of pictures and the quality.

The tools you'll need:
Simple wrench/ratchet set with couple extensions in hand when/if needed. Electric tools aren't necessary but do make the job quite a bit easier.

***Be aware, some bolts on the water pump are difficult to get to, so please have necessary angle sockets ready in case***

1. Jack up car and remove passenger wheel if you'd like for later (not necessary/required). Drain your coolant unless you like coolant splashing out when you take the water pump out and splashing onto your drive way

2. Locate and remove your serpentine belt while coolant's draining.
(Use this guide to remove belt: http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=694433&highlight=belt)

3. You'll then want to take out the bolts holding down the power steering pump as well as unclip the PS reservoir and move them out of the way. You DO NOT have to remove any hoses or drain any fluids, but you can if you want.

4. Remove the auto-tensioner

4.5 (Extra step for k20a2/k20z1) Remove the oil cooler joint pipe off of the water pump.

5. The bolts on the water pump are then accessible. (Type S - 7 bolts, Base Model - 6 Bolts)
(the homie removing a bolt of the water pump from below for easier access)
Beautiful hands 10/10

BUT this was where I ran into a "little" trouble. At this step, i removed all 6 bolts from the water pump; However, the problem that I ran into was that there wasn't enough space for the water pump to be maneuvered out. I thought I was screwed at this point but I was successfully able to do a couple of things to be able to maneuver it out. Here was how I took approach to it.... :rotfl: So close yet so far

6. Removed bumper and the headlight for easier access

7. Unbolted and loosened alternator (not completely). You can see how the alternator (circled in red) is not in position since I had to move it a bit around.
And also the line/house (circled) in red had a bracket underneath which was unbolted and moved out of the way.

With the alternator moved a bit and the line/house out of the way, the water pump was taken out successfully!

Remember to replace the gasket. No sealant was necessary.

Then do everything in reverse. And don't forget to refill coolant and burp the system.

One thing to remember:
Type S and Base water pumps are DIFFERENT
Water pump on the left - Base
Water pump on the right - Type S

Both have gaskets that have a shape of a.... :pedobear:

Overall, it took 2 1/2 hours since I didn't really know what to expect when I started to tackle this job. However, if i had to do this again, it'd probably take about an hour or hour and half.

Remember this is my first DIY so if you have any feedback, it is welcome. As for anyone else that has done this job, I also welcome any tips that had made it easier for you to complete this job.

Reason why I had to change water pump:
My car was creeping up on 190k miles and started making a "coffee brewing" or metal grinding noise at idle and low RPM (noise probably still there at high rpm but drowned out). Thought it was low PS fluid. Flushed that but nothing. Then thought it was low coolant (which I actually did have low coolant), but flushing it didn't do anything either. Then I pinpointed it to the bearing of the water pump (took off belt and spun bearings individually). Also explained why I was low on coolant also. If your water pump is making noises, replace ASAP!

But yeah, if you have any questions, I'll try my best and help you out. Hope this helps.

·
Curious Gooner
3,715 Posts
nice write up man!

·
Certified Ziptie Tech
419 Posts
Good to know!!.. I'm prob gunna do this when I get a new rad and hoses:thumbsup:

·
Du ma
2,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You don't have to remove the pulley bolt, at least I don't remember doing that at all. I removed the whole assembly with the pulley attached

·
Registered
648 Posts
You don't have to remove the pulley bolt, at least I don't remember doing that at all. I removed the whole assembly with the pulley attached

THanks bro, one last question ( i hope )

You mentioned removing bumper and headlights, but on the pixs it looks like you took the fender off. Was that necessary?

·
Du ma
2,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I didn't remove the fender at all haha, just the head light. I had to remove the headlight in order to loosen the alternator since the water pump didn't have enough wiggle space. I don't mind the questions at all. Your questions might help others also

·
Registered
648 Posts
Did you to this to a base or Type S? Cause it looks like the Type S pump is bigger, will it still maneuver out? Where you end up pulling it out from, top or bottom?

·
Du ma
2,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This was for a base. The pump for the Type is just a bit wider, but that wasn't too much of a problem. A lot of wiggle space for the wideness, but the thickness was what got in the way

·
Registered
648 Posts
Im getting my ass handed to me by that bolt in the picture. Any tips? is the bolt right between in between the crack pulley and the water pump pulley.

I can't fit a ratchet in there cause the ratchet hits the water pump pulley, tried using a deep socket its too big to in that tight spot. Extension is the same.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks, I just finished replacing my water pump on an 03 base model RSX, this write up helped quite a bit. I was able to do it without loosening the alternator and removing the front bumper and right headlight.
With the right engine mount removed, I was able to raise and lower the engine enough to allow removal of the water pump.😁

1 - 17 of 17 Posts