Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
Ok... so it seems like every time I turn around my car has water spots on it. Ok, well they do have to be enduced like by rain or water. But, does everyone's car do that? My old car never did that, I could let it sit there after I wash it and no spots. This car gathers all kinds of spots after one light shower. (I do dry it with a chamoi and a towel after I wash it, I'm mainly talking other times). The spots on the side mirrors get so bad even after you drive through a 5 min shower that you can't see out of them until you stop and clean them... :confused:

Is there any products for body and especially the side mirrors and windows that will help prevent these spots? I know it wont get rid of them all together but HELP... thanks guy

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
RevnSeXy said:
Ok...
My old car never did that, I could let it sit there after I wash it and no spots. This car gathers all kinds of spots after one light shower. (I do dry it with a chamoi and a towel after I wash it, I'm mainly talking other times). The spots on the side mirrors get so bad even after you drive through a 5 min shower that you can't see out of them until you stop and clean them... :confused:

Is there any products for body and especially the side mirrors and windows that will help prevent these spots? I know it wont get rid of them all together but HELP... thanks guy
yes, good first question . . . . what do you use to wash and wax with?

you also mention the glass gets dirty - after rain and such - that is simply an effect of the dirt in the air brought down by the rain.
geez - i have many many coats of stuff on my car - and it still looks freckled after a rain - nothing you can do about that. if you want to have the glass cleaner - try a rain-x type product to help the water run off instead of drying on the glass.

spots after you wash it could be soap related - but also quite possibly they are water related - hard water leaves deposits on cars - they have to come off - a claybar does a great job of that - to start with - then a detail or gloss spray helps reduce them. I still get them after i wash and dry - but the gloss spray removes them for me.

does this help?

if not - feel free to offer more info and we'll see what comes up.

G

·
Discussion Starter #5
That helps a little but not exactly what I am looking for.

I use gold class car wash and the gold class wax from Meguiar's. THe wax is real good and so is the wash. Since I dry my car I do not have spots on my car, they would be there is I let them dry.

I basically want to know if there are any products out there that help prevent like dirt and residue from sticking to your car, so when it does rain and then your car dries you do not have too many spots. For example, would a thicker wax maybe even waxing more help prevent this.

I do not like rain-x, it works well, very well. But, it is hard to put on and I have never done it before. I do not really want smear marks all over my car. My brother has used it and he could help me put it on since he has been there done that. And my dad uses something similar to it on the airplane. So I could get help but I guess I am too lazy... oh well.

Thanks for all your help!

·
ALL BOOST!!!
10,670 Posts
i use mother's car wash and i don't have this problem at all..i still think it's in your soap i personal don't like Meguiar's products i think their wax sux. it leaves streak and swirl marks showing even using a buffing wheel i don't care for the final result...

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
OK - i have a better idea what ure looking for now - and wouldnt that kinda product be nice !

I have lots of Zaino on my car - and when I drive it after a rain - i get incredible water run off from the car. But I suspect the top carnauba wax products give you the same thing - although they wear off lots faster - maybe you are going too long inbetween coats of wax?

for the glass part - i dont know a product that will do what you want - other than the regular rain-off type - i think there are 4-5 different brands at least -

i have never used any onf them, because uop until now - they have been a pain to apply -

there are a couple of new ones that are lots simpler - i just havent tried them yet.

do you use a detail = gloss spray. that would help reduce the visibility of the paint water spots, for the stuff that didnt run off - or dried on the car after a light shower or morning dew getting all over the car. as long as its not to gritty - you can spray and wipe - (when its dry) and it will remove water spots.

are we on the right track now ?

·
Premium Member
20,803 Posts
The wax is supposed to prevent rain etc from leaving water marks by helping it bead off.
I use the Meguiar's gold wax too, I haven't had any problems with swirls or streaks, maybe MTO used one of their other waxes. I don't have problems with water marks either.

Make sure you are applying the wax to only a small area at a time (1 panel or 1/2 the hood), and buff it off using a different, clean cotton terrycloth. The car should already be cleaned and dry when you apply the wax. I usually use a body cleaner and polish (Meguiar's Deep Crystal System) before I wax to get a deeper shine, which is recommended for darker cars like blue and black.

With the mirrors... Rain-X. Use it lightly; it hazes a little when you first apply it, but it goes away. It's not that hard to apply, just read the bottle.
Dust is going to stick you your car at some point no matter what you apply, but those California dusters work well. You can use the duster to take off light dirt and go over the area with Meguiar's Quik Detailer to restore the shine.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
951 Posts
only thing i can think of that will prevent dust drying with what little water is left beaded on you car is covering the car up with a car cover so that the dust is never in contact with the water in the first place.

G

·
Discussion Starter #10
Yea we are on the right track now.

I have only had my car a little over a week as of today. So, I have only waxed it once. So, Homer I don't think I am going too long in between waxings.

I have not tried a detail gloss spray, but that sounds like a good idea, maybe I will go get some.

The wax that I use, the gold class, hasn't left any streaks or swirls on this car or my old one. I don't know how you used the wax or what you used, but mine works just fine.

Side note--- It is raining like crazy and when it stopped my car was covered in just dirt from the rain, it had just been sitting there... I know thats from the rain (not related to my earlier question) but I was probably the only freak of nature out there washign my car in the rain, and then it stopped so I dried my car to avoid water spots... oh boy... protective over my car..just a little

G

·
Discussion Starter #11
Oh and the cover on the car it really wouldn't work. I live in an apartment complex right now. I think that would be, besides weird, it would draw too much attention I'd be almost asking for someone to hurt my car. I don't know if that has ever happened or ever will but ya know.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
OK - go get some detail spray - and stay with the brnad you are using - its not generally a good idea to cross brands - so keep with the meguiars spray

i think it will help you solve your problem

G

·
Discussion Starter #14
Ok.. I got Meguiar's quick detailor's spry.. I have yet to use it, b/c I am debating whether to wax my car or not tommorrow... It needs wax on it but I waxed it last week. So, maybe I will just do the detailor's spray. I also got some Meguair's leather cleaner.

I almost got this speciqal kind of window cleaner for cars... but then I thought how much different can it be. The ingredients are only one or two off from windex... however those several ingredients could make all the difference in the world (doubt it). But could that solve my other problem?

·
Premium Member
20,803 Posts
I just use isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol on the windows and windshield wipers. It gets rid of dirt, and leaves a pleasant "I'm in a hospital awaiting testicular surgery" odour in your car. :D

I apply Rain-X when the windows and sideview mirrors are all clean, Vancouver rains so much that you need something to help shed it off.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
and here I thought that the using rubbing alcohol on the wiper blades to clean them trick was so little known, that I'd never see it here . . .. shheeeesh Frosty - you continue to amaze me man.:cool:

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
RevnSeXy said:
Ok.. I got Meguiar's quick detailor's spry.. I have yet to use it, b/c I am debating whether to wax my car or not tommorrow... It needs wax on it but I waxed it last week. So, maybe I will just do the detailor's spray. I also got some Meguair's leather cleaner.

I almost got this speciqal kind of window cleaner for cars... but then I thought how much different can it be. The ingredients are only one or two off from windex... however those several ingredients could make all the difference in the world (doubt it). But could that solve my other problem?
please be sure to at least wash or dust well, before using the spray - and make darned sure the cloth you use is 100% cotton - no poly fibres, threads etc . . .

may i suggest - while they are on sale at the Bay - Royal Velvet towels for drying and detailing . . . get one or two of the hand towel size for the detail spray at least - cut off the ends also - to remove that banding . .they may shed a little - but its better than scratching . ..

if you have a serger - that'll do the job nicely . . .rememebr - cotton thread :) :thumbsup:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts