Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
The conscience of ClubRSX
8,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who here has Premium White Pearl? Just wondering if I should bother getting the fancier waxes out there. Since it's white, the shine/gloss doesn't show up as much as the darker colors anyways, IMHO...so I'm wondering if it's worth it (any noticeable improvement?) to get a better wax than the one I'm using now (Turtle Wax Extreme, which is pretty good already).

G

·
I heard from a paint guy years ago that regular white paint was the most durable. It stays cool, which is good, it is extra-hard, and when it chips, some layers tend to stay on the car. I suspect that pearl white isn't quite so tough. I'm sure it's got a clearcoat on top, and that clearcoat is just as delicate as on any other color. But you still have the temperature advantage, and perhaps the advantage in not showing swirl marks so much.

I personally find pearl white looks great, but only when it's clean. When dirty you can't even tell it's pearl. In the RSX, I think the pearl white is one of the best looking colors.

My understanding is that to protect the point, carnuba based wax systems like you're using now work fine, as long as you apply them often enough. Zaino is a more expensive and complex system, but it should theoretically protect the paint longer.

I recently switched from using carnuba wax to Zaino on my '97 GS-R, and so far I'm very impressed with the results. I did the whole treatment with clay bar, fancy towels, and all. The car looks better than it has in years. But that's with dark green metallic paint. So what do I know?

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
as far as shine quality - on white you can liukely not tell the difference from one brand to the next - wax or polymer.

the choice you need to make is between :

the amount of protection your car needs (or you wasnt for it)
and
the number of times you want to apply that protection.

wax will shine it - bit not protect it or last as long as polymer
wax needs to be applied more often (maybe you like that)

thats all , really, if you are oh with the life span, then there isnt a MUST do the Zaino thing going on . . .

there are lots of good waxes that meet peoples needs . ..

·
Registered
175 Posts
I don't believe white is more durable. The only thing protecting the paint is the clearcoat. Every color uses the same clear coat so it just doesn't make sense to me.

G

·
I think maybe this paint guy was referring to white paint that isn't clearcoated. I know that's not really relevant any more. But even with clearcoat, darker colors will get hotter, and my understanding is this heat means more paint damage. But what do I know :dontknow:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.