Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
You Want Some Rep Points?
192,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a friend of mind was cleaning his 07' SI and he was using WD-40 to clean his rotor on the edge to get rid of the rust, so while he was driving he has a hard time stoping! Any good advice whould help! Thank:)

·
I don't know you
16,615 Posts
LOL. use a mild degreaser to clean the rotor. should prob clean the pads or get new ones as well

·
0 Posts
Classic.... You should get him a spray bottle of butane to use as a fire extinguisher while you're at it.

·
You Want Some Rep Points?
192,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Classic.... You should get him a spray bottle of butane to use as a fire extinguisher while you're at it.
LOL I know! He a good friend, i don't want noting bad to happen to him on the road and other. So any good advice whould help!

·
0 Posts
LOL I know! He a good friend, i don't want noting bad to happen to him on the road and other. So any good advice whould help!
Don't play with scissors or run with a sharp stick in your mouth? What do you want me to say about putting lubricant on brake pads and rotors?

·
Bar'd TWICE
2,716 Posts
a friend of mind was cleaning his 07' SI and he was using WD-40 to clean his rotor on the edge to get rid of the rust, so while he was driving he has a hard time stoping! Any good advice whould help! Thank:)
Did you break your brakes?

·
Point and Shoot?
2,493 Posts
all wd-40 does it to remove all water from where its prayed. Tell him to use pb blaster for rust and scrub, or has he herd of brake cleaner?. wd-40 is safe but does othing but remove water, that why its safe to spray on all connectors and sensors to make sure their no water on them.

·
I don't know you
16,615 Posts
all wd-40 does it to remove all water from where its prayed. Tell him to use pb blaster for rust and scrub, or has he herd of brake cleaner?. wd-40 is safe but does othing but remove water, that why its safe to spray on all connectors and sensors to make sure their no water on them.
UM wrong. wd-40 acts as a grease on your rotors. BAD IDEA

·
0 Posts
Brake cleaner is the only stuff I would use on brakes. Period.

·
Point and Shoot?
2,493 Posts
But wd-40 is 100 perfect safe. Im an automotive mechanics major. It does no harm to the brakes but also at the same time wont do shit to clean them.

·
0 Posts
But wd-40 is 100 perfect safe. Im an automotive mechanics major. It does no harm to the brakes but also at the same time wont do shit to clean them.
You're telling me that you would spray WD-40 on your brake pads or rotors while they're on the vehicle?

·
I don't know you
16,615 Posts
would you really spray your rotor with wd-40? that sounds like pure idiocy to me, it is a mild grease after all

·
7,611 Posts
UM wrong. wd-40 acts as a grease on your rotors. BAD IDEA
:iamwiths:

The WD-40 will eventually wear off the rotor, but the pads are going to absorb the WD and it will f them up....

I freaked because I got a smidgen of brake grease on my rotor while installing the brakes.......

LOL at spraying them with WD-40.

·
7,611 Posts
Hear that. have you ever considered coated or zinc-plated rotors? Mine still look great.
No. Probably did at one time.

I heard from another Texan on these boards that his OEM rotors looked brand new at 30K miles and there was no need for anything but pad replacement.

That would NEVER happen up here.......

I guess this explains in part why Detroit invented the disposable car.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts