Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My stock exhaust is looking like shit on my grand am cause i didn't worry about it...i'm trying to sell it so i'd like to shine them up...I read in Superstreet a while back to use WD-40...anybody ever hear this...i did use it on my rims and they look great and are staying clean longer. But when i used it on the exhaust tips it didn't seem to help...any advise on what to do???

·
Registered
33 Posts
How dirty are they? My Grand-Am's pipes never really had a bright shine to them... All I ever did was wipe'em with a sponge when washing it. Maybe some sort of kitchen cleaning spray would work? That stuff seems all purpose, and doesn't harm metallic finishes - It may get off the carbon stains.

Just a guess - I need to find something too, as the exahaust on the RSX is turning pitch black.

... Actually, I just found this on a site for Motorcycle owners - It seems to be what I was thinking to try:

A cleaning tip for the downpipes from Erik...

Erik says: "Here's a cleaning tip to get the exhaust pipes clean
and looking as they were when you get your brand new Hornet.
You can use a cleaning product for glass ceramic kitchen
appliances made by 3M (Scotch Brite) or similar.
It removes the black spots, and the brown colour they go after
months of riding.
!However! Be careful - DO NOT use it on plastic or painted parts,
it is quite agressive."

Good luck :thumbsup:

·
m0o0o0o000?
7,354 Posts
to get that black crap off the exaust pipe i just use some rubbing alcohol and it just wipes right off.

·
700p LTR TWS .308
19,493 Posts
WD-40 is the most versitle shit I've ever used. That stuff cleans anything off a metal surface! I used to use it on chrome fixings on my paintball guns and ceramic barrels. It's beautiful! I bet it'll work well on the chrome tailpipe on polishing it.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Here is a quick fact... The name "WD-40" stands for Water Displacement - 40th attempt". It took the scientist 40 tires before he came up with a mixture that would displace water. I think I read that at http://www.wd40.com/ .

Enjoy :)

·
Registered
272 Posts
I could not resist looking it up a again LOL!

In 1953, a fledgling company called Rocket Chemical Company and its staff of three set out to create a line of rust-prevention solvents and degreasers for use in the aerospace industry, in a small lab in San Diego, California.

It took them 40 attempts to get the water displacing formula worked out. But they must have been really good, because the original secret formula for WD-40—which stands for Water Displacement perfected on the 40th try—is still in use today.

I remember reading that over a year ago. CRAZY!

http://www.wd40.com/AboutUs/our_history.html

·
Registered
272 Posts
Here is a another fact from their FAQ....

What surfaces or materials are OK to use WD-40 on?
WD-40 can be used on just about everything. It is safe for metal, rubber, wood and plastic. WD-40 can be applied to painted metal surfaces without harming the paint. Polycarbonate and clear polystyrene plastic are among the few surfaces on which to avoid using a petroleum-based product like WD-40.

http://www.wd40.com/Brands/wd40_faqs.html

·
Dead again.
2,672 Posts
Golly. And I thought WD-40 was purely a lubricant. I will feel cool doing other things with it in front of my friends where they say "what the hell are you doing?" and then I reply with what it stands for and all of its many uses. Damn, softening leather baseball gloves? Sheesh.

·
m0o0o0o000?
7,354 Posts
wd-40 is one of the most crappiest lubes ive ever used. even that silicone spray stuff works better.

·
Dead again.
2,672 Posts
I thought the same thing - I would use it to de-squeek my chair but it returns every few eeks. But now I know why, its because its not a full lubricant - it was really a watter repellant multi purprose tool.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts