Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to the track at qualcomm for the first time yesterday. I had really bad wheel hop yesterday(how do i prevent this?) so I didn't really launch anymore. My PR was 10.2, 60' time was 2.5, MPH was 74.62. But, I think I should've ran faster since I didn't launch plus my MPH was too high just for a 10.2. Can someone tell me what I should've gotten b/c of the MPH? Thanks.

·
Registered
113 Posts
its your launching, you need to work on that, 2.5 is way to high (asuming you have a type s) what tire pressure were you at and what kind of tires are you running on? how where you launching it? sounds to me like you gave too much gas if you had wheel hop..

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
how is 2.5 too high?

he got the wheel hop so bas because he didnt feather the clutch like he should have

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i have an ep3. I came on clubrsx.com because it was a lot more live in the racing forums so I came here for help. I have kuhmo ecstas 711 on 17" gram lights. The first race I had on srt-4 I gassed too much and it wheel hopped the crap outta my car. :eek: So I didnt' attempt to launch anymore. I just didnt' launch. Can someone explain feathering and slipping? I hear many different ideas from it? Thanks.

·
K20
3,090 Posts
i had a si before my rsx my mods were h/i/e and end up running [email protected] on a hot summer day. i was lunching at 3500rpm slipping it a lil best 60ft. was 2.201 on stock tires. PSI was at 20-21. Good luck with your si.

·
Internet Crack Dealer
34,438 Posts
Lower your tire pressure quite a bit and look into engine mounts. That is the best way to reduce wheel hop, increase your traction, and lower your 60'. The best thing to remember next time is you want wheel spin, not hop. If you have other questions, ask away.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How is a torque dampner? Is that better than motor mounts? Also, can someone explain feathering and slipping? I hear soooo many stories I don't know which is right. I appreciate all your help.

Also, before when I had better tires, I used to rev to about 5k rpm and drop the clutch. It had wheel spin but it launched really good. But the kuhmos now make my car have wheel hop. Thanks.

·
Internet Crack Dealer
34,438 Posts
The damper is good but hard to find for the Si (at least it used to be). I like and use the motor mounts but a damper won't work with my supercharger right now.

Feathering or slipping the clutch is not letting it out all the way in order to create wheel spin. I prefer to adjust things on the car so you don't have to do that because it causes extra wear on parts. It is much better to build other parts than it is to abuse one.

That is a good example of good tire vs. bad. A good tire will hook up and hook up well at a higher RPM. A lower tire (or one with too much air pressure) will go into wheel hop at the same RPM.

Drag racing it tricky, it is a balance between you, the car, and the track. The best thing way you learn to drive is by practice.

·
K20
3,090 Posts
If your trying to run faster get some Motor Mounts and stickey tires and go kick some ass.

·
Registered
113 Posts
BTS said:
how is 2.5 too high?

he got the wheel hop so bas because he didnt feather the clutch like he should have
well considering that my friend with an ep hatch was hitting 2.1's all day, 2.5 is extremly high..that's why i stated that he gave too much gas..i personally do not feather the clutch. i dump it at 7100rpm's..doing that got me my best 60' at 2.134 on street tires

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
also another question. what should've i run if my MPH was around 75 in the 1/8th? I heard there was a conversion equation. thanks you guys for helping out a track newb. thanks.

·
San Diego OG RSX
2,812 Posts
I think i saw you racing at the Q, i didnt pay much attention to your car though. Those 60 ft need work. My best run for my car at that track was a 9.9 with a 2.6 60ft. That was my first time racing my car too. Also it not only could be you but the track itself. I mean, that track is a fuckin parking lot for gosh sakes. So dont blame it solely on yourself. ALso lower your PSI. It helps a lot. I didnt lower mine too much (25-27), but then i figured out later that i could have lowered them to about 17 with no problems.

What are your mods?

BTW, did you see that RHD R32 Skyline run a 10.9 1/8th mile. :confused: He then broke down on one of his runs and it was the last he was seen for the night. The announcer was dissing his ass so much. Saying stuff like "He not only payed a bunch of money to import that car over here to the states, he now has to pay more to import a bucket of parts for that car." It was funny shit. BTW, we have a Qualcomm thread started in the SOCAL forum.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah, the 60' times do need work. My tires are crap though(Kuhmo 711) so I don't know. Hopefully this friday, I do a little better. I think I'll try and rev high and get more tire spin than wheel hop. The Skyline wasn't turbo,BTW, there was another one that was but it was in the car show.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts