Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
keepn' it clean
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just wondering what give the best results in terms of power from an i/e combo. I currently have the aem CAI and will hopefully be getting a JIC titanium with custom B-pipe.

Has anybody else tried this combo? How does it fair in terms of power compared to the other i/e setups out there?

Thanks for the input

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Get a CAI, forget the exhaust... exhausts aren't worth the money unless you plan on greatly increasing the amount of air entering your engine (Turbo, supercharger, blueprinting).

·
My motor is my stereo
439 Posts
Sousuke said:
Get a CAI, forget the exhaust... exhausts aren't worth the money unless you plan on greatly increasing the amount of air entering your engine (Turbo, supercharger, blueprinting).
thats not true. why do most exhaust on the base model gain upwards of 10whp? also, Just going N/A needs to free up exhaust flow. Headers are a must! they really helped out my brothers type-s. I have a 2002 Si, and made a custom cat back with a ES' oval muffler from jdmhondaparts.com and it made GREAT gains on the "butt" dyno.It pulls harder, alot harder in upper rpms.

I sold my HKS SRI, but i can give props on that intake. By far, it was the best Short ram i have EVER tested, much less had on a car, it helped torque and higher rpm horsepower....and GROWLD like a mofo! :thumbsup:

·
keepn' it clean
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have the Aem CAI already and am quite happy with the gains. I was thinking though that a lot of times i/e combos make more power as a pair than either one would alone (it makes sense, because you are freeing up airflow at both ends). I just would like a little more "pull" plus, i think the exhaust would make the car sound a lot better.

What are some expected power gain values for the base rsx with I/E combinations? Is 10whp a good guess?

Sousuke said:

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
You also need to replace the header/catalytic converter, so if you don't plan on doing that, there is no point. And no exuast is going to give you 10WHP, unless of course there is a change in atmospheric temperature :p 2-3WHP is what you are looking at.. which is shitty results when you can put that money towards something else which will have a much better impact(suspension). But if you like how it sounds and you got the money to burn, then go ahead. Btw, any exhaust company will try to give you theories on why an exhaust gains so much power, duh... they want you to buy exhausts.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
For the money you pay to get an exhaust you can get a Revo Shortshifter, Upgrade your rear sway bar, front x brace, rear strut bar. Which will have a much more noticable affect on your car's performance and comfort than any exhaust you can imagine.

·
keepn' it clean
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Your right about the suspension. For a car like the base rsx, handling is more important than power. I already have springs and am hoping to focus more on suspension in the spring (no pun intended! :) ).

However, i feel that the base rsx has a fairly week exhaust. The piping seems small, and I just feel that there would be a lot more power freed up if the exhaust would be less restrictive. What I am interested in is the combination results of both exhaust and intake (maybe header will come later)

So my questions are:
1)How much power (~approximate) will I be looking at with just I/E?
2) I/E/H
3)I/E/H + high flow cat

sorry if I am sounding redundant, but I am trying to figure out which rout I should go for modifying.

Thanks!

·
keepn' it clean
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sousuke said:
You also need to replace the header/catalytic converter, so if you don't plan on doing that, there is no point. And no exuast is going to give you 10WHP, unless of course there is a change in atmospheric temperature :p 2-3WHP is what you are looking at.. which is shitty results when you can put that money towards something else which will have a much better impact(suspension). But if you like how it sounds and you got the money to burn, then go ahead. Btw, any exhaust company will try to give you theories on why an exhaust gains so much power, duh... they want you to buy exhausts.
my 10hp figure was considering exhaust and intake combined

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
But if a CAI is supposed to net you around 8-10 WHP, why doesn't the Exhaust make the combo turn into an 15+ whp gain? Because frankly, the only real way to make power, is to increase the amount of fuel(air+gas) being efficiently used. I see Base RSX's dyno'ing with I/E to like 137whp-143whp. Isn't that kinda sad when the car can dyno stock around 133whp-135whp? Nearly $800 for such an insignificant gain. But to answer the questions.

1) between 135whp to 142 whp depending on your circumstances and car condition.
2) Not much difference at all unless you replace the cat.
3) You might break into the 142+whp range, but at that time you have spent over $1500 on AEM CAI, Exhaust, Jackson Racing Header + High Flow Cat + Installs in which case you should have just gotten a Type-S or saved that money up for a cybernation stage I or a custom turbocharger. Or changed your car into a very fun to drive stiffer than hell turning machine.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Instead of all that exhaust equipment, you might want to look into getting maybe a 6-Spd transmission or a Type-S Head Swap. Or Actually just get Hondata.

·
Registered
5,755 Posts
I/H/E/ should net about 185-190 whp, a highflow cat and Hondata 4 would push that # past 200. I currently have Injen CAI/Comptech Short Header/Comptech Cat-Back Exhaust. Without all 3 I don't feel our engines breathe as well as they should. Also, get some ES MM's for $30, I haven't yet but I am sure my OEM mounts are broken by now at 32K miles.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
It's ok, the type-s running at 8600 RPM could use a little help in the breathin department, but a base at 6800 RPM cuts it just fine with oem parts (except for the intake). Unless you REALLY REALLY want your 2 horsepowers :p

Btw if you honestly want my opinion on what a decent setup would be for i/h/e I would probably go this route (considering your are going to stay N/A or do an swap in the future.)

-AEM/DC/Injen CAI
-Jackson Racing Header w/ Hi Flow Cat welded on
-Magnaflow Exhaust or the newer versions of the DC Twin Canister Exhaust (sounds nice) Or just go custom job with 2.5" diameter mandrel bent piping with a flowmasters resonator with the muffler of your choice.

Or if you want the cost effective way of doing it.
DC Cai
HP Header
Hi Flow Cat
Magnaflow 5" Exhaust (it looks very big unless you have a Type-R wing :D)

·
keepn' it clean
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I decided to go with the JIC titanium exhaust. It sounds nice and i like the fact that it's so light. I also have a custom b-pipe made for it. I'm hoping to get some decent gain with the setup so far. (AEM cai and the JIC exhaust).

Hopefully in the spring i will get a headder and summer maybe get the hondata (we'll see how the finances are by then).

If i am looking for maximum power? I should go with a 4-1 headder right?

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
There really are no shorty headers available that actually gain power, some of them look pretty though. You'd be better off just switching out the cat to a hi-flow cat. Preferably one that won't throw a CEL light, I forget which one it is (Carsound welded on?).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts