Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We'll I almost got my tranny to the ground and I'm starting to lose hope thinking it isn't the clutch.. Even though i heard the throw out bearing when letting off the clutch (in neutral) I still believe it's my whole tranny.

Sometimes my car would stall like if it's in gear, but my shifter is in neutral.
Sometimes it doesn't come out of gear at all or go into gear.
And this one dam time (last time driving it) I drove it all the way from the city to home in 3rd gear. I also tried to shift into 4th and it didn't even go in. Then I remember trying to put it in back to 3rd and it took a while. It was a bad feeling everytime I have to come to a stop and take off using 3rd gear.

What are the chances it may be done? Maybe a bad throwout bearing causes the tranny to not catch gears. I'm pretty sure I was low on transmission fluid even though I had a lot of dot3 in my engine bay.

Sorry for all these dam posts on my transmission!!!

·
Speed is an Obession...
206 Posts
Dot 3? Coming from the CMC?

·
dafuq?
1,583 Posts
Drain the tranny fluid and see if any metal chunks come out?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
How does my clutch kit look like? Link to pictures

http://s1244.photobucket.com/user/dc5kay/media/Mobile Uploads/image_zps91e92335.jpg.html?sort=3&o=3

I saw that my disk springs are rusty.. And also noticed everything is rusty. Such as the flywheel and a little of the teeth are rusty, where the throw out bearing would be.The disc or clutch whatever it's called looks good. The springs aren't messed up in my opinion. I still didn't take the flywheel out but I have a picture of it. Havnt seen any grinds on it either. Starting to wonder even more why all this BS happened to me.

Yet i still didn't take the flywheel out but I will shortly

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Anybody? I thought my clutch was the reason on why I drove home from the city using 3rd gear only. Literally starting off on 0mph on 3rd gear. Also when I would let go of the clutch the sound would get hectic. I took out my tranny fluid and I didn't even have a full court of tranny fluid pour down. The clutch IMO looks fine, also the pressure plate has no scratches.. anybody know what this problem can be.

Sometimes the car would get stuck in reverse and never come out, mind you when the car is in reverse I would feel my whole transmission jump.. Oh yea and when I drove home from the city using
3rd gear I tried to shift to 4th and it just got stuck in neutral.. I panicked as I was on the bridge and got it back into 3rd. Also sometimes it would turn off without being in any gear like if it stalled.

I never changed the master clutch but it never got soft. I did change the slave cylinder though. Even though I never changed the master clutch and it hasn't lost pressure, can it still be a factor?

·
Speed is an Obession...
206 Posts
Did you flip the clutch when you took the picture?!? because on the inner ring where the words are printed you can see "T/M side" meaning transmission side and if that is the way your clutch came off the motor then you need to flip your clutch over so the flywheel side mates to the flywheel and the T/M side points toward the transmission. I hope the issue is really that simple for ya. Also, your flywheel needs to cleaned up, you can see the heat marks in the 9 o'clock to 12 o'clock range. Get it machined or get a new flywheel. CMC can still be a factor if you are using an aftermarket clutch and pressure plate since the stock CMC isn't made to operate heavier spring rate on an aftermarket pressure plate. Did you read the sticky in the top of this section?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Did you flip the clutch when you took the picture?!? because on the inner ring where the words are printed you can see "T/M side" meaning transmission side and if that is the way your clutch came off the motor then you need to flip your clutch over so the flywheel side mates to the flywheel and the T/M side points toward the transmission. I hope the issue is really that simple for ya. Also, your flywheel needs to cleaned up, you can see the heat marks in the 9 o'clock to 12 o'clock range. Get it machined or get a new flywheel. CMC can still be a factor if you are using an aftermarket clutch and pressure plate since the stock CMC isn't made to operate heavier spring rate on an aftermarket pressure plate. Did you read the sticky in the top of this section?

Oh man my fault! Your very smart for that one (no sarcasm) I thought it uploaded that side. I'll put the picture up when I get home and ye something about a triangular thing. Even if it was the clutch master why would my tranny grind in neutral? The throw out bearing looked fine but did have a small scratch. I'll take a picture of that and the bell housing also

·
Speed is an Obession...
206 Posts
If you're grinding in neutral it could be anything from gears to shift forks. I had to replace my entire 2nd gear assembly because as soon as it was placed on the transmission shaft it fell below where is was supposed to sit (like it sank down) however, I would replace the CMC and get the flywheel resurfaced before you go into the tranny just to rule out the possibilities. One thing you might want to do is while the tranny is off the car, take off the TOB and turn the shaft and listen for anything out of the ordinary (a clink/clunk) if you hear anything like that then the bearing are shot.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
If you're grinding in neutral it could be anything from gears to shift forks. I had to replace my entire 2nd gear assembly because as soon as it was placed on the transmission shaft it fell below where is was supposed to sit (like it sank down) however, I would replace the CMC and get the flywheel resurfaced before you go into the tranny just to rule out the possibilities. One thing you might want to do is while the tranny is off the car, take off the TOB and turn the shaft and listen for anything out of the ordinary (a clink/clunk) if you hear anything like that then the bearing are shot.

So I should put the tranny back on and change the clutch master? But even though I still had pressure the clutch master can go bad? And if I have a linkage problem that wouldn't make my car grind in neutral right? I remember taking off the the throw out bearing and spinning the spindle where it would be the bearing and fork. When I turn it it's not suppose to make a noise? And this spindle is in the bell housing right? Thanks for the replies btw. Keeping my mind going

·
Former Mod-Still a God
209,105 Posts
You need to keep all these questions (since they are related) to a single thread. Consider this your warning. Good luck with the transmission.

·
Speed is an Obession...
206 Posts
So I should put the tranny back on and change the clutch master? But even though I still had pressure the clutch master can go bad? And if I have a linkage problem that wouldn't make my car grind in neutral right? I remember taking off the the throw out bearing and spinning the spindle where it would be the bearing and fork. When I turn it it's not suppose to make a noise? And this spindle is in the bell housing right? Thanks for the replies btw. Keeping my mind going
Yes, the spindle is in the bellhousing, and yes the CMC can still be defective even if you have pressure. The problem is that the clutch pedal still has pressure but not enough to engage the pressure plate to engage the clutch. Especially if it is an aftermarket clutch and pressure plate. If the stock CMC (triangle) is still on the car and you have more than 100K, I would swap it out just for peace of mind.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes, the spindle is in the bellhousing, and yes the CMC can still be defective even if you have pressure. The problem is that the clutch pedal still has pressure but not enough to engage the pressure plate to engage the clutch. Especially if it is an aftermarket clutch and pressure plate. If the stock CMC (triangle) is still on the car and you have more than 100K, I would swap it out just for peace of mind.

Dam the spindle made a clunk noise? That's not normal for it to do that? And 100% will
Change the masters

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Dam the spindle made a clunk noise! Everytime I spin it. That's not normal for it to do that? And 100% will Change the master clutch

·
dafuq?
1,583 Posts
By spindle are you guys talking about the input shaft that is sticking out of the tranny's bell housing?

Take the whole tranny apart and take a look, the gears stay together so you don't have to worry about the whole thing falling apart on you. Use a guide for installing a LSD for disassembling the tranny.

You will need hondabond or grey rtv when you put it back together though.

I used this one for mines for the first time and it was easy, if you had the skills to take the tranny out to inspect the clutch, you can do this too:
http://www.modified.com/tech/modp-1003-wavetrac-lsd-installation/viewall.html

Also that 'rust' you are seeing is most likely clutch disk powder, it is that rust brown color.

·
Speed is an Obession...
206 Posts
By spindle are you guys talking about the input shaft that is sticking out of the tranny's bell housing?

Take the whole tranny apart and take a look, the gears stay together so you don't have to worry about the whole thing falling apart on you. Use a guide for installing a LSD for disassembling the tranny.

I used this one for mines for the first time and it was easy, if you had the skills to take the tranny out to inspect the clutch, you can do this too:

Also that 'rust' you are seeing is most likely clutch disk powder, it is that rust brown color.
Yes that is the spindle we are talking about. Sounds like the bearing(s) are out or going out. You can pick them up on Ebay for around $200 for all. Or take it to a transmission shop and have them rebuild it. The labor intensive part is done since you already have the tranny off the car.

If you haven't by now, read the sticky at the top of this section about aftermarket clutches and aftermarket flywheels. EM2 CMC FTW!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

I believe he's talking about the input shaft. It does me a click sound when turning with or without the throw out bearing. That would be norm right? And I took my clutch to a mechanic, he said nothing wrong here. He said if anything get a new pressure plate but it still looked fine. Also I'm a little nervous to do that. The guy did tell me it can be a bearing inside the transmission. Forgot what it's called. FML I miss my late night rides. Also what would the LSD do if I install it. I can def read and try and figure it out but rather hear your perspective

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yes that is the spindle we are talking about. Sounds like the bearing(s) are out or going out. You can pick them up on Ebay for around $200 for all. Or take it to a transmission shop and have them rebuild it. The labor intensive part is done since you already have the tranny off the car.

If you haven't by now, read the sticky at the top of this section about aftermarket clutches and aftermarket flywheels. EM2 CMC FTW!
Lol I replied to Andy and then after seen you replied back. But how the hell can you tell. You know, it's not going thru my head. Wouldn't the input shaft have to spin? Maybe that was the whole problem. I'm pretty sure when I had my car on I heard it from where the input shaft would be but then again I could of been off

·
dafuq?
1,583 Posts
I am not saying for you to install a LSD, I am saying that if you want to open up the tranny, use that DIY as a guide. Once inside, you can inspect each of the gears and bearings.

I don't recall hearing a clink noise, but I may be wrong.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts