Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
エアロキット&#
2004 Acura RSX Type S Milano Red
5,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am sure most people are already aware of, or soon becoming aware of autonomous (driverless) cars.

The google car has been out for sometime driving around northern California, and recently seen in Southern California. It has proved that it can drive with regular traffic using Lydar and other technology to sense moving objects etc.

I can say at Art Center College of Design, it is a topic that is brought up everyday in our program- as we are anticipating these vehicles to be out on the public roads in the next 5 years.

It had been stated that the gasoline powered, driver controlled car will never go away, but there will be many cases where the driver-less car will come in handy for public use and also private use.

Thoughts?

Feel free to share articles on this topic in here :)

·
Curious Gooner
3,717 Posts
I have been reading about these for the last 7 years or so. I hate the idea. In theory it sounds candy coated safe and awesome, but I just don't like it.

Sure for long drives its awesome, its also great if you wanna do something else and let the car do its thing. But i hate the fact of transportation not being controlled by a human. The only exception to this is commercial flight, as planes don't fly within a few fee of each other on a normal basis. We humans are becoming less skilled by the day and this is just another step towards that unskilled lazy person.

I already don't like all the technology being put into cars nowadays. Cars that will cut the wheel if you drift outside of your lane, cars that brake for you, etc. F that noise. Heck I even hate electronic throttle control lol

Whats gonna stop someone from simultaneously taking over multiple vehicles, by hacking whatever is controlling them vehicle, and there you one of the people that are stuck in a death cage being controlled by some sick guy with a controller.

I personally love driving. Since I first started driving I have been obsessed with it. Heck I even got my undergrad and grad degrees in transportation engineering to design roads, etc. Then I recently bought a manual car and fell in love with it even more! It's my escape, stress relief, and it gives me a sense of freedom and expression. So I personally don't like the idea of them at all.

·
エアロキット&#
5,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The one topic that is often brought up, is the moral decision making of these vehicles.

Yes, there should and will be ways of passengers ability to gain control of the vehicle in certain instances.

But instances where this isn't possible due to quick movements needed to be made in traffic...

If a car needs to decide whether to hit a pedestrian or animal (in emergency accident situation), which choice does it make?

^And.. Do we want this kind of robot to be allowed to be driving if we are out with our loved ones on the street walking or riding a bicycle?

·
Pancakes
5,344 Posts
It would sure be easier to masturbate while I drive. Not that I can't now but it's always a hassle to hold my iphone, sock, and dick all at once.

·
Registered
651 Posts
The one topic that is often brought up, is the moral decision making of these vehicles.

Yes, there should and will be ways of passengers ability to gain control of the vehicle in certain instances.

But instances where this isn't possible due to quick movements needed to be made in traffic...

If a car needs to decide whether to hit a pedestrian or animal (in emergency accident situation), which choice does it make?

^And.. Do we want this kind of robot to be allowed to be driving if we are out with our loved ones on the street walking or riding a bicycle?
interesting points. of course the counter argument to a few would be that there are a lot of idiots on the road already who are much larger a danger than any safeguarded robot cars.

·
エアロキット&#
5,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
^True.

Semi Autonomous will come first, for sure within the next 5 years.

In fact, many auto makers are working on the reverse = having robots taking over human control.

This way humans get used to the autonomous feeling, and eventually switch to full automation.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.