Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be buying an RSX-S here pretty soon and i've never had a car with a warranty, so how much extra power can be made without voiding it?
Thanks.
 

·
Auto-x whore
Joined
·
5,326 Posts
It just depends on your dealership. You need to go ask them to see what you can do without voiding your warranty.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,250 Posts
AzCivic said:
I will be buying an RSX-S here pretty soon and i've never had a car with a warranty, so how much extra power can be made without voiding it?
Thanks.
Do a google search for the Magnusson-Moss act regarding warranty work on modified cars. If they cannot prove that the aftermaket part voided the warranty, then they have to replace it. A lot of Acura dealerships will offer warranties on cars equipped with Comptech parts. Some will go even further, especially if they offer aftermarket parts in their parts department.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hmm, what kind of things are worth asking about? obviously forced induction is a big no, but do you think there's a chance of getting other major stuff ok'd for example cams or a header
 

·
1 of 1
Joined
·
5,669 Posts
BigDawg said:
Do a google search for the Magnusson-Moss act regarding warranty work on modified cars. If they cannot prove that the aftermaket part voided the warranty, then they have to replace it. A lot of Acura dealerships will offer warranties on cars equipped with Comptech parts. Some will go even further, especially if they offer aftermarket parts in their parts department.
my searchin skills suck all im finding is references to it...if u could post a link to a full version of the law that i could print that be great. Also im sure many other people would appreciate it too. :thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
163 Posts
Importtuner said:
my searchin skills suck all im finding is references to it...if u could post a link to a full version of the law that i could print that be great. Also im sure many other people would appreciate it too. :thumbsup:

basically it states that a dealership can't void your warranty for having aftermarket parts unless they can prove that the particular part is what caused the problem, a cai can't make your brakes wear unusually fast stuff like that. i wouldn't worry about warranty just mod away, if they give you any trouble just bring up the act to a service manager, they'll hold up there warranty
 

·
[email protected] stock tires I/E
Joined
·
1,091 Posts
I had to use that when my tranny went and the dealership said "oh you got a CAI and an exhaust and stuff so obviously you're racing so we won't cover it." I told them that I know my rights and that they had to prove to me how any of those things caused my tranny to go and once I said that they knew that I knew what I was talking about and they ended up covering it. I know that you can put anything on the exhaust if its from the cat-back. Anything from the cat forward would void part of your engine warranty.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
so basically a cai and exhaust is all that i could do and not have any problems. i'll try to work something out with them though to maybe include cams if i have them install it along with upgraded springs, and maybe a header as well.
 

·
Auto-x whore
Joined
·
5,326 Posts
Just ask your dealership. I just asked mine today about an aftermarket clutch and flywheel, and they said I would keep my tranny warranty.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
227 Posts
i have intake mani gasket, race header...all kindsa crap and they still fixed my tranny on the TSB...all how much you bitch.

Matt
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,782 Posts
AzCivic said:
so basically a cai and exhaust is all that i could do and not have any problems. i'll try to work something out with them though to maybe include cams if i have them install it along with upgraded springs, and maybe a header as well.
The official answer is:

You can modify any part on the car and the following three statements will apply:

1. You will lose warranty coverage on the part that was replaced with the aftermarket part.

2. If an aftermarket part is proven to have caused a malfunction, warranty coverage will not be granted. The dealer must provide, in writing, the reason for denial of coverage.

3. It is illegal for a dealer to deny warranty coverage if an aftermarket part is not to blame for a malfunction.
 

·
1 of 1
Joined
·
5,669 Posts
G35 said:
basically it states that a dealership can't void your warranty for having aftermarket parts unless they can prove that the particular part is what caused the problem, a cai can't make your brakes wear unusually fast stuff like that. i wouldn't worry about warranty just mod away, if they give you any trouble just bring up the act to a service manager, they'll hold up there warranty
Yeah i know what it states in all i just want a printed copy for my friend....he has some serious warranty issues with his dealer. I know for a fact they're bsing him on what shit he needs repaired but they want to void his warranty if they install the aftermarket clutch (his clutch went bad and the oem costs more so wth lets throw a cheaper better performing clutch.)

First of all i think they dealer is bsing him that the clutch has gone bad from flying off the road. I also think they r tacking on a lot of extra charges that arent true.

But the warranty is the big issue...if u guys could post a link of a copy of it i could print it up and give him a copy to show the dealer.
 

·
Hug it out bitch
Joined
·
535 Posts
Importtuner said:
Yeah i know what it states in all i just want a printed copy for my friend....he has some serious warranty issues with his dealer. I know for a fact they're bsing him on what shit he needs repaired but they want to void his warranty if they install the aftermarket clutch (his clutch went bad and the oem costs more so wth lets throw a cheaper better performing clutch.)

First of all i think they dealer is bsing him that the clutch has gone bad from flying off the road. I also think they r tacking on a lot of extra charges that arent true.

But the warranty is the big issue...if u guys could post a link of a copy of it i could print it up and give him a copy to show the dealer.
Here you go.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,619 Posts
one of my friends talked to the people at the dealership and they paid $300 extra to have the hondata reflash warrantied. also another friend of mine was talkking to someone at his dealership and he said that he could get a turbo warrantied, if they ordered and installed it for him. I guess it just depends on your dealership
 

·
1 of 1
Joined
·
5,669 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
487 Posts
yea you should really be careful. my friend had his 3rd gear go out (syncros, then the gear itself) and he went in to have it fixed under warrenty. anyways he had a short shifter, and they said that his short shifter caused the 3rd gear to go out, and he couldnt get it done under his warreny. anyways if u want stronger power getters, like cams and shit that requires u to take off the valve cover and dissemble shit, then be careful, dont tell the dealership what u have. especially if u have it. and i recomend if u own a short shifter to just uninstall it before going in to have your tranny looked at. but intake header and exhaust should be just fine. i have never heard of a Acura dealership warranty an aftermarket turbo? i need to find that dealership.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,817 Posts
#1 call your warranty rep.

Any I mean ANY aftermarket modifications that contribute to the PROBLEM of your car WILL BE NOT COVERED, I REPEAT NOT COVERED, by your WARRANTY. Other than that it is covered until u have problems.

I know that SPRINGS will VOID your suspension for sure.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,936 Posts
In most cases, aftermarket parts will void your warranty in the area that is altered.

The thing is, most afetrmarket companies WILL tell you how they interpret the law because they don't want to scare you into not buying their products because it might void your warranty.

There is a difference between buying a different brand of air filter that's not used by the car maker and using an air filter that was designed for high flow but does not filter as well as the factory replacement. If something gets through the filtration system and somehow caused abnormal combustion to take place and damages your engine, your car maker shouldn't have to foot the bills for the repairs.

The same can be said about everything that you put on your car. The factory car was designed to operate under a certain environment, and if your aftermarket parts caused the car to perform in a way that was not designed to perform and caused damage, your warranty should not cover it.

Of course, if you install springs on your car and your engine blew, your car maker should honor their warranty to replace the power train because aftermarket springs should not cause power train damage. But if you installed a new set of cams and you experienced valve float and they hit the piston top, your car maker will definitely not cover the engine reapirs.

I even know people who was denied warranty coverage because they used the wrong grade of gasoline in their car. Well, the sticker did say Premium Fuel ONLY, and that language was explicit enough for the court to side with the car maker.

And in the end, the car maker can always revise their warranty language to exclude things from your warranty coverage. That's how easy it is.
 
1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Top