Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have an 02 base with 140k miles. about 3000 miles ago, my check engine light came on and it was for my vtec solenoid. i replaced it with an oem honda vtec solenoid. yesterday, my check engine light came on again and its for my vtec solenoid. is there an underlying problem that causes these to fail or did it just randomly happen again so soon?

·
Registered
239 Posts
I'm sure there is a way of testing the solenoid itself (try searching), but low oil levels and a clogged screen can cause this code to trip. You could try checking those.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
oil level is good. you think the screen could already be clogged even though i havent even put 3000 miles on it since i changed it out?

·
Name's Vic
14,752 Posts
Well the correct process is to check the code in the helms and follow the procedure. If you have a code for it again then clearly its not the valve. At 140k i can see it happening but putting 3k on it and having the same code no way. I ha 180k on mine before i sold it and never replaced my valve never had a code for it either.

Maybe its a wiring issue.

·
I don't know you
16,611 Posts
To answer your question, a solenoid is simply a valve that is opened or closed magnetically when it receives a voltage signal. So failure is caused by mechanical wear and tear, typically. As others have pointed out, it is highly unlikely for a new solenoid to function for 3k miles and then fail.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I had p1259 after washing out my engine bay with degreaser and water. I replaced the vtec solenoid and everything was fine till one day I cleaned my engine again and had code p1259. found out it was just the oil pressure switch on the vtec solenoid by applying 12 volts to confirm it didn't work. I replaced the oil pressure switch and code went away again.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i used the helms manual and followed the steps to check the continuity on male side of the pressure switch and it was good, voltage on the female side of the pressure switch connector was good, and checked resistance on the other female connector on the opposite side of the vtec solenoid was good as well. next step in the helms is to disconnect the oil pressure switch and hook up a special tool to check the oil pressure and i dont have that tool. i got to step 18 on page 11-133 in the helms manual if any of y'all have it handy. thanks for all the help so far.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i called the dealer and asked them if they warrantied their part. they said i should first try to do a motor flush with an additive that i pour into the engine oil and its suppose to clear out any built up sludge i have in the engine hopefully clearing any blocked oil passages. he also said to clean the solenoid and screen out with carb cleaner. i did both of these today and it still didnt clear the code. either there are severely blocked oil passages and the motor flush oil additive didnt clear it out, the solenoid is bad, or the vtec pressure switch is bad. i know i dont have wiring issues because i diagnosed both connectors with my multimeter according to the helms.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
i replaced my vtec solenoid with another used vtec solenoid that i bought off here but i still have the same check engine light code. any ideas as to what to do next? should i replace the oil pressure swith that is directly underneath the vtec solenoid?

·
I don't know you
16,611 Posts
the problem would either be that, or electrical. Do you have a voltmeter you can do some inspections with?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey uys, sorry to brin back a old thread, but I'm having simlar issues. I haven't had a CEL liht come on yet and I been threw the common issues trying to trouble shoot why my vtec isnt working. I did a oil change and oil level is good, checked my solenoid screen and its clear. Also heard resetting my ecu might work so I disconnected the battery for awhile then reconnected and started up the car. I had it warm up aabit to and still nothing. I'm going to stop by autozone today and have them scan to see if any codes may appear. But in any case can you tell me where I can locate the vtec oil pressure switch? I'm goin to test that.

·
Registered
476 Posts
i had this problem 3 times! and every time this problem came along was when i used RESTORE engine additives. as soon as i added this product with new oil change and drive out , check engine light comes on and off , 1,2 time i didnt believe it , so i decided to change new oem vtec solenoide . and vtec .... damn i for got the name of that other piece! any ways both brand new oem acura dealer product. i did a oil change with fresh oil and after few month i decided i wanted to add RESTORE additives , to help with high mileage compression loss, and did a new oil change and added RESTORE, and took the car out for drive, and same problem came back!!! and noticed RESTORE additives will cause this problem as soon as u add them to our k20 engines, all that thick slime material which bonds to cylinder wall to restore compression , cause our vtec system to get clogged!

·
Name's Vic
14,752 Posts
Why would anyone use that restore stuff or even sea foam to modern cars? With all the additives in fuel, and all the additives in new oils why add that garbage. That stuff really is useless.

·
Registered
476 Posts
when ur car is 12 yrs old product that helps bring up compression will help lil bit~,just because its a modern car , that doesn't mean engine parts don't wear down!

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
when ur car is 12 yrs old product that helps bring up compression will help lil bit~,just because its a modern car , that doesn't mean engine parts don't wear down!
The point was that at least in novaspace's case the additives caused problems. Just because the bottle claims it works miracles doesn't mean it will work in your application, or that you should even use it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts