Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
RIP BlueStreak
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i will be ordering the cybernation stage 1 next week and i was just wondering from all you guys out there who already have it what clutch setup should i get? Also, if there is anything else i should know proir to ordering feel free to let me know. And lastly, is there an instruction manual out now for the install?

·
Registered
50 Posts
I'm installing a CN stage 1 in about two weeks. I just bought an exedy stage 2 and fly with Phantom LSD. Richard at CN says this will be a real good setup for stage 1 application. I considered Quaife LSD, but way too pricey. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
462 Posts
BlueStreak02 said:
i will be ordering the cybernation stage 1 next week and i was just wondering from all you guys out there who already have it what clutch setup should i get? Also, if there is anything else i should know proir to ordering feel free to let me know. And lastly, is there an instruction manual out now for the install?
The Exedy will be fine, it is a good clutch.

Yes there is an instruction manual for the kit.

·
Registered
462 Posts
BlueStreak02 said:
are you installing it yourself? i heard the phantom is a bitch to install, but good luck!
The Phantom Grip is just as much of a job to install as a full LSD. The biggest pain is dropping the trans pulling it all apart and then reassembly then installing the trans back. IMO the LSD is the easiest part of the installation. No heavy parts during that part of the installation. :D

·
Registered
50 Posts
BlueStreak02 said:
are you installing it yourself? i heard the phantom is a bitch to install, but good luck!
I'm pulling the tranny and doing the clutch and fly work. Taking the tranny to a good tranny guy who will crack the case and install the phantom grip.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
BlueStreak02 said:
ill be daily driving, im confused and i wanna order all my shit tommorow. some people say organic for daily driving and others say cerametallic. and are you guys ordering from clubrsx?
It all preference. Just knowing that a clutch can handle the amount of HP gives me a sigh of relief. I don't mind the light chatter from 1st gear. After some time you get used to it. Purchased from Clubrsx :thumbsup: Don't forget to get the flywheel also.

·
Turbo RSX-S
112 Posts
If you have the money go with the Exedy Hyper clutch. This thing is awsome. I had the Exedy 3 puck cerametallic in the begining, it worked great but this 6puck Hyper has a higher clamping rate and it engages alot smoother. Exedy overall makes a great clutch :thumbsup:

Oh ya here's a pic. It just looks NICE

·
Registered
50 Posts
BlueStreak02 said:
P.S. how hard is the clutch install? can i do it with the correct tools and a lift? my buddy is a honda tech but hes never done an rsx clutch install. hes a little hesitant.
I'm doing the clutch and fly install thurs. night. Get a Helms manual, a must have. Friday I'm taking the tranny to a shop to have the Phantom put in. Guy says three hours work on the LSD. Friday night putting tranny back in and doing motor mounts. Will let you know how the install and everything went. Next thurs. putting in the CN stage 1.

DO the fly when you do the clutch. Flywheel will take about 10 minutes.

·
Turbo RSX-S
112 Posts
Get the Flywheel you'll wish you did if you dont. It's alot of work to pull the tranny, so get both. And yes get a Helm's.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
BlueStreak02 said:
P.S. how hard is the clutch install? can i do it with the correct tools and a lift? my buddy is a honda tech but hes never done an rsx clutch install. hes a little hesitant.
Clutch installs are easy. If your buddy is a tech, then he is more than capable of showing you the ropes with the install. The fact that he's alittle hesitant is weird tho.....its a transaxles. He works on honda's. Im sure he's changed the clutch on a transaxle before.

Also, if your buddy works for Honda, dont bother spending the money on a helms. Have him bring it up off of alldata and print up the procedure for clutch and flywheel removal. This will give you all the procedures(which is a plus) but more importantly it will give you all the torque specifications. This is really important.

And a quick note on torque and torque wrenches: Make sure you know how to read a torque wrench. Alot of people think they can, but are sadly mistaken. This doesnt mean second guess your self. If it seems easy for you, then it probably is, just double check. Torque is extremely important when working on cars. Alot of people overlook this.

And in case you didnt know, torque wrenches are most reliable and accurate in the middle two quaters range of the wrench. That means if you have a torque wrench that goes from 1 lb-ft to 100 lb-ft, the torque range you want to be using that wrench for will be 25 lb-ft to 75 lb-ft. If you are gonna be in the 1 lb-ft to 25 lb-ft or the 75 lb-ft to 100 lb-ft range, it is best to have a different torque wrench. Of course, this probably wont effect your install of the clutch, its more for people who are using torque wrenches daily. As long as you have a torque wrench for your install, and it is in calibration, you should be good to go.

Good luck.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts