Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering what colors you guys think would be best to color my nighthawk black car. I was thinking either red or yellow. But not sure how'd that look.

And also any DIY instructions for doing that would eb well appreciated. THanx

·
08 MDX with Sports
3,204 Posts
Nasty Colours

I was thinking about doing it in red but I seen some dried up/dusted/used up paint jobs on some eclipses lately and I have doubts about painting it.

My question is how long does it last and do I have to paint this thing every 3-4 months to keep it shine/clean?

-Tom

...2shakes away from choosing eternal blue at the end chose black, final answer Alex.

·
The Jedi Pimp, fah rizzle
56 Posts
Tom-

If you use a few coats of good heat resistant paint the paint will last a long time. I would say you would have to repaint every year or so. As for cleaning them- you can use a high pressure washer and that works just fine.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
i say get red it looks amazing with black:D

·
Registered
514 Posts
Do you also have to take the calipers off to paint them? I wanna paint it too but only if I can do it without taking the brake assembly apart. Thanks.

·
59 Posts
Dr Jones said:
I painted mine red... http://www.prism.gatech.edu/~gte534i/images/car1.jpg. I took the wheels off, and just used a regular paint brush and this paint. I did 3 coats about a week after I got the car, and it still looks like the day I painted them (nice and shiny)!
U used latex based paint on your calipers? Dude, that paint is gonna flake off! With the intense heat generated both ambient outside temperature combined with heavy braking, your calipers are going to need to be painted like every month. There's a reason why you need to use high temperature engine enamel paint. 'Cuz it actually BONDS to the surface of the calipers rather than just stick on. Even enamel can flake off. Powder coating is the best method since it is extremely resistant to temperature.

Anyway, good luck when you repaint your calipers.

-ben

·
Registered
241 Posts
Rev 2 Liv said:

Anyway, good luck when you repaint your calipers.

-ben
Yeah, I figured the same thing, but couldn't find high temp paint in a few minutes at walmart (I'm lazy) so I thought I'd try the enamel. As I said, it looks the same as the day I painted it, which was 6 weeks and 2900 miles ago. :p You'd think it would flake off, but it hasn't, and doesn't look like it's going too. High temp paint is prolly a better paint to use, but latex happened to work just fine for me! :D

G

·
snoopykul,

Turns out I just did the calipers on my GS-R last weekend. My car is white and the rims have blue center cap, so I opted for blue calipers. I use a paint called Foliatec which is supposed to be specifically for the purpose of painting calipers (heat resistance, finish, etc.). I got it from a shop called Ultra Performance through mail order, but I'm sure you can get it from a million different places. It's not cheap though. Rang me $58 with shipping. There might be less expensive alternatives, I don't know.

I jacked all four corners and removed the wheels. I took the extra step of removing the front calipers and pads so I could paint inside and out. It's more work and I'm not convinced I would do it again. I used some very fine brushes (1/4 to 1/2" wide) that I got at the local hardware store for $2.

This paint is in two part as there is a hardener you need to mix in the colored stuff. On the labed it says not to mix in a plastic cup and all. Since the quantity of hardener is pretty small, just dump it in the colored paint can and mix.

I had enough paint for 3 good coats all around. Make sure you don't fiddle with the calipers for a LONG time after painting (close to 24hrs) as the paint takes a while to become really hard. So far it looks good on the car, but it's only been a week so I don' t know about long term durability.

I'll post some pics of the process in a bit.

Hope this helps,
notb

G

·
Here's a pic of the front caliper after 2 of 3 coats applied. Notice how I covered the rotor. You also get an idea of the brush I used and how bad I am at taking picture. Yes, this is my fat finger covering half the image :(

notb

Attachments

·
Registered
376 Posts
Dr Jones said:
I painted mine red... http://www.prism.gatech.edu/~gte534i/images/car1.jpg. I took the wheels off, and just used a regular paint brush and this paint. I did 3 coats about a week after I got the car, and it still looks like the day I painted them (nice and shiny)!
After all these time, is the caliper still nice and shinny? I think I will paint my caliper once I pick up my blue rsx in November. But my friend was discouraging me from doing it cuz he thinks that it's a waste of time. It will get dirty from the brake dust in no time.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts