Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
1 up, 5 down
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys im looking to buy some wheels(18's) for my S but every wheel that i find that i like and aren't too expensive weigh like 20-25lbs each. stockies only weigh 16lbs. wouldn't the theory be to buy wheels equivalent or less than the weight of the stock wheels, well performance wise anyway. im just curious of what weight you guys are running.

If you know the weight of your wheels..... lets hear what you got

·
1 up, 5 down
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hey JCL do you notice that the heavier wheels slow you down??? or is the 4-9 lbs not noticable???? does anyone know at what weight you notice the power difference????

·
1 up, 5 down
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
18's fill up the wheel well more..... i guess if i want light i might have to go with 17's

·
the RR gods shine upon me
705 Posts
stock '07 Si 4DR wheels = 23 lbs apiece & 17 x 7.0 :(
Mugen GP... 16.5lbs apiece & 18 x 7.5J. on special thru 8thCivic.com until all 70 extra sets are sold. all info on special is listed below in the link. CollegeHillsHonda FTmfW!!!!!

http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55642
:thumbsup: :giggitygiggity: :love:

·
Registered
4,058 Posts
i run 18x8 because i got it for an extra 1000 when i bought my car so i said wth. y not. lol. yes these wheels r heavy it probably does slow you down but i have yet to take my car to the track and i dont think i would with my 18s or my stock 16s. i plan to get new suspension with 17s.

·
Stealth is more fun
594 Posts
hey JCL do you notice that the heavier wheels slow you down??? or is the 4-9 lbs not noticable???? does anyone know at what weight you notice the power difference????

There is no specific weight. For rims, you can probably estimate the change in inertia by assuming 2 lbs of change is like adding/removing 3 lbs of static weight in your car, ie. multiply the difference by 1.5, and don't forget to count all 4 rims. This is an estimate, as for 17" OEM rims I estimate it's closer to 1.4, but for my 18" Gram Light 57f's it's more like 1.5. For tires, the ratio is much closer to 2:1, so if each tire were 1 lb heavier than stock, that would be like adding 1*2*4= 8lbs of static weight to your car.

The 17" OEM rims weigh about 20.9 lbs each with stems and balancing weights, but the inertial effect is another ~8.5 lbs. The rim inertia is dependent upon the outer tire diameter.
The 17" OEM 215/45/17 tires filled with air weigh about 21.3 lbs, but the inertial effect is another ~21.5 lbs. Total 'weight' 4*(20.9+8.5+21.3+21.5)= ~289 lbs.

The 18" Gram Light 57f's weight about about 18.3 lbs each with center cap, stems, & balancing weights, but the inertial effect is another ~9.0 lbs. The rim inertia is dependent upon the outer tire diameter.
The 18" Eagle F1-GS-D3 225/35/18's filled with air weigh about 21.6 lbs, but the inertial effect is another ~21.5 lbs. Total 'weight' 4*(18.3+9+21.6+21.5)= ~282 lbs.

So although I went to 18" rims, because I choose light rims/tires I was actually able to shave off the equivalent of 7 lbs. Definitely not worthwhile from solely a cost perspective, but I got much better, wider tires and unique rims in the process.

Note that my 'weights' are only accurate for straight line driving. When turning or hitting a bump, lighter wheels/rims will be more responsive since they have less momentum. And again, I had to estimate those numbers based upon the distribution of material relative to the point of contact with the ground (from the center of the axle), which although I didn't do methodically, should give pretty reasonable results.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.