Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 691 Posts

·
These Colors Might Run
3,668 Posts
yeah, the interior isn't what I would call "noisy," but I do get some very minor rattling now and then. Not enough to make me angry, but not BMW-perfect.

Dislikes: The transmission isn't as good as it could be. It has a minor grind going into second gear, but no 3rd gear pop out like some people get. Still, honda manual transmissions provide better feel and action than any other I've driven (BMW, VW, Toyota). For comparison, an S2000 transmission is FAR superior.

That's the biggest one. I love my car!

·
FDA Approved
668 Posts
Some complaints I found for a 2006 RSX Type S...

Im not sure if it'd be the clutch it may just be the transmission in general, but it seems like every time my 3rd gear grinds it's going to blow up. It happens on occasion, but sometimes it'll grind like 2+ times in one day. some times i attribute it to me being new at driving stick, but some of the time it just catches a grind for the hell of it. scares the piss out of me because it feels like im ruining the tranny/clutch for no reason.

other than the 3rd gear grind, everythings smooth when i drive. every once in a while my 3rd gear will mash and i just slam the clutch as fast as i can so it just disengages everything. ehhhhh

the only reason i ask is it happened like 3 times today. its not like i wasnt paying attention to my shifting, it just kept happening today. it hasnt happened in almost a month but today it decided to have a field day :eek:
Car won't start..................
Just found condensation in my passenger tail :eek:
I do notice my car has it's good days and it's bad days. Sometimes it'll shift sooooo smooth, and then other days it'll pop out and grind all the f'ing time. :dontknow:
It's not a big deal, but I've never heard it before so it's kind of freaking me out..

when I shift into 5th, it makes a cracking sound kind of like plastic, or loud seran wrap. It's definately not the transmission. Almost like it's the shift boot cracking, but I can tell that's not it..

It only happens occasionally... about as rare if not rarer than the 3rd gear grind/popout. But recently it's been happening more and I'm not sure if it's anything to be concerned with or not... anyone else have this ?? :confused: :confused:
somewhat related issue....
My car seems to hesitate a little when starting sometimes. Just takes a while for the ignition to turn over. Would that be the ignition having a problem? or can i attribute it to the battery?

also, would any of these factors play a role in this problem? 35k miles, cold winter, or the gas tank level?
old thread, but this problem just recently happened to me and this thread was very helpful. so heres a bump.
Another window problem >>>> my drivers side... When i roll it up, usually on auto, it'll squeak like crazy. doesnt bother me, but im curious as to what it might be?
quick search = no luck.

It seems that the interior lights (the dome light) is commonly giving people trouble, but everyone that I read had some special case scenario...

My dome light just straight up doesn't turn on. Open doors = no light. Turn off ignition = no light. Lock/unlock = no light.

I was thinking it burnt out, but this has happened before, but randomly it started working again, (this was like 3 - 4 months ago). It's been off/dead/whatever for 2 days now, which is starting to worry me. Last time they started working again after 1 day.

Has this happened to anyone? and do you think it could be anything other than the dome light burnt out? :dontknow:

(and if this is a crazy-searchable question, just shoot me now)

·
infamous
822 Posts
I hate how only the driver side window is auto up and down but the passanger side window isn't.

·
Registered
6,067 Posts
the popping sound is fixed under warranty, I think they just put some rubber insulation on the spring. Changing to coilovers fixes the problem too.

You have to grease the windows every year or so.

If I could, I would actually keep my car because it's far better than some of the other shitboxes I've owned.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I have a 06 type s and base on my experience with the car, I will talk about some of the stuff you pointed out in your post. My car is bone stock by the way except the body kits which shouldn't matter much.

1. What do you mean by noisy interior? If you mean the sound cancelling inside the car then yea, the rsx isn't the best in doing that. But hey, isn't that the point of buying a sports car? To hear the engine rev? But if by noisy interior you mean the dash rattles when you drive, then some people have reported problems with that. But I have yet to experience it myself..

2. I do not hear a popping sound from my front strut whenever I drive. How loud was it?

3. The infamous 2nd gear grind and 3rd gear pop out issue. I've seen a lot of people with this problem but I really doubt it applies to every RSX with a standard gearbox. My car doesn't have that problem so I guess it really depends on your luck. Only thing I can say is pay extra attention when test driving it.

G

·
There are any number of things I could nit-pick every vehicle I've ever owned about.

The most important thing to keep in mind, however: For the price they can be had at, there is no other car on the road that can touch the RSX in terms of performance, styling, and reliability. With that in mind, what complaints can you really have?

·
Registered
267 Posts
#1 reason is the lack of tq. the initial rush of having decent power fades quickly after you buy it and you realize....this car is gutless especially if you have people in the car you cant even get on the freeway decently.
#2 leather seats with the only oem/non exspensive option being to trade for the ugly cloth ones acura stuck in the base models
#3 it is loud as hell on the highway. try yelling to your passenger, they might hear you. that is not even a problem though since the car doesnt weigh much i figure sound proofing was deleted to lighten it up.
# 4 junk for stock tires. instantly replace those bad boys and you will think your driving on rails.

If i did it all over again i would have got a wrx but you live and learn. i like the rsx just it is kinda wimpy in some departments.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Hey guys, I decided to join the forum after lurking for awhile to learn as much about the '05-'06 RSX Type S as I possibly could before I buy one.

I regret not doing my homework on my current car ('03 Eclipse RS 5SPD) and rushed into buying it without really seeing all the cars that were out there and inspecting the vehicle enough.

We have a thread over on club3g.com where we talk about what we don't like about our cars so I'd thought I'd make one on here so I can know what to look for when I go to buy my RSX.

From the searching I have done on RSX's I have read that

1. It has a noisy interior (which I hate because so does my 3G)
2. The front struts make a "poping" sound and acrua will not fix it or acknowledge it (will switching to coilovers eliminate this sound?)
3. Problems with tranny such as 2nd gear grinding and 3rd gear pop outs (wait till engine warms up and put in some synthetic mtf the best I can do to fix this?)

I'm almost 100% on buying the RSX, since the benefits of this car far outweigh these problems, but I just wanted to hear from you guys first hand want you don't like about this car.

In no way am I hating or bashing RSX's just trying to get some truthful feedback. Thanks.
Dude, you're gonna have to learn to search. All of this stuff has already been covered on the forums.

Snaaake... snaaaake... oooohhh it's a snaaaake!

1 - 20 of 691 Posts