Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

what filter do u use?

Tags
filter
2K views 43 replies 25 participants last post by  Jo-Bash 
#1 ·
Was wondering what brand of filter used most on clubrsx I.E Fram, K&N, Wix, etc.....This is for people with the stock air box. and was also wondering how often do u change the air filter.

#5 ·
I use $2 Supertech oil filters. Filters are essentially all the same. Puralator Pure 1 and Fram Tough Guard are good "premuim" filters. Air filters get more efficient with use. I go a full 30k because the bigger pores get filled up and the air is forced through progressively smaller ones, producing BETTER filtration. One flow is adequate, more flow does nothing. Thaink about it.

#14 ·
I use $2 Supertech oil filters. Filters are essentially all the same. Puralator Pure 1 and Fram Tough Guard are good "premuim" filters. Air filters get more efficient with use. I go a full 30k because the bigger pores get filled up and the air is forced through progressively smaller ones, producing BETTER filtration. One flow is adequate, more flow does nothing. Thaink about it.
:confused: You are robbing your gas mileage due to inadequate air flow...

#6 ·
spoon sports here! nothing special except insane price tag, but my gas mileage went from 25 to 28, it sounds nicer, and it felt a little bit peppier. Im a mechanic and i know how to feel for differences, so dont expect to feel anything drastic. If you do... its all in your head!

#19 ·
Spoon or Mugen drop in filters, FTW!!!!!!:weeeeeeeeee:

#26 ·
Not to jump in the middle of a shitfight but AudiJunkie is pretty knowledgable when it comes to oils and filters (I dont know about air filters and LOL @ everyone in this thread going back n forth between oil and air filters). And in his defense, he's here b/c he's a former RSX owner... just like 50% of the clubrsx population who has moved on to bigger and better and I'd say an A4 is a step up from a base RSX (or even a type S). German cars aren't my pick but to each their own man. Finally, although his post about 18 inch rims and high wings was uncalled for, LOL @ the 3 posts "look kid..." then "go post about 18 inch wheels and big wings" then the same person who said "look kid" says "why dont you post about dicks" how mature...

I don't know the guy personally but I do know when he talks about oils and filters a lot of it is waaayyy over my head but what I do understand seems to make sense.

You don't have to be a prick cause someone on the internet has a different opinion on a topic than you do...

there, I've said it.... :wavey:

#29 ·
spoon, mugen, comptech, hondata, arc, all do not recommend you remove the stock airbox due to the way i-vtec works in the k series, instead they recommend gutted airbox and drop in filter, or one of these airbox intake kits. As far as oil filters go, IMO HAMP is the shit.

#30 ·
This time around, I want to go a full 4 months/12k on the German Syntec 0w-30 I installed, so I took a look at mid-grade filters. I went with Fram Tough-Guard, the gray one for $5. It has glass-cellulose media (some of the most efficient tested), silicone anti-drainback valve, screen-over bypass valve, PTFE gasket and the more solid can with the grippy coating. Not bad for $5. Ususal fare for 3 month oil change interval is SUPERTECH. As for airfilters, I go a full 30k on them, just put in a STP. Heavy metal screen inside and finer screen outside with a nice soft foam gasket. I'm not too picky about oil filters and even less so with air filters.

#33 ·
I don't follow your post exactly, but the filtration thing is pretty strait-forward. When a filter is new, it has a large range of pores and air tends to travel through the path of least resistance....the larger pores. As they clog, air is forced through progressively smaller holes, increasing the EFFICIENCY of the filter. Less and smaller material is allowed to pass....which is the function of a filter. It flows a certian rate. It's already accounted for. Does anyone here know the acceptable flow rate for a 2.0 litre engine at 7000rpm? It's easy to calculate and I assure you a stock filter is able to flow at that rate. Again, once flow is adequate, more flow does nothing. There is however, a energy gain to be had with reduceing resistance to flow. Is that energy gain some mad pow-a that the engine was unable to produce until a CAI went on? Not really. The only power gain is the ~difference~ in power needed to pull the air through the one filter verses the other, that's it. We are talking about sub-vacuum cleaner amounts of power.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.