Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Former Lurker
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about beginning the long process of modding my car. Right now my car is bone stock with tinted windows. Its a 2002 model that I bought new in '03 but as I think about getting a new car now I think I would be better off spending a couple grand modding it a bit to get more enjoyment out of it instead of blowing tens of thousands on a new car.

Where do I begin?

I guess important to me is sound, performance and looks. When I say performance, I don't really race but I drive very spirited. So on average on the highway its between 80-95mph depending on the road I am on. I go around curves fast enough to make my tires squeel a bit, but nothing super dangerous most of the time. I would like to squeeze a bit more performance out of my car so I am thinking start off with exhaust and intake? The other way around? Which goes first, the exhaust or intake?

I think the sound is important.. I don't want a very loud exhaust. I'd like it to be a little deeper and louder than stock but not 10x so.

Finally, who knows where I can get a good priced 6k HID kit??

Of course this will all come after the body shop fixes my hit and run dents..

thanks for the help!

·
Meth Blow Speed = my life
7,078 Posts
First thing First.

You need to have a specific goal for the car performance wise. Do you want it to run a certain time in the 1/4 mile? Is there a friend you want to be faster than? Is there a dyno # you want to be around? I personally decided that I wanted a strong 13 second car before I started modding which let me know Boost was a very possible option. You need to let me know what your goals are, and then I can tell you a pretty good path to head down.

·
staxx
814 Posts
First thing First.

You need to have a specific goal for the car performance wise. Do you want it to run a certain time in the 1/4 mile? Is there a friend you want to be faster than? Is there a dyno # you want to be around? I personally decided that I wanted a strong 13 second car before I started modding which let me know Boost was a very possible option. You need to let me know what your goals are, and then I can tell you a pretty good path to head down.
:iamwiths:

once you know where you want to end, its easier to start

·
Former Lurker
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
First thing First.

Hm, well I guess my goals are pretty simple right now. As of now I don't really need to have a huge boost to performance. I merely want to add some kick while adding better sound and looks. I don't think I will really be in a position where I need an extremely fast car. I want to focus on those simpler mods first and then do somethign with the interior and sound system before thinking about doing other things. What would you recommend?

If you had to take a guess off the top of your head.. lets say I did intake, exhaust, and an HID kit. How much on average would that run me, not including labor to install.

·
7,078 Posts
Ok...I gotcha.

You are EXACTLY where I was when I first started modding (minus the HID's...I only wanted performance first).

If you are to start off with simple bolt on's I highly recommend an intake for your first project to do YOURSELF! Fujita F5 CAI is what I got and I've had no complaints with it. It suited me well for minor bolt ons and it has also done a great job with my supercharger. It sounds great and gives you a very nice increase in power that you can feel. Do not worry about hydrolock and all that other jaz people claim about the Cold Air Intake (CAI). Just dont drive your car in water that goes over your bumper:laughing:

Once you've done the intake (and I would just start with the intake first) you'll get an idea on if you really want to continue modding. It took me almost 4 hours to do the intake because it was my first time modding ever.

If you decide that you want to continue I then recommend a good exhaust and race header combination. This will give you a great sound and a very noticeable bump in power. Since your power goals are not VERY high right now I HIGHLY recommend the GReddy SP2 catback exhaust and the DC Race Header. These two coupled together got me more compliments on how an import SHOULD sound from import and domestic people. I have NEVER gotten a complaint from the exhaust and its not loud at all. Under full throttle it puts out a nice deep tone.

That is what I would recommend for bolt ons because those have worked GREAT for me and did exactly what I wanted.

·
Former Lurker
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok...I gotcha.

You are EXACTLY where I was when I first started modding (minus the HID's...I only wanted performance first).

If you are to start off with simple bolt on's I highly recommend an intake for your first project to do YOURSELF! Fujita F5 CAI is what I got and I've had no complaints with it. It suited me well for minor bolt ons and it has also done a great job with my supercharger. It sounds great and gives you a very nice increase in power that you can feel. Do not worry about hydrolock and all that other jaz people claim about the Cold Air Intake (CAI). Just dont drive your car in water that goes over your bumper:laughing:

Once you've done the intake (and I would just start with the intake first) you'll get an idea on if you really want to continue modding. It took me almost 4 hours to do the intake because it was my first time modding ever.

If you decide that you want to continue I then recommend a good exhaust and race header combination. This will give you a great sound and a very noticeable bump in power. Since your power goals are not VERY high right now I HIGHLY recommend the GReddy SP2 catback exhaust and the DC Race Header. These two coupled together got me more compliments on how an import SHOULD sound from import and domestic people. I have NEVER gotten a complaint from the exhaust and its not loud at all. Under full throttle it puts out a nice deep tone.

That is what I would recommend for bolt ons because those have worked GREAT for me and did exactly what I wanted.

Sounds good. I think I will research the exhaust and see if I can find some reviews and youtube clips on it. I was thinking GReddy for the exhaust anyway so thats good that you said that.

Just for kicks, if I put a cold air intake in, and happen to get caught driving through a puddle, not bumper high but a couple inches deep.. would that cause any trouble?

Thanks for the advice.

·
7,078 Posts
You will not have any trouble driving through inches of water. I have accidentally driven through water that was touching the bumper on the highway. Water shot all over the windshield, couldnt even see...no problems. You'll be fine with the CAI.

I have some vids (I took them off of youtube but I'll put them back up here soon) of the SP2 and the Race Header. Very nice sound.

·
n00b/lurk member
60 Posts
:iamwiths:

go cai, then rh/exhaust. these 3 thing will set you back between $1000 - $1500 for decent parts, new or used.

but be prepared...modding is a slippery slope :vtec:

dont forget some tires that will be grippier than the stockie michelins.

·
Former Lurker
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Another thing.. I bought this car in '02 and back then I was trying to save pennies so I didn't get the type S, and my insurance was sky high then too since I was young and had been in an accident with my previous car. So I have an '02 not Type S but the Fujita cold air intakes I see are the type S ones. Will that fit in my regular? I see regular fujita intakes for my model.

Thanks

·
7,078 Posts
My bad...I did not realize you had a base.

Im sorry but my knowledge of RSX's sticks with the type S. :face: Im sorry! I dont know if there is a CAI for the base from Fujita.

·
Former Lurker
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Will the regular fujita intake be ok? I know its not as good as the CAI but how much of a difference is there?

Does the regular intake give any sort of sound different at all too?

thanks

·
7,078 Posts
When you say regular intake I am assuming your talking about the Short Ram Intake. It will give you some gains but not as much as the CAI. It will however be as loud! The VTEC crossover is VERY noticeable with these intakes:) You'll like that for sure.

·
Former Lurker
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well that works for me then! I found a fujita short ram intake for about $178. Does that sound about right?

·
7,078 Posts
sounds good...Go for it.

·
Curious Gooner
3,717 Posts
Fod HID go to retro-solutions.com

·
7,078 Posts
Or VVME.com. Some people think its cheap knock off but I've had them for almost a year now and I've had no problems. $43 for HIDs...not too bad:)

You can look at my avatar to see what they look like.

·
Curious Gooner
3,717 Posts
Or VVME.com. Some people think its cheap knock off but I've had them for almost a year now and I've had no problems. $43 for HIDs...not too bad:)

but their ordering system and customer service is gay!

i originally tried ordering from them on their website, and it like kept giving me this error, invalid purchase... so i try it again.... then i change my info, maybe i was supposed to type in United States of America instead of U.S.A... still didn't work... so i tried like 2 more times, then gave up. Then like 4 hours later i have 4 receipts in my email saying to pay for 4 HID Kits.... i was like wtf? in not giving u my paypal info. So i tried to call, and i get some Chinese recording saying that my number isn't in the system so they wont answer... gah... so annoying. Then i went with R-S and todd took care of me.

·
Former Lurker
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

stwatson, what color did you get? Is there specific ones that work and don't work? I.e.: if you go too high it wont work?

I'm thinking 6000k or 8000k. I like the look of yours, which color are they?

thanks

1 - 20 of 35 Posts