Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
41 - 60 of 93 Posts

· Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
area under the curves

Just for fun I compared the areas under the HP curves during 3rd gear for the dyno plot posted by Hondawerx (assuming stock type-s ratios). The ITR setup is putting down 29.5% more power to the ground! That's impressive.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
954 Posts
BlackNite said:
Maybe they were talking about Type-S cams with Honata flash vs Stock ITR. If so, THEN that statement would be close to accurate. But if you do the same thing with the ITR cams (Hondata flash) then the ITR cams still walk over the Type-S cams/w flash.
nah, this one guy was talking about type r cams. since most of the people here say it is a worthwhile mod and a lot of the dynos prove it i am convinced. btw, this is the link to the thread... http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=880601
 

· Registered
Joined
·
949 Posts
Another LeveL DJS said:
13.9 seems right with typr R set-up...i have the k20a swap and so far my fastest was a 13.92 with shitty tires...
That's the same thing I have ran on stock cams, stock tires.

Notice the guys avatar on honda-tech?
 

· SS Specialist to the 6th
Joined
·
11,920 Posts
JTSmith said:
That's the same thing I have ran on stock cams, stock tires.

Notice the guys avatar on honda-tech?
I understand where you are coming from, but I'm sure you'll always have more HP out of ITR cams than stock Type-S cams given equal conditions. I think your point is that you get HP, but the extra HP is not worth the money correct? I myself am going the ITR route, but my setup will be mild (ITR cams, ITR IM, K-pro with ITR flash.. eventually dyno tuned, S2K springs, RSR exahust). My goal is about 210 WHP with my 18's on. Without changing my header to say the Toda or DC race header, I will be hard pressed to reach my goal that easily with stock cams.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
5,292 Posts
JTSmith said:
That's the same thing I have ran on stock cams, stock tires.

Notice the guys avatar on honda-tech?
Drop in the ITR cams + reflash and see how your times improve. It's hard to compare between cars on the track or the dyno. You need to compare between mods on a single car.
 

· Little engine that could
Joined
·
1,150 Posts
Drop in the ITR cams + reflash and see how your times improve. It's hard to compare between cars on the track or the dyno. You need to compare between mods on a single car.
:iamwiths:
And even then there's still many variables that will effect your dyno/track time such as ambient air temp, track conditions etc... But for the most part, its best to compare parts using the same car.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
949 Posts
BlackNite said:
I understand where you are coming from, but I'm sure you'll always have more HP out of ITR cams than stock Type-S cams given equal conditions. I think your point is that you get HP, but the extra HP is not worth the money correct?
exactly
 

· Registered
Joined
·
949 Posts
Glimpse said:
Drop in the ITR cams + reflash and see how your times improve. It's hard to compare between cars on the track or the dyno. You need to compare between mods on a single car.
This is what everybody says. No one really compares a hondata4 setup to an itr cam/reflash setup. Everyone just keeps looking at the numbers from the stock ecu to the itr reflash/itr cams.

We can go back and forth on this forever, but it all boils down to "do you want to spend $400-$500 and a solid afternoon installing them just for a minor gain?"

I'll be glad to race anyone near me(is there anyone near south ga :dontknow: ) that has an itr cam setup, just to prove my point :D
 

· Premium Member
Joined
·
7,792 Posts
This one doesn't take a whole lot of mathemagical skill.

A DC5R is rated at 220hp vs Type S at 200.
Factor in a little driveline loss and 15-18whp gains with cams, springs, intake manifold and dc5r reflash would be "like duh, it says so on the engine specs"
Actually... I'd expect a lil less since some of the 20hp diff must come from the header too.

But cams alone? Probably not going to do a whole lot.
Personally, if I was looking at NA, I'd go TODA.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
5,292 Posts
JTSmith said:
This is what everybody says. No one really compares a hondata4 setup to an itr cam/reflash setup. Everyone just keeps looking at the numbers from the stock ecu to the itr reflash/itr cams.

We can go back and forth on this forever, but it all boils down to "do you want to spend $400-$500 and a solid afternoon installing them just for a minor gain?"

I'll be glad to race anyone near me(is there anyone near south ga :dontknow: ) that has an itr cam setup, just to prove my point :D
Then compare it against hondata #4.

But it's not as simple as two cars racing each other, you know that. There are many other factors at play.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
949 Posts
Glimpse said:
Then compare it against hondata #4.

But it's not as simple as two cars racing each other, you know that. There are many other factors at play.
But wouldn't you expect for someone with say toda c's or crower's big cams to pull on you if you raced? I mean what's the point if it's not noticeable.

Bottom line, I would be pissed if my cammed car couldn't or could barely pull on a stock cammed car.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
5,292 Posts
JTSmith said:
But wouldn't you expect for someone with say toda c's or crower's big cams to pull on you if you raced? I mean what's the point if it's not noticeable.

Bottom line, I would be pissed if my cammed car couldn't or could barely pull on a stock cammed car.
Naturally, big cams will pull on a ITR setup. But how many people are going to sacrifice VTC for Spec C's, or have that kind of money in the first place? Power is an expensive thing.

Saying it is not worth it though is a mistake IMO. The ITR setup does great compared to stock or even Hondata #4. It is simply a matter of bang for the buck, what you're willing to pay, and what you're trying to get.
 

· SS Specialist to the 6th
Joined
·
11,920 Posts
JTSmith said:
But wouldn't you expect for someone with say toda c's or crower's big cams to pull on you if you raced? I mean what's the point if it's not noticeable.

Bottom line, I would be pissed if my cammed car couldn't or could barely pull on a stock cammed car.

I'd be upset if I had ITR cams + ITR flash and lost to a Hondata #4 stock cam car. But ITR cams + ITR flash > Hondata #4 so I'll sleep just fine. Some people can rest just knowing there are bigger/better cams available. My small wallet dictates that I must go the ITR route :D
 

· Registered
Joined
·
954 Posts
according to the crower thread, the cams will retail for about $800 bucks, $400 is u want the upgraded springs/retainers. i guess i will wait for other people to buy crowers and see how they go, or just do the itr route which i originally planned and my wallet and wife wouldn't get too mad about.
 

· Little engine that could
Joined
·
1,150 Posts
Or instead of waiting for someone else to get it and install it. You get it first and tell everyone that they suck so that no one else would have them. But you know that they're better than Toda's cams.
 
41 - 60 of 93 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top