Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Monsters of the Midway
15,106 Posts
krayzeeimport said:
what is the most hp handling clutch that is still streetable and how much power can it hold?
What do you consider streetable? how rought the engagement is? chatter?

·
Registered
4,313 Posts
clutch masters fx600, guaranteed to never break. all depends what you call streetable though, to some people its extremely hard, and to others they say that they have felt worse. For my first week I was constantly stalling out, but now you cant even tell its a rough clutch when your in the passenger seat.

·
Monsters of the Midway
15,106 Posts
DC5 RSX said:
clutch masters fx600, guaranteed to never break. all depends what you call streetable though, to some people its extremely hard, and to others they say that they have felt worse. For my first week I was constantly stalling out, but now you cant even tell its a rough clutch when your in the passenger seat.
How much you pay for it?

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
what i consider streetable is where i can ride the clutch a bit durring rush hour and bumber to bumber traffic without a problem.

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
Whats a problem? Is chatter a problem? a firm engagement isn necessarily a problem, but the nature of the beast. The only time you would have "problems" is if the clutch blew up, which would be if you have too much hp for the clutch to handle. If you want to hold alot of power, youre going to have to give up some comfort.

·
Traction is for pussies
4,404 Posts
8,021 Posts
20psi w/ Exedy Stage 2 3 puck clutch.

Daily bumper to bumper traffic for 3 hours everyday.
2000+ miles a month. Didnt really mind so much and then I realised how much comfort I missed out on when I sat in traffic in my TL :D Automatic...hahah

edit - Oh and ACT flywheel

·
Traction is for pussies
4,404 Posts
theFlyingCostello said:
Ill be using the ACT Xtreme pressure plate, 6 puck Extreme clutch disc, and Prolite flywheel for my turbo. Should be more than enough.
have you driven a car with the xtreme pressure plate before? if not, i suggest you try before committing to it

it is fantastic for racing, but beyond awful for daily driving...i built a friends motor (ls-vtec 9:1 comp. turbo) and when putting it back together, that is what we used...it becomes unbearable, even with a strong calf muscle

unless of course you aren't going to be driving this daily...if it is for weekends or just for the track, that is an excellent pressure plate

·
Registered
249 Posts
krayzeeimport said:
what is the most hp handling clutch that is still streetable and how much power can it hold?
First of all clutches are rated by torque, not HP since HP is relative to rpm and clutches are not. Besides that though, remember that there are always tradeoffs. As others have said, it depends on how you define "streetable". For instance our Xtreme pressure plate is very strong and with our street disc will hold a lot of torque, but the pedal effort is stiff. You would hate me when you are in traffic. We could design it with lighter pedal effort, but then clutch life suffers. On the other hand you can use a more aggressive disc like our puck type and our HD pressure plate and hold basically the same power. Now you are compromising a little engagment comfort (it chatters a bit). I don't know if that helps, but the bottom line is don't buy more than you need and if something sounds too good to be true, it probably is. There is a lot of hype and misleading information out there.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts