Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, my car has like 6,000 miles on it and i want to give it an oil change becuase i just no the car cant go all the way up to 10,000 miles on that shitty oil like the book says. i want to use the honda oil filter, but what kind of synthetic oil does acura use cas i want to use the same. I have heard its moble t 1 synthetic 5w 30 but i just wanna make sure i get the same synthetic oil that they use, if anyone knows let me know.
laterz
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
206 Posts
Check the manual or call the dealer just to be positive.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,652 Posts
Dealers all do their own thing, Acura of Lalaland will likely use different oil than Acura of BFE Land
 

·
Central PA AMSOIL dealer
Joined
·
5,590 Posts
I changed my oil at 10,000 miles like the book says. I never burn a drop of oil , the oil came out looking very clean and did not have a gas smell to it. Meaning the oil was still in good shape. I know my engines been properly broken in like Honda suggests also. Honda doesn't use synthetic and doesn't recommend it unless the engines been fully broken in. Meaning, don't put synthetic in it yet until you've passed 10,000 miles. Honda oil is a Mobil product, but it's not synthetic. Mobil supposedly does a blend specific to Honda, but I think it's just regular oil. If you want a good oil filter, I would suggest something other then a Honda/FRAM/Honeywell. The filter that came with your car is superior, so if you can find a JDM Honda filter, that would probably be your best bet. Or a HAMP filter
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
487 Posts
7900rpms said:
Meaning, don't put synthetic in it yet until you've passed 10,000 miles. Honda oil is a Mobil product, but it's not synthetic. Mobil supposedly does a blend specific to Honda, but I think it's just regular oil. If you want a good oil filter, I would suggest something other then a Honda/FRAM/Honeywell. The filter that came with your car is superior, so if you can find a JDM Honda filter, that would probably be your best bet. Or a HAMP filter

1) Using synthetic isn't necessary.

2) If you go to Acura dealership A, they may use Valvoline. If you go to Acura dealership B, they may use Castrol. As was mentioned previously, each dealership gets oil delivered independently. They will all use the same grade for the designated vehicle, however. Honda recommends you use 5w-30. You can use 10W-30 if your car will not see extremely low temps.
 

·
Central PA AMSOIL dealer
Joined
·
5,590 Posts
Z4_LSVTEC said:
1) Using synthetic isn't necessary.

2) If you go to Acura dealership A, they may use Valvoline. If you go to Acura dealership B, they may use Castrol. As was mentioned previously, each dealership gets oil delivered independently. They will all use the same grade for the designated vehicle, however. Honda recommends you use 5w-30. You can use 10W-30 if your car will not see extremely low temps.
1) You are correct, and I don't use synthetic.

2) You are correct again. I buy my oil at the Honda dealer, not the Acura dealer since the Acura dealer doesn't carry Honda oil. Isn't it weird Acura dealers don't carry real Honda oil. Oh well, it would probably be overpriced anyway. Plus my Honda dealer is right next door to the Acura dealer, so it's not out of my way.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,782 Posts
dc5guy said:
Hey, my car has like 6,000 miles on it and i want to give it an oil change becuase i just no the car cant go all the way up to 10,000 miles on that shitty oil like the book says. i want to use the honda oil filter, but what kind of synthetic oil does acura use cas i want to use the same. I have heard its moble t 1 synthetic 5w 30 but i just wanna make sure i get the same synthetic oil that they use, if anyone knows let me know.
laterz

Officially, Honda does not use synthetic. Some dealers might, but Honda oil is plain old Group III dino 5W-30.

The OEM oil filter is made by Fram. It's a piece of crap as far as filtering abilities.

I personally recommend you switch to Mobil 1 5W-30 with a Mobil 1 M1-110 filter. Many here use this combination. I personally use Mobil 1 0W-30 and a Mobil 1 M1-110 filter.

There are a number of posts on oil analysis on this board. They contain good information. It has been proven that Mobil 1 synthetic is outstanding in these engines.
 

·
Central PA AMSOIL dealer
Joined
·
5,590 Posts
Hey fellas, where can I have an oil analysis done at? I am using the Mugen MT105 engine treatment oil along with regular Honda Genuine 5w-30 oil. I'm just curious to know what this Mugen stuff is doing for me. I'll soon be changing my oil. Unfortunately, I'm using the OEM filter by Honeywell/FRAM.:confused:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,437 Posts
call Oil Analyzers at 1-715-395-0222 to order a kit ~ $26
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,437 Posts
http://www.oaitesting.com./
I use M1 5w-30 , now 0w-20 at 10kmis. with Fram X2 filters ~10 yrs ago. Before this it was with my son's '95 LS Teg, now at 150kmis.
Not to be confusing too much, I have used M1 since '88 at 8500 mi + increments.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top