Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have type s with greddy turbo kit and just wondering what kind of fly wheel and clutch i should get. any suggestions?

·
TeH Brown Ninja Turtle
1,238 Posts
i had the exedy cerametallic and i really liked it, during break in theres chatter and its hard to engage but after the break in period its really good... bip bip just installed his and xcell also has this clutch...

·
Senior Member My Ass
1,650 Posts
i've got the act hdss with fidanza fly. no chatter smooth engagement and stock feel.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
As Inprogress2 mentioned, I have an Exedy Cerametallic clutch and flywheel. There might be chatter during breakin, but it's well worth it because the clutch grabs strongly without any slippage.

·
Senior Member My Ass
1,650 Posts
you're able to stay in the power band longer between shifts with the fly.

·
Registered
249 Posts
We just released our Prolite flywheel for the RSX and recently released an XTSS which handles great torque capacity with smooth engagement and long life. If you need something less drastic or more aggressive, of course we can accomodate that as well. I don't mean to advertise but most people don't know they are available. If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask (email preferred).

·
BOOST
1,606 Posts
p220 said:
you're able to stay in the power band longer between shifts with the fly.
could you explain this a little more to my newbie ass =)

I only bought the exedy stage 2 clutch, not installed yet, i read that for stage one turbo flywheel isnt needed as much...

·
Registered
249 Posts
p220 said:
your rpm's stay higher longer.
Nope!! I think you are confused. How can less inertia help rpm's stay higher? Quite the opposite. Once a heavy flywheel is in motion, it doesn't like to stop. With a lighter flywheel you can get rpms faster, but you actually loose rpm faster as well. Think of the flywheel as a battery, of sorts. The lighter it is, the more power available now... less available in storage (in the form of ineria). It helps with acceleration in first and second, but is more tempermental to stalling or wheelspin and you will get less hit when you shift to the next gear. A lighter flywheel will also help to decelerate the enginewhen coming into a corner, for instance.

·
Senior Member My Ass
1,650 Posts
thanks for explaining that, i retract that last statement. i always assumed my rpm's stayed higher longer since the flywheel install. can u explain "less hit"?

·
Registered
249 Posts
p220 said:
thanks for explaining that, i retract that last statement. i always assumed my rpm's stayed higher longer since the flywheel install. can u explain "less hit"?
Assuming you have a great clutch (ACT comes to mind for some reason) if you rev up your engine to 8000 rpm and drop the clutch in 3rd gear, with a heavy flywheel it may burn the tires for 50 ft before lugging the engine down. With a light flywheel, it may stall the engine at 5 ft.

Another example is when you shift to the next gear, up or down and there is a big difference in engine speed before and after the shift, the transition is going to be more severe with a heavier flywheel. During the shift to a higher gear, the car will tend to leap forward more with a heavier flywheel. When you downshift, it tends to pull back harder because it takes more energy to match the heavier flywheel to the speed of the input shaft.

·
Senior Member My Ass
1,650 Posts
thanks, even though it's as clear as mud. lol btw i have an hdss(great clutch)

·
Registered
249 Posts
p220 said:
thanks, even though it's as clear as mud...
It's difficult without show and tell.
...Kinda like when I explained the birds and the bees to my kids. Some things are better left to the imagination.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts