Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I'm sure this has been asked before, but I have I/H/E on a base rsx. Do I continual to use 86 reg fuel (like the manual says) or do I use 88 or 91?

What do you guys use- any differences?:driving:

·
R.I.P Turbo'ed base auto
9,377 Posts
i know that hondata recommends like 91 or 93 octane with their products, so im guessing that the higher level octane the better your car will run. In my friends 01 330ci he always uses 93, then one day he had no money so he put in regular gas (cheapest one) and his car ran horrible after, it sounded like crap.

·
Registered
149 Posts
its safe to use cheap gas in the base with I/H/E but if you get hondata or run some sort of forced induction you have to use 91 or better

·
Registered
547 Posts
Rioken is correct. It is safe to use lower octane gas on a base with only I/H/E.

However, I've seen a dyno where a stock k20a3 made 2-3whp more on the dyno using higher-octane gas.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well I know with hondata, you have to use premium (91) b/c hondata adjusts the vtec timing or something like that. but with IHE there is no adjustment...there's just more airflow....

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
You can run regular 87 gas with those mods. Hondata advances timing which makes it highly advisable to use the highest pump octane so that the fuel does not ignite in the cylinder before it should and damage your valves.

But intake and exhaust does nothing, it just pumps more fuel into the cylinder to compensate for the larger amount of air, it doesn't alter fire timing.

·
Relish then catch up
1,884 Posts
At least use 87. However, I found the base is sluggish as hell on 87 though. 89 feels better.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
I don't see why we'd need a poll. It doesn't really matter what other people use, that's their preference. The Base was designed for 87 octane. More air flow doesn't change the spark and valve timing.

I use 93 octane on the interstate for long trips but that's because of preference. I get no better gas mileage and lower economy thanks to the higher price of the gasoline. Some people may observe better gas mileage with 91 or 93 octane, but does that 20 or 30 cents extra at the pump for a couple miles more per gallon equal out to less money? Uhm, no.

·
Registered
345 Posts
James S said:
I don't see why we'd need a poll.
The same questions are asked over and over. People say the same answer, "Do a search because it's been asked before."

I think that if we have a poll on gas, intake, & exhaust; it will eliminate a lot of these questions. Assuming that the poll is made a sticky.

Better yet, maybe we should have a FAQ section for the base owners.

·
bye RSX, hello TSX
1,348 Posts
Higher octane gas is used due to higher compression and/or becaused of advanced timing to prevent knock. Using a higher octone then whats recommend even if you just have I/H/E is just throwing money out. You might gain the fore mentioned 1-2hp but is that worth it?

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
waste of money imo. just get 87, i mean like soeone mentioned earlier, is 2-3 hp, or 1-2 mpg really worth that extra 20 cents per gallon, or about 2-3 dollars a tank. that's about an extra 2 gallons, or 60 miles. versus about 15-25 at the very most exra mpg by using premium. u decide. some ppl just feel safer on the 91, and i don't blame them.

btw, doesn't the 330ci require 91?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts