Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I'm new to all of this and I'm deciding on a few new parts.

My car -> 04 BASE RSX

I want some bass so
12" (single or dual?) I want to use some trunk space, but not all of it, I DO want to keep my spare tire!

Head unit (Not sure which, I want MP3/Ipod compat, detachable ofc).

Amp.

Possibly**
New speakers for my stock speakers .

Which types?

I have about a ~$500 budget I'm willing to drop on ALL of this. (I can spend a little more, but for now, I want to start slow).

What do you guys rec getting first? Head unit and sub/amp then get new front speakers? Or Sub/Amp then Head unit?

Thanks a lot for the help!

·
See me on REAL guitar.
1,413 Posts
So I'm new to all of this and I'm deciding on a few new parts.

My car -> 04 BASE RSX

I want some bass so
12" (single or dual?) I want to use some trunk space, but not all of it, I DO want to keep my spare tire!

Head unit (Not sure which, I want MP3/Ipod compat, detachable ofc).

Amp.

Possibly**
New speakers for my stock speakers .

Which types?

I have about a ~$500 budget I'm willing to drop on ALL of this. (I can spend a little more, but for now, I want to start slow).

What do you guys rec getting first? Head unit and sub/amp then get new front speakers? Or Sub/Amp then Head unit?

Thanks a lot for the help!
in for answers im in the same spot as u

·
oh hai there!1!!
113 Posts
:/ well... depending on the par of quality you want... 500 is a fairly small budget for a HU amp and sub... even before you get speakers in the mix.. unless of course you run used product that you can find :) average HU cost is like... 150 then your amp... if you are buying retail and plan on any decent amount of power... lookin 300ish (can be enough for two subwoofers depending of course on the sub itself) and of course the sub(s) wich would be... 200ish... a box, and wiring.. thats 650 before the box and amp wiring :/ i grabbed my figures from items like RF p300.1 for the amp and some P1's for an entry level sub... its doable at 500 but i think it will limit your results... stop by an audio shop... bestbuy works (i work there ;)) and just give it all a listen... HU's boil down a lot to just how they work... and iPod compatibility is almost universally applicable now. If it was me, i'd wait a month until the new product line for all the brands roll out. Pioneer's new HU's are going to be dope, and Best Buy will be carrying kicker and polk in the spring. I'd grab a pioneer HU, polk subs, and a polk or rockford fosgate amp? check it all out for yourself man. Car audio is a darn near ENDLESS spectrum of product. there is a lot out there.

·
oh hai there!1!!
113 Posts
well for the sub and amp that are in that package, thats a really good deal. the only thing that i run into.. is you are buying subs... subs, if not treated correctly can blow at really any time. so... you are buying from a website that i have no idea where they stand on their return/warranties. i tend to buy product only from reputable websites or retail stores :) BUT, that is a great price for those kenwoods with an amp. remember, you are driving a hatch... every sound that woofer makes you will hear. they will be great if the goal is to be loud though :) other thoughts, those subs are pretty space consuming... so if you want use of your hatch still... you may think differently :) hope this helps.... if it doesn't i just burnt my bagel in the toaster for no reason ;) keep askin questions :D

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was thinking of only getting 1 sub setup since I DO want to use my trunk as well. LOL.

But maybe then I can get a decent head unit? I don't need touchscreen or want it (easier for theft). So a good simple head unit will be fine until I replace my stock speakers.

It's not from the internet actually, I'll probably go pick that up today. They do have a store.

·
oh hai there!1!!
113 Posts
i think a single 12 would be plenty in our car... but of course that still depends on the output you want :) and as for the head unit... yes go as far as you want. the double din units (touch screens) look amazing in our car:

(picture was taken for other reasons than to show off the radio haha, so dont mind the off-centeredness. girlfriend is cute isn't she? ;) )
i'm not sure what leads you to believe they are easier to steal... if anything they are harder if the thief knows what he/she is doing lol. for single din units they have slides on each side of the radio that you can put keys in so the radio just slides out :) haha soooo... double din units are more theft proof, BUT they are more flashy so depending where you live could change things a bit.
on the note of them having a store, thats good news to me :) and if you only used on of those 12's on that amp, it would work out just fine :) looks good, just play around with your numbers :D

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ah so the focus of the picture is really cute! I like the way it has 2 triangles and 3 bumps.

Yeah they're more flashy and more people will try to break into my car which I do not want :(.

Thanks for all the help! Prob will get that combo deal and just use one 12" for that kick so I can save trunk space. My car is already pretty loud, just want some bass and replace stock speakers and I think I'll be happy!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So I got a nice unit.

Kenwood 1000w amp
Kenwood 10" speakers
Installed and everything for $330!
Then I got my friend's old kenwood mdc-mp628 head unit :]

IT KICKS BADDDD.

·
oh hai there!1!!
113 Posts
awesome bro :) glad to hear you got everything in and running! 10's for the win.

·
oh hai there!1!!
113 Posts
kenwood? talk about a shitty setup.
... you're quick to judge. give the guy a break... low budget calls for not the highest quality... get off your high horse.. he's clearly happy with the system. i don't like you :thumbsup:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I know kenwood ISN'T the best. But its a start. I have a decent set up for now until I upgrade in the near future.

Thanks Mr. Billionaire. Sorry but I don't have a mommy or daddy who can buy me everything.

·
Banned
4,087 Posts
... you're quick to judge. give the guy a break... low budget calls for not the highest quality... get off your high horse.. he's clearly happy with the system. i don't like you :thumbsup:
haha agreed...

I don't wanna thread jack but I'm looking into something similar except for the fact I know nothing about sound other than I like it loud and hard ;)

Always been a fan of Pioneer and Sony but have no idea what kind of quality they are like inside a car. Any personal suggestions?

·
Registered
30 Posts
I replaced the whole stereo in my base, deck, all 4 speakers, and have one 12'' sub. If you plan on getting 12'' sub you will need to upgrade speakers and throw an amp on them, sub will over power them. AND 12'' sub is plenty of bass for an rsx.

·
oh hai there!1!!
113 Posts
I replaced the whole stereo in my base, deck, all 4 speakers, and have one 12'' sub. If you plan on getting 12'' sub you will need to upgrade speakers and throw an amp on them, sub will over power them. AND 12'' sub is plenty of bass for an rsx.
He's pretty straight on with what he's saying. The reason i look for musical subs in our car is due to the fact that we dive a car with a hatch. It makes it so EVERYTHING is heard throughout the cabin of the car. If the goal is to be load, that will be very easy to accomplish, but to be clean while being loud will take a lot more time in tuning your entire system.

·
Banned
4,087 Posts
He's pretty straight on with what he's saying. The reason i look for musical subs in our car is due to the fact that we dive a car with a hatch. It makes it so EVERYTHING is heard throughout the cabin of the car. If the goal is to be load, that will be very easy to accomplish, but to be clean while being loud will take a lot more time in tuning your entire system.

So a 12" sub would be a good upgrade to get then right? If I were to get an amp would I also have to get speakers or could I hold off on those until later?

·
The Audio Guru
12,945 Posts
haha agreed...

I don't wanna thread jack but I'm looking into something similar except for the fact I know nothing about sound other than I like it loud and hard ;)

Always been a fan of Pioneer and Sony but have no idea what kind of quality they are like inside a car. Any personal suggestions?
Sony Sucks in the realm of Car audio, Last good equipment they made was the Moblie ES equipment in the late 90's. Pioneers new stage 4 equipment is great but probably way out of your price range, their regular stuff is ok but nothing to write home about.

So a 12" sub would be a good upgrade to get then right? If I were to get an amp would I also have to get speakers or could I hold off on those until later?
Upgrade your HU before you do anything else as it is the single biggest improvement you can do to the RSX's audio.

·
Banned
4,087 Posts
Sony Sucks in the realm of Car audio, Last good equipment they made was the Moblie ES equipment in the late 90's. Pioneers new stage 4 equipment is great but probably way out of your price range, their regular stuff is ok but nothing to write home about.

Upgrade your HU before you do anything else as it is the single biggest improvement you can do to the RSX's audio.
Price isn't a huge issue. I mean I don't wanna spend 2k on a single speaker but I got a good chunk that I could drop. Probably my max would be $1500 or so. Is that alot :dontknow:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts