Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just came home with an 05 Civic Si. All was good. All really is good. When I looked at the car, the radio tested fine, but I didn't have a CD with me. When I got home, I took a CD out to try it. Naturally, it doesn't work. I think something is stuck in the player. If I had to replace this stock radio with a better unit, what would your suggestions be? It must fit in the same space, I'm not going to hack up the dash.

Has anyone put in a Navigation system in an 05 Si? Is there one?
Thanks.

·
Registered
936 Posts
I work at a stereo store so I'm biased, but I think an Alpine would work fine as a radio replacement. They have a great warranty program and I almost NEVER have returns/problems with them. If you wanted to go with navigation, it can be done. However, if you look carefully you will notice that the dash has a sligh curve in it, so a screen mounted there will not look perfect. Let me know if you have anymore questions.

·
576hp/506tq FTW
489 Posts
alpine FTW!!! i used to have an alpine in my last civic and it worked great for like 3~4 yrs before someone jacked my freaking faceplate!!! idiots... i have another one in my civic now, and i love it... :)

·
tq is nice
2,881 Posts
my buddy has the same problem...his cd's every now and then get stuck in the cd player...he has an 04 ep....he has to use needle nose pliers to get it out

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I took it in to the Honda Dealer to have the whole thing checked out. Just got the word back that all is good. They will fix, or replace, the CD player under warranty, and there were some missing pushpins, and they recommended the 20 thousand mile service. I'm good with them fixing stuff. I would still like to get a Navigation system for it, and switch out the radio. I was doing a little checking in Kenwood, Pioneer, and Blaupunkt. Thanks for the tip on Alpine. I'll look at their stuff too.

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
Eclipse has a nav system head unit, too, that's gotten good reviews for its software.

If I got a navigation head unit, I'd hope to find one at least as good as what you can get from Honda these days. It's built by Alpine, but I keep thinking that the navigation software is different from what Alpine ships on their units. I'd like to know for sure.

·
Registered
29 Posts
it depends on how much you want to spend.

we do a lot of long distance driving, and love music! (cd's are too short!)
So i stick with Sony, they've been good to me for the past 30+ years!
they can be cheaper (i always find them onsale) than Alpines- with the same THD%!

Sony X-plod MP3 head+ Rockford Fosgate sub and amp combo- is all you need!
---total = under $350 installed

we replaced the '02's last year, but the wife got reallly jealous!

so we gave her a new Sony X-plod for her '05 this spring...
----- $200 for just Head installed

for us, it's money well spent!
-when you get your 2 yr old, and 8 yr old head banging in the backseat to some old Black Sabbath... You know it sounds good!-

·
Reiss
12 Posts
i would recomend the sony GT-CDX series, i had one in my explorer and i upgraded my Si to a newer model cause i liked it soooo much.

i had a GT-CDX310 in my explorer and i now have a GT-CDX420U in my Si

·
Registered
84 Posts
i c that most of u guys have used alpine.... can anyone help me with mine.... i also have and alpine system in my car.... it came with the car when i got it... now my problem is when i took the battery off to install my CAI and now i dont know how to set the time..lol... can anyone help me.... im guessing all alpine models work the same way.... thnx

·
Banned
2 Posts
I put it to the Honda dealer has checked out the whole thing. Just got the news, all is well. They will repair, or replacement during the warranty period of the CD player, and there are some missing pins, they suggest 20,000 miles service. I fixed things with them. I still want to get its navigation system, radio and out.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Just picked up my 04 si and the damn CD player is broke so I need to get a new unit ASAP. Since it's 2014 now can someone recommend me something good and preferably something that will be plug and play? I don't know shit about wiring stereos and don't wanna pay some shop like 100 for labor.

·
My Kissy Face
2,483 Posts
Just picked up my 04 si and the damn CD player is broke so I need to get a new unit ASAP. Since it's 2014 now can someone recommend me something good and preferably something that will be plug and play? I don't know shit about wiring stereos and don't wanna pay some shop like 100 for labor.
i've been looking at the ilx-007 alpine unit. since it's '14 and nobody uses cds anymore.

as far as installs are concerned, head units are about as easy as they come. if you buy a unit from crutchfield they give you instructions and all the accessories (wiring harness, mounting kit) with the unit.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts