Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Acura RSX Type-S
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Give me your thoughts, ideas, and maybe offers

I have a 2002 RSX-Type S. It used to be factory-mint (totally OEM) until I slid off the road and hit a fence. It's totalled. I need advice on what do with it/to it. (It is not a primary car for my wife and I, and it's fine to sit in the garage/storage).

125K miles

I went through a metal post/wood combo fence that was strung with barbed wire, hence the damage wrapping around the vehicle. It was a combo of bad decisions and poor conditions. I'm absolutely gutted, but here we are.

Repairs to be made:
  • Front Bumper: repaint
  • FR QP: replace
  • Hood: replace
  • R door skin: replace (window, lock, and fitment all still perfect)
  • R skirt: replace
  • RR QP: replace
  • Deck lid: replace - this is crazy expensive
  • Spoiler: buff and repaint
  • Rear bumper: replace
  • FR headlight: buff out or replace (internal damage pending; still functional)
  • RR tail light: (internal damage pending; still functional)
  • Right mirror: replace (housing is the only thing that's broken, fully functional)
  • Needs alignment
  • weird: radio head unit stopped working (likely just connections rattled)

Pre-Pillage problems to fix:
  • LR pin of luggage cover broke off in the hatch - Colorado roads
  • Small dent in FL QP from a scooter knocked over into it

All doors, rear hatch, and hood all still operate as normal. All lights operate as normal. Car is 100% mechanically sound and safe. Cosmetic damage alone has been quoted +/- $10k by 2 shops. Getting a 3rd quote next week.

Options to repair:
  • Owner retention through insurance
  • Replace parts individually to OEM or equivalent
  • Replace parts (or don't) with the intention of it being my first foray into AutoX

Life options:
  • total it
  • owner retention + repair aesthetics
  • owner retention + track car
  • don't file the claim + repair
  • don't file the claim + track car
  • don't file the claim + part it out
  • sell it as is

Attachments

·
Registered
Etsy Shop KineticArtMobiles
70 Posts
I'm glad your ok and not hurt. With that being said, I wouldn't spend $10k repairing this RSX. For $10k you could buy another RSX. I would find someone willing to take the whole car as is or start taking it apart and selling off what you can.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Life options:
  • total it
  • owner retention + repair aesthetics
  • owner retention + track car
  • don't file the claim + repair
  • don't file the claim + track car
  • don't file the claim + part it out
  • sell it as is
One, I like the idea of track car or project car. Are you interested in autocross or road racing? If the Car Club of America (SCCA) is active in your area or if you don’t mind traveling some to autocross or road racing events.

Two, and I'm sure you though of this, before you make any type of claim and have a good relationship with your insurance person who could give you an idea of pros and cons of a claim like this.

Let us know if you transform into race ready.

·
Registered
82 Posts
It can be fixed for sure. You can find another one for sure but in the end what did you want to do? I’m sure would require similar effort both ways sourcing parts or finding a RSX that is “just” right and bringing it back to you. Similarly I had significant cosmetic damage to mine and repaired out of pocket but damn when it’s all back shined up I easily forget the repairs and I am reminded easily why I did the repairs! Best of luck to you!

·
Registered
2002 Acura RSX Type-S
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm glad your ok and not hurt. With that being said, I wouldn't spend $10k repairing this RSX. For $10k you could buy another RSX. I would find someone willing to take the whole car as is or start taking it apart and selling off what you can.
Thank you for that

I'm definitely not going to spend 10k repairing it. And to be honest, I'm really happy to let the car go. It's funny, but it serves as a functional, great mpg vehicle for us when we want or our visitors when they're in town. I'm just trying to find the best way to have the least impact on us. So if you know anyone that wants to pick it up, I'm open to it

·
Registered
2002 Acura RSX Type-S
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It can be fixed for sure. You can find another one for sure but in the end what did you want to do? I’m sure would require similar effort both ways sourcing parts or finding a RSX that is “just” right and bringing it back to you. Similarly I had significant cosmetic damage to mine and repaired out of pocket but damn when it’s all back shined up I easily forget the repairs and I am reminded easily why I did the repairs! Best of luck to you!
Touche and good on ya! To be honest though, I don't want the car. I like having something simple and efficient we can jump in whenever, and I love the rawness of banging some gears in that thing, but my DD EcoBoost is faster anyways, and likely the only reason I'd keep it is to be a track car. But that thought for a garage-kept, OEM type-s makes me feel like it deserves a better home. Even the shops have said they'd have trouble sourcing oem parts of comparable quality to the car. Know anyone who'd give it a good home?

·
Registered
2002 Acura RSX Type-S
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
One, I like the idea of track car or project car. Are you interested in autocross or road racing? If the Car Club of America (SCCA) is active in your area or if you don’t mind traveling some to autocross or road racing events.

Two, and I'm sure you though of this, before you make any type of claim and have a good relationship with your insurance person who could give you an idea of pros and cons of a claim like this.

Let us know if you transform into race ready.
Yea, I want to get into SCCA, but honestly I'm probably looking at an E46 M3 for that. I loved the RSX for what it was, but I'm really not that motivated to wrench on it. I don't mean to hate on them, because I do love it, but if I'm at a turning point, I'd rather swap the RSX powerplant into a baja buggy, but I don't have time for that right now. It should go to a good home.

I'm with USAA, and they do treat me well; [read} forgiving lol.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts