Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Depends on your driving style...is it your DD and the occasional weekend warrior? Or do you want to track it all the time...

The A spec suspension for city commutes, a mild drop (1"), increased handling, less body roll and factory components it's hard to beat. It's a noticeable drop but not enough for some.

If you just choose to get some springs on your stock struts and not replace them right a way---you will have issues down the road. Eventually your stock struts will go out due to the added stress the springs induce on them....and you will be wishing you did it right the first time. Suspension components are a very important part of your car. Do it right and forget about it.

I've rode in several cars with a spring/shock combo such as Koni's and Eibach springs or Koni's and Tein springs.

The Eibachs had nice drop---may be 1.5" or so and Koni's felt good. I drove my buddies car for a while---I liked this setup a lot. Very good ride---semi-harsh on some bumps...but definitely more aggressive than the Aspec setup. The Tein springs had a slightly lower drop than the Eibach's---may be < 0.25" or so. I didn't drive the car with this setup, so it's hard to say how it compares from the driver's seat---but overall the ride felt comfortable and drop was very aggressive looking.

If your prepared to spend some money and get some quality parts...and you looking for more performance and adjustability--look into some Coilover systems, as they can provide you with those options. Lower your car and dial it in for the weekend track sessions---and raise her back up a little for the daily commutes.

Most people really don't use their Coilovers to their full potential. Your average person doesn't need a 32-point adjusting sytem. Either way, there are some good options out there if you've got the $$$.

Good luck-

-J

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have a 1.6 front and 1.8 rear...by suspension tech. (ST) I paid $175 for the set... Rides really great and looks even better. I bought the springs at Keyoshies in fresno ca. 559-233-2999

·
Sell me your NES games!!
5,876 Posts
If you want a car that rides and handles well, with a good drop, but isn't adjustable, get the Mugen SS and be done with it. It's a great all around suspension with a good drop. If you want to be slammed or have adjustability for track days, look somewhere else.

If you can't afford these try the A-spec, they perform well for DD but they only drop the car 1" from stock and have no adjustability either.

If you can't afford that you can just get springs but I definitely don't recommend going lower than 1.5" on stock shocks/struts. You can do it, but I can't guarantee how long things will hold up.

I ride on an Eibach Pro-kit with stock shocks/struts and that does great for my needs. If I were to buy another suspension after this it would probably be the Mugen SS since I would probably never take advantage of the adjustability of full coilovers.

I'm assuming you're not going to track your car on a regular basis either.

·
Registered
16,470 Posts
I have a DD RSX Type S

wiht Buddy Club Racing Spec Damper Coilovers...

Its reasonable on the road and it has a 2inch drop..

ive had cars with shock/spring combos...and the ride was much harsher...

not to mention these coilovers are geared towards track users...

however on the road, its suprisingly nice (given that you would expect a somewhat harsher ride from any drop)

·
Killa Zilla
407 Posts
I'm running Neuspeed race springs 2.25 drop, Koni adjustables, and Ingall's camber kit. It handles like it's on rails and it's not a bad ride. However it sits fairly low.

·
Registered
113,845 Posts
If you want a car that rides and handles well, with a good drop, but isn't adjustable, get the Mugen SS and be done with it. It's a great all around suspension with a good drop. If you want to be slammed or have adjustability for track days, look somewhere else.

If you can't afford these try the A-spec, they perform well for DD but they only drop the car 1" from stock and have no adjustability either.

If you can't afford that you can just get springs but I definitely don't recommend going lower than 1.5" on stock shocks/struts. You can do it, but I can't guarantee how long things will hold up.

I ride on an Eibach Pro-kit with stock shocks/struts and that does great for my needs. If I were to buy another suspension after this it would probably be the Mugen SS since I would probably never take advantage of the adjustability of full coilovers.

I'm assuming you're not going to track your car on a regular basis either.

excellent post :thumbsup:

·
Registered
16,470 Posts
^ Smart move :shakehead:

(note my sarcasm)​

you should always get an alignment and a camber kit with ne drop

or say goodbye to your tires...

With your toe out...that can eat tires Fairly quick...

its not just camber that eats tires...

·
Registered
151 Posts
A-Spec.

- Sorted and tested at the factory.
- Warranty.
- Decent drop
- Good improvement to handling/stance without rattling my teeth, rubbing, etc.

Last but not least, since they're a direct factory replacement I was able install them myself fairly easily even though I have very little experience working on cars.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.