Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
its just an oz rally
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i get my turbo kit in and drive around for two days with it and im going down the highway and i stomp on it shifting from 4th to 5th and booooommmm!!!!! smoke everywhere. the car stalls and there is oil everywhere. so i was like ok hopefully its just the oil return line bursting, that wouldnt be the biggest deal, so i get my car towed to the shop that i had it installed at and they told me that the #2 cyllendar is blown and the pistons and rings are pretty fried. the emanage was at stock settings and the boost was set to 6.5 wich is what the emanage is at. i know this for a fact because i was there when they tuned the car at 6.5psi. 2 days later the boost is up to 9psi. i live in newengland and it is cold around here, so all i can think of is boost creep. however shouldnt the emanage make it so the turbo doesnt boost that high. now i need to pretty much buy another motor because the f**king motor wasnt even able to hold up to 9psi. well once the motor is in the car goes back to stock and in comes the evo. ive had too many problems with this car already.

·
Not Plugged In
15,483 Posts
russ_rsx_s said:
so i get my turbo kit in and drive around for two days with it and im going down the highway and i stomp on it shifting from 4th to 5th and booooommmm!!!!! smoke everywhere. the car stalls and there is oil everywhere. so i was like ok hopefully its just the oil return line bursting, that wouldnt be the biggest deal, so i get my car towed to the shop that i had it installed at and they told me that the #2 cyllendar is blown and the pistons and rings are pretty fried. the emanage was at stock settings and the boost was set to 6.5 wich is what the emanage is at. i know this for a fact because i was there when they tuned the car at 6.5psi. 2 days later the boost is up to 9psi. i live in newengland and it is cold around here, so all i can think of is boost creep. however shouldnt the emanage make it so the turbo doesnt boost that high. now i need to pretty much buy another motor because the f**king motor wasnt even able to hold up to 9psi. well once the motor is in the car goes back to stock and in comes the evo. ive had too many problems with this car already.
honda's aren't really meant to be boosting... you need to either keep the boost real low or build the bottom end to handle it - did you get it tuned at all?

·
its just an oz rally
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the problem was that the boost was real low and the emanage did not stop the creep, kenji from greddy said that the emanage should have stopped the boost creep. even still the stock rsx motor is supposed to be able to handle 10psi.

·
Not Plugged In
15,483 Posts
yeah i hate boost creep, my friend and i had a hard time tuning his turbo in his eclipse.. the turbo was meant to handle between 18-25 psi, but the motor was acting up so we lowered it to 12psi and on the way back to his house to be safe but, we caught a race, and the entire time the boost gauge kept going up.. the wastegate can't open up enough to keep the boost were you want it, so you get creep..

sucks in your situation, see what greddy can do for you, if anything

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
jmp9982 said:
its stories like this that make me really hesitant to buy a turbo kit....
Keep in mind that there are at least 30(Guesstimate) turbo RSX owners on this board that are running w/boost without any big significant problems. I'm kinda in the same situation. My wastegate was originally set at 7psi, but creeps to 10psi from 5k and up. With this in mind, I hardly bring the rpm's above 6k just to be on the safe side. Extremely cold weather(dense air molecules) has some tendencies to cause boost creep.

·
Registered
715 Posts
damn thats weird my friend got a 1991 teg (stock internals) and he was boosting 10psi but it never f**K up the engine like yours did. the only that happens to him was his piston rings cracked... oh well goodluck... next time jz get forge pistons before boosting

·
Registered
419 Posts
lol nothing happened to your friends integ except for the piston rings cracking?? anything else go with that? integs take boost better plus their kit has been around for longer so they companies have had time to perfect things

i dont think alot of people on here know what boost creep and boost spiking are..or atleast the difference :dontknow:

·
Registered
340 Posts
These posts make me sad..Trust me, your car gave you plenty of warnings before it blew..The first thing that shoulda triggered is your boost spike..when your car is tuned at 6 psi, at 9psi on the same settings, you will most likely be running lean..Detonation would be the second clue..Though not always easy to hear (sometimes inaudible to your ear), you will be able to feel how the car is running if you know what you are looking for..

I am not trying to point this all at you, the tuner should of discussed these things with you and gave you a grocery list of things to keep an eye out for..Acura ECU's aren't going to adjust for boost for you since it is a N/A ECU..so you need to learn enough about it to make adjustments (or at least know when adjustments need to be made) in order to drive your car and keep it reliable..Believe me, you drive a turbo Honda for so long, and you start to be able to tell if it is having mood swings or PMS :) .. The e-manage is a good unit, but it does not think for itself..

For those of you saying that these posts shy you away from turbos, understand that this isn't an intake that you are slapping on the car and driving happy-go-lucky from then on..

If all else fails in the ability to feel/hear problems, get a wideband O2 sensor..won't fix all your problems, but they are very accurate in their readings and will serve as a better warning than an Autometer A/F guage..Mind you there are other things you need to know than just your A/F, but most likely in your situation detonation from a lean condition caused your problems..

Good luck and better boosting next time..

·
Registered
5,333 Posts
RSXn Mo said:
so this "guardian" thats coming out by cybernation, does that only help with a/f ratios, or would it help with boost creep?
Boost creep is mostly on the wastegate to control. What the guardian will do is protect your motor if your wastegate can't control creep. Say you have your wastegate set at 7, it's cold outside, you creep to 10 or any other level that causes you to run too lean. When guardian detects a lean condition, it will dump extra fuel (protective mode) until you start it up again. But that's just the begining, there are some other features being added. Sick features... I don't want to say more cause I dont know if I can. You would have to talk to turbotech or boost junkie for that info.

Sorry about your car russ_rsx_s. Good luck.

·
Registered
6,623 Posts
russ_rsx_s said:
Why would you say the motor cant hold 9 psi? Did you even monitor the boost and the af gauges when this happened? Dont tell me it was reading rich when you pounded it from 4th to 5th gear......

People always blame the car when it is just their carelessness to monitor a simple reading or two

·
Registered
6,623 Posts
lol its suppose to read rich when go wot

·
BOOST
1,606 Posts
My boost has been acting up since i have gottan it installed, but i know the reason... I need the other spring for my wastegate, right now if i step on it i notice the boost gauge goto 10-12 and i let off the gas, I also notice if my a/f gauge is not GREEN... anyway, i won't have problems with my turbo because im cautious....

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
it was probably the cold weather that made the boost go up and lean conditions blew it .. one cold day here i was running 9psi (tuned) and it creeped up to 10.5, its normal for cold weather which is why i have it tuned a little bit rich to compensate for it

·
Registered
6,623 Posts
RSXdelerium said:
it was probably the cold weather that made the boost go up and lean conditions blew it .. one cold day here i was running 9psi (tuned) and it creeped up to 10.5, its normal for cold weather which is why i have it tuned a little bit rich to compensate for it
So the best thing to do is get the car tuned to run a little rich just to ensure no problems?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts