Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
O.K.[RANT] I was driving the other day and someone(must've) through something out their window, because while I was driving I saw this grayish/black tube looking thing bounce in the road and coming towards me. No time to swerve, because I might have hit the person on my right or the person on my left would've rear-ended me. I didn't see who tossed/dropped/threw whatever the object was. The object apparently scratched my windshield(I was so glad it didn't crack). When I got out the car someone pointed out to me that I had a sratch and dent on my hood. It looks like the object hit my hood then bounced off and hit the windshield. I washed the car and the scratch on the windshield isn't (too) bad.[/RANT]

I called a car paint/body shop and they gave me a quote over the phone of $300-$400. Is that a good deal/price? As I said before, the scratch on my windshield is not that bad, but it's there. My insurance deductible is $500, would they replace my windshield, because it got scratched?

Question: So, do I get the hood sprayed or purchase a carbon fiber hood, or report it to my insurance company(and have my windshield replaced also)?

Any useful suggestions/advice will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
SkipDiesel said:
i would get it covered by my insurance first, if i were u...

then later id get the CF hood but for now I'd make sure my car is first fixed running like new until i do anything else to it.

Get the hood covered or both the hood and the scratched windshield? Do you think the/an insurance company would replace the windshield, because it's scratched? I'm asking, because if I'm just going to get my hood fixed, then there's no need to go through my Ins. company, because it will cost less than my deductible($500)

·
Registered
46 Posts
In Florida, there is a law about not having a cracked or broken windshield. Insurance companies cover your windshield with ZERO deductable. If the damage is in the primary field of view (directly in front of the driver) the windshield will be replaced. Otherwise, they reserve the option to repair it.

I don't know what they'd do for a case like yours on the hood- if it is counted as a separate claim, you may not reach the deductable, and thus get zip from them on that.

And of course, if you don't live in Florida none of this will apply. Still, it is worth checking your state's statutes, and your policy.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
933mhz said:
In Florida, there is a law about not having a cracked or broken windshield. Insurance companies cover your windshield with ZERO deductable. If the damage is in the primary field of view (directly in front of the driver) the windshield will be replaced. Otherwise, they reserve the option to repair it.

I don't know what they'd do for a case like yours on the hood- if it is counted as a separate claim, you may not reach the deductable, and thus get zip from them on that.

And of course, if you don't live in Florida none of this will apply. Still, it is worth checking your state's statutes, and your policy.
I do live in Florida, but my windshield is not cracked, it is scratched. It looks as if someone was trying to sand it, and it's about 2 inches long. I want to find out, if an insurance company will replace a windshield if it is just scratched, even if it was a result of someone throwing something out their window and damaging my hood as well. If the insurance company won't replace my windshield, then I'll just pay to get the hood re-painted, although that price is close to the price of a carbon fiber hood.($400)

·
2 Shea
1,080 Posts
Novice said:
I do live in Florida, but my windshield is not cracked, it is scratched. It looks as if someone was trying to sand it, and it's about 2 inches long. I want to find out, if an insurance company will replace a windshield if it is just scratched, even if it was a result of someone throwing something out their window and damaging my hood as well. If the insurance company won't replace my windshield, then I'll just pay to get the hood re-painted, although that price is close to the price of a carbon fiber hood.($400)
if the price is the same as a CF hood, iw ould just get the CF hood

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.