Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a 2004 black base RSX(manual) and I have about $1500 to spend. The car is bone stock except for a tint, I was wondering what I should put on it first. I was leaning towards:

HKS Hi Power Exhaust
AEM SRI or CAI (not sure yet)
Eibach Pro Kit
Either Eibach or Ingalls rear camber
Greddy Front Lip

Of course these are not the only things I am going to do, its just I only have $1500 to spend at the moment and was wondering what would be the biggest bang for my buck.

·
Washington Huskies
3,040 Posts
bang for buck meaning power? i like a good mix of show/go....if i had a base, id go with cai($200), coilovers ($400), new tires ($400), DIY headlights ($50), DIY black out taillights ($20), exhaust ($500) (for sound, not power).

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what about the AEM v2?

Which coilovers did you have in mind?

Where can I find the DIY Headlights/Taillights?

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
go with a CAI, JR header, and a type s exhaust...

·
Representin' DC5AB.COM
433 Posts
Just so you know...With the Eibach pro-kit you don't need the camber kit. You need the camber kit for drops like 1.75 inches and lower, and the pro-kit is only 1.4 in the rear so you are fine. I have the pro-kit and everything is fine, camber is almost the same as stock.

DIY is (do it yourself)....either you find someone to do the mod for you or you learn how to do it.

What you have listed above is good, just take out the camber kit since it's not needed and add a strut brace in it's place or a Type R rear sway.

You can also make your own groung wire kit. $15.00 and it makes your idle and revs smoother.

There's lots of options out there, just depends on what you want to spend your money on.

·
Washington Huskies
3,040 Posts
v2 is nice if you are paranoid of hydrolock. but cai is just overall considered better. coilovers such as skunk 2 or something a little more expensive. DIY stands for Do It Yourself. so you basically buy the supplies and follow a how-to write up and do it yourself. it takes time and patience, but you save money. the headlights will cost you $400 for real JDM ones, compared to the $50 or so you spend plus your labor. taillights you just spraypaint with smoked color, looks nice with black cars.

9,696 Posts
Get a CAI. That's what I'm putting on over spring break. Oh, and you've got to replace those stupid plastic side skirts and lip. That's what I did, but you have a black car, so it's not such a big deal.

·
Registered
307 Posts
AEM CAI not SRI!!! they are not as good, hks exhaust, and try to find some wheels and tires on ebay, no point in getting tires, if you got the same wheelbase

·
OG member
4,194 Posts
f*ck that...save up another 3500 and get a k20a...=).....

i'm almost there...

9,696 Posts
Rsx Wannabe said:
what is a k20a
If I'm not mistaken, the K20a is the badass type R engine: 220HP. The K20a2 is the type S engine and the k20a3 is the base's. Man, that would be so awesome to whip a K20a engine in a base. Talk about a sleeper!

But, for the money, you should get a CAI (I really wouldn't worry about hydrolock), exhaust, clubrsx springs and the camber kit. Also, paint those sides and lip to have a shiney match to the rest of the cars paint job.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I was looking at the club rsx springs and really liked them, but what would be the advantage of coilovers vs. Club RSX springs? Just that the coilovers are adjustable?

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
you are not mistaken...a k20a is the jdm type r engine that you can only get from japan. The only thing is that if you put it in your car, you will have to put 100 octane in it unless you get a k20a flash from hondata which will allow you to use 91 octane. I dont really know if they have come out with that flash yet but I know that they have been thinking of it.

As for the coilovers vs springs, coilovers allow you to adjust the hight of your car while spings are a constant hight. If I were to get a new suspension I would probably go with some Hayame coilovers since they are the cheapest coilovers on the market right now and seem to be very good quality. They are also a full coilover so you dont have to worry about blowing your shocks like you would if you had coilover sleves or just springs

9,696 Posts
How is the ride quality when compared to stock with the hayame coilovers?

·
Registered
34,829 Posts
in youre serious about your suspension upgrades too then you might want something that will have dampering settings which allow you to adjust the stiffness. coilover systems that allow you to do so however, are usually kinda costly.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
$1500? And You want to feel a difference in your car? Night and day?

-Front X-Brace (Neuspeed = $140)
-Front Strut Bar (Your choice, Mugen Replica/Neuspeed $65/$120)
-Rear Strut Bar (Mugen Replica Owns = $65)
-Rear Lower Strut Bar (AC Autotechnic = $90)
-Rear Sway Bar + Tie Bar (Progress = $180)
-Hayame Coilovers ($650) Height adjustable

That could be around $1100 so you will have about $400 left over, you should probably get an AEM CAI or something, some E.S. motor mounts($30), Ingall's Camber Kit($120), or upgrade to some better tires Azenis($400+)(wears fast) Kumhos($305)(Grips great in rain or shine and low cost) or whatever floats your boat.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts