Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Acura RSX ran from 2002-2006 in America. At some point, there had to have been a speculation that Honda would bring over the Type R version. What was it like? Were folks in the US hopeful? Were dreams pretty much dead since the Type R existed in Japan but wasn't ever brought to other markets besides Australia/NZ?

·
Registered
948 Posts
DC5 Type R never came to the USA. I would say the improvements from the Type S (what we got in the USA) was significant for the track. Wearing the R badge, some would say it's a race car with number plates. Not sure about other markets...

·
RSX Offroad Crew
451 Posts
I'd say we were hopeful, but nothing like the hype over the Civic Type R.

When the DC5 came out in 2002 I definitely expected they would bring a Type R to the US, since they had been selling DC2 Type R's in the US for the past four years.

In retrospect, I'm glad they never did - it makes tuning and modifying the RSX-S so much more fun. Adding things like ITR interior pieces, recaros, upgraded brakes/suspension, etc. makes your RSX-S more unique and fun - it wouldn't be nearly as cool if anyone could just go down to the dealer and buy it straight from the dealership that way.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'd say we were hopeful, but nothing like the hype over the Civic Type R.

When the DC5 came out in 2002 I definitely expected they would bring a Type R to the US, since they had been selling DC2 Type R's in the US for the past four years.

In retrospect, I'm glad they never did - it makes tuning and modifying the RSX-S so much more fun. Adding things like ITR interior pieces, recaros, upgraded brakes/suspension, etc. makes your RSX-S more unique and fun - it wouldn't be nearly as cool if anyone could just go down to the dealer and buy it straight from the dealership that way.
Good point. I recall in HS, a lot of us thought the Type S would have been on par with the DC2 Type R, or at least there would be a Type R version coming out in a few years. If I can remember, we kind of assumed there would be an 8 year production run for the DC5 much like the DC2.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts