Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to go forced induction at some point, but I also want to maintain regular daily driveability. I've seen a lot of threads in here where people are having problems with their turbos or superchargers, especially when they up the boost. What would you guys say is the most reliable way to go? I was thinking running the Greddy turbo kit at a low psi would be the best... but maybe I'm wrong :dontknow:

·
I love Audi Junkie!!!
3,072 Posts
vbeachboy said:
I'm looking to go forced induction at some point, but I also want to maintain regular daily driveability. I've seen a lot of threads in here where people are having problems with their turbos or superchargers, especially when they up the boost. What would you guys say is the most reliable way to go? I was thinking running the Greddy turbo kit at a low psi would be the best... but maybe I'm wrong :dontknow:

All of the options are fairly reliable if you maintain low boost levels...

Most of the JRSC issues have been easy fixes and most of the Greddy kit's problems have been cetered around the E-Manage system..

CN kits have had very little problems. Great turbo, good setup...

Bottom line is.. Maintain stock boost levels, and change your oil frequently, and you should be alright..

Hope this helps...

-JMS

·
Registered
273 Posts
You should probably do a search but I'll start you on the path...anytime you go F/I you change a cars reliability. Not saying that reliability gets worse it just means you'll need oil changes at 2000-2500 mi instead of 3000 (turbo), turbo timer (turbo), proper belt tensioning (supercharger). Both methods if installed and taken care of should have no reliability issues (unless you start heavy boosting). If you're still perplexed the search function is your friend

·
Registered
114 Posts
JMShipp2 said:
All of the options are fairly reliable if you maintain low boost levels...

Most of the JRSC issues have been easy fixes and most of the Greddy kit's problems have been cetered around the E-Manage system..

CN kits have had very little problems. Great turbo, good setup...

Bottom line is.. Maintain stock boost levels, and change your oil frequently, and you should be alright..

Hope this helps...

-JMS
Yes. :laughing:

·
Registered
214 Posts
JRSC, because the ultimate, final measure of reliability is catostrophic engine failure. No known engines have been destroyed as a direct result of using a JRSC, whereas a few turbo K20's have been destroyed. Not to knock turbos, and no need to take it as a knock. Turbos are neat things, but so is the JRSC, mostly for it's simplicity, lack of extra required equipment, and the absolute lack of possible over-boost. If anything should go wrong, the JRSC cannot increase in boost, thereby creating it's inherent "boost safety." Belt slips=lower boost. Motor lives to boost another day.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
AJ~ said:
JRSC, because the ultimate, final measure of reliability is catostrophic engine failure. No known engines have been destroyed as a direct result of using a JRSC, whereas a few turbo K20's have been destroyed. Not to knock turbos, and no need to take it as a knock. Turbos are neat things, but so is the JRSC, mostly for it's simplicity, lack of extra required equipment, and the absolute lack of possible over-boost. If anything should go wrong, the JRSC cannot increase in boost, thereby creating it's inherent "boost safety." Belt slips=lower boost. Motor lives to boost another day.
100% agreed, I been running jrsc @ 7psi since late March, track almost every week and I drive the car hard pretty much every day

·
5,022 Posts
The whole point of this thread was asking which setup is more reliable. Just because you don't F/I 02 EBP RSX don't frown on other's decisions or questions. Let people do what they want it. They are paying for the and the parts not you.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I realize that it is damn near impossible to make such a drastic change to your engine without running into SOME problems. In all honesty, when I'm ready to boost, I plan on having some sort of second car as my beater to go to and from work anyway. But when I do go that route, I still want a reliable set up... something I can pretty much count on working when I pull it out of the garage on the weekends :D

·
Registered
24 Posts
Interesting comments 02 EBP . . . No doubt, if you make power, things brake . . . but at least with factory turbo cars unless you REALLY screw up, the things that brake are easily fixable and arnt a toasted engine. I'm wondering if the same is true of a daily boosed rsx at decent levels (8psi, etc)

·
Registered
417 Posts
boost is boost....regardless....the more things you have the more possible things that can go wrong....if you stay within reason on the boost settings and your fuel is correct you shouldnt have any problems. Ive always been a turbo fan. Turbo puts less stress on your motor compared to a S/C. i would have to say go with the C/N kit especially with the new guardian and the built in safeguards it has...when it comes to boost you cant go wrong when you do it right

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.