Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
yup - redline raised the point . .. its a mater of preference and what you want to achive via work required, time spent, and desired results.

if you ask the "liquid or paste" question . . . you also have to ask/answer the "carnauba or polymer" question....

and more . . . . does money matter? are you anal about the work?

this is almost a "chicken or egg" question . .

if you give us more info about you , your habits and your wants/needs . . maybe we can steer you ?

·
Premium Member
20,803 Posts
For waxes only:
Paste waxes generally contain more carnauba, which makes them theoretically more durable. But they are such a pain in the a** to apply. You'd really want an orbital buffer if you made a regular habit of waxing with a paste.
Liquid wax is much, MUCH easier to apply, but since it contains less carnauba it won't last as long.

If you live in Northern Cali, or somewhere with a lot of rain, it doesn't matter. I live in Vancouver which gets tonnes of rain. You always have to rewax every month or two since the rain just loves to eat up the wax, weather it's liquid or paste.

Regarding polishes, as far as I know, all the major polishes are liquid.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
frosty can correct me (and if he can, i know he will)
i think that Pinacle has the highest carnauba percentage is a paste wax . . .somewhere in the 40's - and its about $125 for a small little jar.

or course - the more carnaube - the "harder" the layer - but since thats not always a good thing, you have to judge the product results for your self based an your needs. . .

garage queen show cars that never drive in the real world - they can get away with really high carnauba qty because the paints dont see temp extremes, the body panels dont get flex while driving etc . . .

real world cars need something a little more pliable and durable

·
Premium Member
20,803 Posts
He's American, US funds Homer! :p It's about $70 USD for a jar of Pinnacle paste.
Compared to about $30 for their liquid.

I'm not 100% sure if Pinnacle has the highest carnauba content, but they have a lot.
Pinnacle also uses what they call "ivory carnauba". When carnauba wax is refined it comes out in a yellowish, gold colour. If you refine it a second time, it becomes white-ish (Ivory). I think Pinnacle is the only company that uses only pure ivory wax.

A liquid cream wax generally has between 10-20% carnauba.
Those "spray wax" things have less than 10%
Pastes have a range from 20%-55% and they can be of varying grades, so you have to be picky.

And just because a wax costs more doesn't make it better.
Zymol NSX glaze is paste wax that contains 51% carnauba (80 yellow/20 white) that costs $145 for a jar OUCH!! That's still US funds :eek: . It doesn't work any better than Zymol Natural, which is a liquid combined polish/wax only costs $20 per bottle. And both of those got spanked by Zaino Z2 ($15) in a test by NSX-SC.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Frosty - I love you more every day man! :wavey: :nervous: :rolleyes: :laughing:

G

·
0 Posts
For what its worth

The highest carnauba content is Zymol Concours. Its 57% by volume and the rest of its content is made up of banana and coconut oils. Super for the show queen but not the easiest application. However for the show queen it has brought 4 Class wins at Pabble Beach for me!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts