Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
the anti type-r spoiler
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car looks like it has brown bruises now on the doors and side panels. I've been washing my car about 2-3 times a week but recently the weather has been really warm and the roads wet and slushy. How do I get rid of this stuff safely?

I think its called sodium chloride. But it looks like tar.

·
Registered
16,978 Posts
sodium chloride is salt.......... it melts the snow....... and also melts your car........ hehe....... they also mix dirt/sand into it so that it would be easier to grip with your tires..........

·
Premium Member
20,803 Posts
It's either salt (NaCl / sodium chloride) or that purple crap they use, which I think is sodium iodide, since chlorine is bad for the environment. Both of them can eat through metal. (If you've seen the Saturn commercial showing Newfoundland, sea salt in the air, salt on the roads from snow, doors falling out of hinges, everything rusted... funny :D).

Anyway! enough mad ramblings.
Two solutions:

1 - Use a non-abrasive body cleanser. This is usually fairly quick, it's a hand applied cream that removes light oxidation and bonded crud. Most brands make them; I use Meguiar's Deep Crystal System #1 - Body Cleanser. Just make sure it's non-abrasive or your car will be a driving swirl mark.

2 - Use a claybar. These things take out anything and everything from paint. You can use it on the whole car, or just on the brown areas. They cost a little more than the cleansers, and you have to be a little more careful, make sure you have a proper lubricant so that you don't scratch the paint.

Once you have the area cleaned, use a wax or polymer sealant to protect the paint, salts are really mean stuff.

And be sure to wash out the wheel wells and under the car! Use a degreaser cleaner of some sort to help loosen any grime.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts