Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I was to buy the Greddy Type-S turbo kit for my manual trans base, what would be the first problem during installation or use? I'm getting the impression that it's either an issue with piping or the ECU. If it's the piping, I could just have a local shop fab it for me. If it's the ECU, I could use K-Pro, right?

Thanks.

· I love Audi Junkie!!!
3,072 Posts
blackandred said:
If I was to buy the Greddy Type-S turbo kit for my manual trans base, what would be the first problem during installation or use? I'm getting the impression that it's either an issue with piping or the ECU. If it's the piping, I could just have a local shop fab it for me. If it's the ECU, I could use K-Pro, right?

Thanks.

This is a very legitimate question. Though i am not a base owner, I have pondered this one as well... For the most part, the two engines should be identicle, as far as fitment of the kit, but I do not know for sure.

I would like to hear from anyone who has insight on this issue as well.

See ya,
JMS

· Registered
30 Posts
I know they have different Intake manifolds so perhaps the piping from the intercooler (or turbo if no intercooler is used) would not match up perfectly...but i really don't know.. and if that is true it would be easy to change the intake manifold and most people would probably do that anyways..

· R.I.P Turbo'ed base auto
4,713 Posts
i guess, i mean it should fit. but if you buy the type-s intake manifold, you'll be getting rid of the dual runners that the base has, i dno if thats the best idea but i am probably wrong like always. But yea, if you want a greddy kit on a base, i think thats all you would have to do, get the k-pro, a type-s im and tb. all the piping should fit. I would recommend you get a better downpipe and header for your car also, something amde for the type-s, along with a type-s exhaust system. Thats what i have, my exhaust from the exhaust manifold all the way back is type-s but i have the base turbo kit (cybernation) on my car

· Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Well...since K-Pro has support for the k20a3 dual runner IM, maybe I could just keep the IM and use a type-s throttle body on it. So now I'm looking at the type-s throttle body and K-Pro. Hmmm.....

EDIT: On second thought, I think it would be easier/cheaper to fab different piping for the base's throttle body rather than buy and try to fit the type-s throttle body on the base IM.

· R.I.P Turbo'ed base auto
4,713 Posts
nah, the TB wont fit, lol. I've experimented with it when i actually thought going N/A on my car would be cool, tried to go for the type-s IM but you need the TB and the intake. In your case, the TB, IM and the piping

· Registered
474 Posts
I think the base block doesn't have the oil tapped in the same place. I remember reading that a CN stage II kit on the base required a new oil pathway to be drilled in the engine. The pathway is there, but covered up as I recall.

· Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yeahi said:
nah, the TB wont fit, lol. I've experimented with it when i actually thought going N/A on my car would be cool, tried to go for the type-s IM but you need the TB and the intake. In your case, the TB, IM and the piping
Ok, good to know. But I'm not sure K-Pro would support the base without it's dualrunner IM. Or maybe it would, dunno.

· Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
CiscoPowered said:
I think the base block doesn't have the oil tapped in the same place. I remember reading that a CN stage II kit on the base required a new oil pathway to be drilled in the engine. The pathway is there, but covered up as I recall.
If you're talking about the oil pressure switch, it's in the same place. I'm looking at the Helms manual right now.

· Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here is the response I got from Greddy to the following question: "I need to know what modifications would need to be made to the RSX Type-S turbo kit to fit it to the base RSX w/ manual transmission. Possibly everything would be the same except the ECU programming? "

Response:
Thanks for your interest in GReddy Products Items
which have a specific application descriptions, are only tested to fit those
vehicles. We can not recommend installing an item on any other vehicle than
stated on it description However sometimes some systems can be installed on
similar cars with either little or no modifications. Basically as you know the emanage programming, and minor piping and downpipe changes.

· ChemE
520 Posts
blackandred said:
I think I remember hearing that at some point but they don't seem to be making mention of it now. :dontknow:
I have a catalog of theirs thats says the kit for the base is TBA. Haven't heard of time yet though, having an S makes turboing so much easier.

· Registered
4 Posts
I have a base rsx and im buying the greddy turbo with a fmic. The only thing that needs to be changed is the emange. However youll also need to get a boost controller because you wont be able to run any boost until you get to the dyno for as the emange is tuned for a type s. I would also look into getting an oil cooler since these engines can overheat if boosted to much for too long.

· ChemE
520 Posts
Arsonic said:
I have a base rsx and im buying the greddy turbo with a fmic. The only thing that needs to be changed is the emange. However youll also need to get a boost controller because you wont be able to run any boost until you get to the dyno for as the emange is tuned for a type s. I would also look into getting an oil cooler since these engines can overheat if boosted to much for too long.

Aren't the ECU's on the base and S different in some manner. If one of the wires on the ECU was different than the Type S, wouldn't that put the engine in jeapordy. I would just take the safe route and buy the k-Pro for the base.

· Registered
101 Posts
a friend of mine did this. he has a custom kit he bought from some guy with a type s. We got the turbo to fit and the piping to fit. It can be done. just a lot of work. But we didnt need to do anything to it. Although if you do get the greddy kit and the peice that goes to the throttle body doesnt fit. i need one. I have the intercooler piping and need that peice.

· Registered
276 Posts
CiscoPowered said:
you are thinking about oil squirters located inside the block on the bottom of the cylinders. Base blocks don't have them, so you have to get holes tapped to put squirters in. This is only necessary for stage 2+ applications to keep temps down with the extra boost. And I do not think an oil cooler is necessary as i've been running 20psi with no overheating problems.

· I love Audi Junkie!!!
3,072 Posts
Arsonic said:

A boost Valve controller will not allow you to turn boost down below the stock setting of the wastgate. It will only allow you to increase boost over stock settings, therefore a boost controller will not help you with your stated problems.

-JMS

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.