Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i have a small problem, whenever i get to around 60-65 mph i start getting steering wheel vibration from side to side (left to right).. I got my wheels balanced i got alignment done.. But it is still doing it ....NOW my question is what else could it be, bad bearing?,bad rotors? PLEASE i would like to know your input..

·
997 C4S
11,065 Posts
A lot of things can cause lateral runout. The hat on your rotor may be warped from overtorquing your lug nuts, the wheel bearings could be wearing out, ball joints and tie rods could be the culprit as well. The only way to fgure it out is to have a tech use a dial indicator and do an undercar inspection (what your alignment shop should've done).

·
임다니엘
1,674 Posts
Your wheels may of be have been miss-balanced. I would suggest getting your wheels rebalanced; this has happened to me before. If that doesn’t work you could have bad tires, a bent rim, or something else wrong with your suspension.

·
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
the wheels are balanced correctly i was watching the guy whn he did everything came out to "0". if the rim was bet it would be hard for them to get it balanced and i would see wobble on the machine, I dont see how my tires would be bad i had them for 5k with on problem until now. I checked the ball joint that connects to the lower control arm and the whole rubber boot is torn apart, could that be the reason?

·
Hi there
696 Posts
well i have a small problem, whenever i get to around 60-65 mph i start getting steering wheel vibration from side to side (left to right).. I got my wheels balanced i got alignment done.. But it is still doing it ....NOW my question is what else could it be, bad bearing?,bad rotors? PLEASE i would like to know your input..
Looks to me like like you either have a bent wheel or still an improperly balanced wheel. Bent wheels can still be balanced out to 0.00 but the fact that its bent will still cause a shimmy. Also cheap tires tend to get broken belts that are hard to find. Try getting all 4 wheels balanced again and if that doesnt help rotate your tires and see if the shake goes away or remains the same.

If it was a bearing it would be making noise as well as shaking but shaking is unlikely unless its about to fall out.

Also if your rotors are warped then you have a much larger underlying problem. Because it takes alot of heat to warp those things so either you are on the brakes all the time or you have a stuck caliper. Once again this is highly unlikely. A good way to check for this is to feel your rims after a long drive and if your wheels are VERY hot to the touch. then i would get it checked out.

·
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for the information..
I had the wheels balanced 3 times as well as rotated.
when the guy was doing the rotation i was watching it and i didn't see any wobble or anything of that nature.
I looked under the car and the ball joint boot that connects to the lower control arm is all ripped apart im not sure if that has anything to do with it.

·
Bar'd
2,909 Posts
Thank you for the information..
I had the wheels balanced 3 times as well as rotated.
when the guy was doing the rotation i was watching it and i didn't see any wobble or anything of that nature.
I looked under the car and the ball joint boot that connects to the lower control arm is all ripped apart im not sure if that has anything to do with it.

thats your steering arm. it probably tore apart from installing/uninstalling your suspension the wrong way. Best thing to do is replace that part. Once they go, your car will either pull all the way to the right or the left and you lose control.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts