Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had the car apart for about 2 months while boosting it, now after putting it together there is a brand new sound at the front passenger wheel. Check out the video. It is really bad at 0-2 mph going extremely slowly. The issue is ONLY at this speed, and there is play in the wheel when shifting quickly.

There is a new Duralast axle (installed while the car was being boosted) on the passenger side. Originally I swore this was the issue. The videos were taken with the first Duralast axle I thought was the problem. I swore they gave me the wrong axle (they did). I bought another 'correct' Duralast axle which had some differences. I removed the old Duralast axle (with EXTREME difficulty) to find that the part number was different than the newest one .. The splines on the female end were also different.

After changing to the newest 'correct' Duralast axle, the sound has slightly diminished, yet is very much still there. The exact same issue. Anyone have ideas as to what suspension component could cause this issue??? Going to check LCA bushings and tie rod next time I jack up the car.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Bearing., lower control arm., tie rod end. If those are good.,the axles are not good. Get the genuine axle. It sound like the axle bad.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Replaced ball joints and endlinks. It has definitely improved it, but the problem persists. I’ll be trying to source n replace an oem axle today. Also replacing tie rod ends.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Unable to source an oem axle today, so I put a Carquest one in. First, the Carquest one was just straight up shorter, which was a good sign to me, because I assumed from the start the Duralast axle was just too long. With the Carquest axle in, there is no more back n forth play when I grab the axle.

Is the problem fixed? Once again, SIGNIFICANTLY improved, yet the problem persists. I'm getting an alignment tomorrow morning and probably a tune right after that if I can. Im just gonna send it. I'll also see what the alignment shop says.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Went to junkyard, got a oem half shaft and axle. Fixed the problem. I think the slight misfit from the off brand axles with the combination of the chatter from stage 4 clutch exacerbated the problem. No dust cover on the half shaft though.. I'm sure that'll bite me in the ass.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Off brand axles can suck
Yeah that's what I expected.. but not in a way in which they're completely non-functional god damn. Never steering anyone towards getting those off brand axles for ANYTHING.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts