Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 141 Posts

·
Search newbster SEARCH!
3,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wouldn't mind seeing this turned into a poll but I found this by being bored last night. Click here Some VW owners were discussing normal stopping and to downshift or not to downshift and just coast in neutral.
Iwas curious for other members inputs as well.
I typically don't downshift when coming to a light/stop sign unless:
a) I'm driving aggressively
b) didn't expect the stop

Typically, when I expect the stop, I stay in whatever gear I'm in and let off the gas and use the brakes. Until I'm bout to 1,100rpms then I put it in neutral.

I have a friend that swears by putting it in neutral without depressing the clutch in. I know it's possible, but I don't do it. I always push clutch in, put in neutral, release clutch. Your thoughts/comments?

Reactions: LoboRsxS

·
Search newbster SEARCH!
3,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i go in neutral if theres a stop ahead.. then i brake.

i dont downshift to slow down.. brake pads are cheaper than a new transmission

and i always clutch in if im going into neutral... good habit to keep
awesome avy. plus rep. I've seen that whole video. thanks for input fellas:thumbsup:

·
Banned
42 Posts
i go in neutral if theres a stop ahead.. then i brake.

i dont downshift to slow down.. brake pads are cheaper than a new transmission

and i always clutch in if im going into neutral... good habit to keep
you could always do what the TS does and just let off the gas and use the brake then nuetral it when rpms get low. then it will save you dough on brake pads and not strain the transmission.

·
Search newbster SEARCH!
3,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
you have a link to the vid? ive been trying to find it? lol
I don't but I do have it on my harddrive- saved. I can send in an email later this weekend if you can get mass emails like that:dontknow:

·
Search newbster SEARCH!
3,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
you could always do what the TS does and just let off the gas and use the brake then nuetral it when rpms get low. then it will save you dough on brake pads and not strain the transmission.
And to be honest, I'm a newb at sports car knowledge. I just assumed that was best and asked around with the locals here in my area. I wanted others insight as well to see what everyone else thought.:)

·
Retired OG
60,317 Posts
Ya definitely neutral coming to a stop.
always neutral when coming to a stop, and I can pop it into neutral without the clucth, doesn't hurt a thing if done at the right moment.

·
46,001 Posts
sometimes, if i know i wont be stopped long, i will just keep the car in gear and just hold the clutch down..

does anyone know if that is bad or not? ive been doing it since i learned to drive.. turned into a habit of mine

·
Search newbster SEARCH!
3,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
sometimes, if i know i wont be stopped long, i will just keep the car in gear and just hold the clutch down..

does anyone know if that is bad or not? ive been doing it since i learned to drive.. turned into a habit of mine
same here. not sure if it's bad though:dontknow:

·
Search newbster SEARCH!
3,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i'd rather downshift to slow down than leave the car in gear and clutch down when the car is at a stop
I think what he meant (at least what I do) is:
when coming to a dead stop like a stop sign I'll leave in gear, brake, @1,100(roughly) I'll push clutch in, put in 1st, stop, look, feather out clutch.
vs
at stop light that just turned red and I'll be there for a minute: leave in gear, brake, @roughy 1,100rpm push clutch in, put in neutral, release clutch and look at you through my 5% tint :shady: and pick my nose, ect...

·
Banned
2,983 Posts
I have a habit of always putting it in neutral before i come to stop, if i realize im not able to stop in time or i need to stop quick unexpectedly then ill downshift. If im going around corners, sometimes ill downshift to. the furthest ive downshifted is like 3rd gear, ive never gone below 3rd to downshift.

1 - 20 of 141 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.