Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry no pics, but I managed the screw up my very first DIY mod. Now I know I'm not handy... in fact, I might be the antithesis of handy, which is why I generally pay others to do mods that most of you probably do yourselves. But I figured, hey, it's just some vinyl, I can't even mess this up! WRONG. I did my left tailight pretty well... just one minor wrinkle that is hardly noticeable. My right tailight was another story. It's wrinkled in two places, plus it has a few airbubbles. I think I'm going to have to get more vinyl and do this over again. For now, it's stuck on there though. It's not bad from a few feet away, but when you get right up on it you can tell I messed it up. Should have used a hairdryer in the first place.

I suck at this stuff.

· Registered
268 Posts
vbeachboy said:
Sorry no pics, but I managed the screw up my very first DIY mod. Now I know I'm not handy... in fact, I might be the antithesis of handy, which is why I generally pay others to do mods that most of you probably do yourselves. But I figured, hey, it's just some vinyl, I can't even mess this up! WRONG. I did my left tailight pretty well... just one minor wrinkle that is hardly noticeable. My right tailight was another story. It's wrinkled in two places, plus it has a few airbubbles. I think I'm going to have to get more vinyl and do this over again. For now, it's stuck on there though. It's not bad from a few feet away, but when you get right up on it you can tell I messed it up. Should have used a hairdryer in the first place.

I suck at this stuff.

Just spray it with kandy red paint....I Did back 2 years ago still got my red tails looks stock..imma try and ge pics.

· Registered
51 Posts
vbeachboy said:

I suck at this stuff.
Just do it over with the vinyl, sometimes that stuff is hard to work with.

· cole world
5,090 Posts
yeah, i kinda fucked my vinyl red outs too haha theres a couple little wrinkles on the ends of both of them, but i was just like fuck it since its not noticable unless u go up to it and look for it knowing its there. so its not jus u man!

ha

-nima

· JDM!!!!!!!!
1,764 Posts
try it again, put it on dry first, so it will hold easier when u stretch it around the sides. once thats perfect i lifted up the other part and sprayed windex down, it wont stick at all. use a playing card of some sort (i used pokemon cards my bro used to have) and get all water out and let it site for like 30 min and the windex will dry and it wont move at all. that was my method, not a single air bubble. the first time i tried i did fuck up too. dont give up

· 3709 in the Hizouse
233 Posts
cOmplex - Did you wait until it was completely dry before you cut it?

· Registered
13,490 Posts
yeap, i fucked up too, twice! now i gotta order another set pretty soon. i didnt use the blow dryer soapy water meathod so im guessing thats why i fucked up. but dont get discouraged that you screwed up on this diy, i honestly thought it was going to be simple but i was wrong. just follow what these guys say and usually it'll work out better.

· Registered
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, glad to hear I'm not the only one who has screwed up! I'm going to redo the light that I butchered but since I only have a very small wrinkle in the other light I'm going to keep that one the way it is.

· Registered
588 Posts
Hi
I just put the vinyl on last week - no problems at all - other than being paranoid about it sticking with wrinkles and bubbles

Follow the instructions that are posted in the Performance and Tech section and you shouldn't have a problem

Definitely easier with 2 people - one can hold the hair dryer and the other smoothes it out

Be careful when you are cutting the vinyl not to scratch the tail lights

Don't leave it on with wrinkles or bubbles - I bet it will look like crap when that wrinkle splits open

It looks awesome when you do it right - pay someone if you don't want to do it - there's nothing wrong with that at all

· Banned
1,597 Posts
well if ur in the bay area and want help doing it let me know. i have done it on many cars and mine have come out very well done.

on mine thier are no bubbles at all

· Registered
251 Posts
damn it, i just got my red out vinyl stuff, and u guys make it seem like its so hard. lol im afraid to do it my self cuz i dont wanna F it up.....im tryin to figure out c0mp|ex's method...with the pokemon card

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.