Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
don't know
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, my kit is comming in tomorrow and i pretty much know the basics from reading other posts, just wanna know how everyone else does it.

ive got the window switch and am goona set it to run between 4k and 7,800 RPM. does anyone start any lower than 4k?

i know not to spray in 1st or at least thats what ive read, and just wondering if yall start in 2nd or 3rd.

also i have heard that you don't wanna spray when you are in 6th, but thats just somethin i heard. what is the highest gear that you will go to?

please let me know if there are any other things you do and don't do. :bow:

BTW: this applies to straight line racing, just so there is no confusion.

·
Banned
16,523 Posts
I dont use window switches or wot switches (in its indended location), but I'll tell you exactly how I squeeze now:

-Launch (Shift & 7.5) no squeeze
-2nd Gear Squeeze (redline)
-3rd Gear Squeeze (redline)
-Check the mirror to see how much i won by:laughing:

Squeezing is easy... trying to get a solid takeoff with 1.5K rpms is the tricky part.
(so theres no confusion... I launch at 1.5K rpms because of my clutch:thumbsup: )

·
don't know
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Randeezle said:
I dont use window switches or wot switches (in its indended location), but I'll tell you exactly how I squeeze now:

-Launch (Shift & 7.5) no squeeze
-2nd Gear Squeeze (redline)
-3rd Gear Squeeze (redline)
-Check the mirror to see how much i won by:laughing:

Squeezing is easy... trying to get a solid takeoff with 1.5K rpms is the tricky part.
(so theres no confusion... I launch at 1.5K rpms because of my clutch:thumbsup: )
thanks for the info.........
what kind of clutch do you have!

when i launch i have to rev it up to 4,500 and feather it out real fast. its lamost like dropping it but a little slower. ( when im at the track). if its on the road then i rev it to like 3k.

i am going to need a new clutch soon. ive got 30k on my car and its starting to slip a little. what would you recomend to get?

and why is it bad to squeeze in 4th, 5th, and 6th?

·
Banned
16,523 Posts
It isnt bad to squeeze in 4th or the first half of 5th, but after that the computer starts to lean out the engine.

Squeezing while lean isnt good.

I have the exedy cerametalic clutch. Its a 3 puck and its sprung, but I dont reccomend it because you will lose some streetability.

The flywheel is sweet, but when it comes to the clutch, just go ahead and get the exedy organic instead of the 3 puck.

One thing you should remember is when you get a racing clutch, the engagement point changes, the engagement speed changes, your rpm launch changes... basically everything changes and you have to re-master your launches.

·
don't know
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the organic clutch is the stage 1 clutch from exedy isn't it? will that be enough?

and do you only go to 7,500 RPM in 1st so when you squeeze 2nd you get a good solid pull? since your RPM's will be lower when you shift to 2nd if you shift at 7,500. instead of redlining it and keeping your RPM's above 6k.

·
Registered
16,758 Posts
spraying in first is fine, if you have traction.. You'll gain the most power by being able to launch and use n2o in first gear, because nitrous gives you loads of tq, which gets you off the line.

when you spray in the higher gears, it starts to get leaner, takes you longer to go through a gear, so lots of nitrous, and no let off for shift.... normally by that point, shit is getting hot already, and the engine isn't able to freely and easily rev like it could in the lower gears.

·
Banned
16,523 Posts
k20a2racer said:
the organic clutch is the stage 1 clutch from exedy isn't it? will that be enough?

and do you only go to 7,500 RPM in 1st so when you squeeze 2nd you get a good solid pull? since your RPM's will be lower when you shift to 2nd if you shift at 7,500. instead of redlining it and keeping your RPM's above 6k.
Organic will be fine.

The rest you got it all right.

·
Banned
16,523 Posts
You will have to re-learn everything...

Launch RPM, Regular take-off RPM, it all changes.

If you can put up with the chatter then its all good.
The only way to not get chatter is to raise your takeoff rpms while taking off normally. I dunno about the other stage 2 clutch owners but while triving normally I have to take off @ 2K rpms just to have a smooth takeoff with no chatter.

I am almost positive it will annoy you.

·
don't know
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
so i need to speed shift when i am spraying ( not let off the gas when i change gears)?

and when you say "higher gears", you mean 4th and up?

·
Registered
16,758 Posts
no, doing that, you'll kiss a clutch good by, and if you miss the gear, your rev-limiter won't stop the n2o.

if you just rev, it'll cut fuel at 8200 or so, but the engine keeps goin, now imagine stuffin n2o in there, with all that fuel..... it doesn't stop revving on a dime.

·
don't know
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ok...........so no speed shifting. but if i have a window switch that cuts the nitrous off at say 7,800 RPM then i would be safe if i missed a gear while regular shifting. right?

and what would i do if i missed a gear while squeezing? do i let off the gas, or try to get it back in gear as soon as possible, or what? :dontknow:

sorry bout all the questions BTW. i just wanna make sure i know everything! :D

·
Banned
16,523 Posts
If you mis-shift, I'm not sure if that window switch will catch that nitrous cutoff rpm in time to stop it.

This is why I trust myself. I squeeze when I know I wanna squeeze and there is nothing to screw me up.

I rememeber the other night I was racing against this yellow GTS on the freeway. I downshifted to 3rd (squeezed) shifted to 4th and missed 4th. Naturally my blood is pumping so I had it floored for a split second.

Just think what would've happened if I had that wot switch.
I'm sure the window switch is cool and everything, but even as a nitrous noob I still trusted myself more than any of those gadgets.

·
don't know
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
but if you have the WOT switch then you would be ok cus the N2O would shut off once you backed you foot off the throttle just a hair. and i have never redlined when i mis-shift. knock on wood.

and i still want to have control over when i spray. the WOT and window switches are just safety devices. so i don't spray (by accident) unless im at WOT. and so i don't squeeze to low, or to high.

i would like to have it where i can flip a switch to spray and once i get done i can flip it off. kinda like pushing a button without having to hold it.

·
Banned
16,523 Posts
Flipping a switch while racing is gonna be a complicated task. I'm trying to picture what you're talkinga bout with the switc. Do you mean a regular toggle switch to actually open and close the solenoids?

People tell me that I should use a wot switch, but its just not comortable and I dont feel like I'm in control ya know... Kinda like driving an automatic car... I dont feel connected with the car.

I have a WOT switch, but I have it taped to my shift knob, sorta like a trigger so I can squeeze exactly when I want to. Lemme run to my car and take a picture of what i'm talking about. I dunno if you've seen it before, but i'll post it anyways.

Some might say its ghetto rigged, but its comfortable and convenient. I like having it there because its functional as hell.

·
Out on bail
3,816 Posts
Randeezle said:
You will have to re-learn everything...

Launch RPM, Regular take-off RPM, it all changes.

If you can put up with the chatter then its all good.
The only way to not get chatter is to raise your takeoff rpms while taking off normally. I dunno about the other stage 2 clutch owners but while triving normally I have to take off @ 2K rpms just to have a smooth takeoff with no chatter.

I am almost positive it will annoy you.
This sucks, but i gotta have a new clutch :dontknow: .

·
don't know
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
the shift knob thing is fine. yeah, its not the cleanest looking thing in the world but if it works for you thats all that matters. i don't want mine to be that noticable though.

BTW got everything in yesterday! the ony thing is i think the bottle is to big to fit behind my seat. but other than that it seems pretty easy to install. i was actually surprised how simple and easy the instructions were. :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts