·
LOL wut
8,729 Posts
lol my rear wheel has about a pound of lube on it

·
Perpetrator
53,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i see that b9ev selected "only the middle of the chain." i know that he is a well experienced rider.

a fried of mine (very knowledgeable with bikes too) does the same thing with his bike. he lubes only the middle part.

i've read many chain lube threads in different bike forums. i thought you lube the entire chain.
:dontknow:

·
LOL wut
8,729 Posts
lol the point of lube is not really to lubricate...its meant to keep the dirt from getting inside the vital parts of the chain (x/o -rings)...just lube and wipe off excess

·
Retired OG
100,340 Posts
I only do the middle but alot gets on the sides too, then I roun the wheel around alot and catch the spinoff with a rag, I do that for a while then I ride it and come back to the garage and clean the spinoff that gets everywhere and then I clean some more.

·
Perpetrator
53,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
lol the point of lube is not really to lubricate...its meant to keep the dirt from getting inside the vital parts of the chain (x/o -rings)...just lube and wipe off excess
not exactly. it's also meant to keep off the rust, apparently.

a few chain cleanings ago, i let the chain sit for well over an hour. i think it was a little damp outside. slight rust (very light in color) began forming. at least, that's what it looked like to me.

ironchef's stickied thread even mentions about rust.

i lube the entire chain. but my friend keeps saying to lube only the middle rollers.

·
you will bow to me
3,938 Posts
If in doubt of what to do, ask a few of the mechanics at your local shops. I do rollers only and I spray on the inside of the chain. As mentioned, on an o/x ring chain it helps to keep out grime and prevent rust. However, it also helps to lube the contact between the rollers and the sprockets. Just remember that a sealed chain requires a different lube than an unsealed chain.

Edit: Nothing bad is going to happen from spraying the outside of the chain, it is just messier and makes you use more lube.

·
Halolcat Crew
10,906 Posts
I use clear lube, and my rims are black so its not that big of a deal if it flings.

Make sure, however, you lube correctly.

It is best to do it after a ride when the chain is warm, that way you can clean off the old junk well and put in the new one.

Apply a little lube after cleaning, then go ahead and take the bike for a quick ride to warm up the chain again, then come back and finish up the lubing.

·
LOL wut
8,729 Posts
got done cleaning my bike...lol my rear rim should be about a 1lb lighter because i got all the lube off...i was rolling my bike back in the garage and noticed my bike swishing around...and remember that i had track fairings, and well...there was at least a gallon of water in the oil collector...

cleaned my chain, and im waiting for my bike to dry before i apply lube...i sold my helmet so i cant take it for a ride to warm it up....does anyone know if running it on a rear stand will warm the chain up?

·
Certified Nut
203 Posts
UM is this really being discussed on CRSX...

IF ANYONE DISAGREES WITH THE FOLLOWING AND ISNT JOKING MAY THE WRATH OF THE WOMBAT RAIN HAVOC ON YOUR HUT KILLING YOUR VILLAGE AND TRIBE...

Lubricate the ENTIRE chain... I prefer Maxima Chain Wax... most people who try it agree its superior... I've used PJ1, bell ray, and Motul's in the past... I've even used just WD40... stick with Maxima...

First clean the chain REAL well... We'll save the instructions on that for another post...

Second, lubricate the O rings on the chain... use the can of chain lube with a straw... stand behind the bike with the bike on a stand and the bike in neutral... slowly spin the rear tire with one hand while spraying at the O-rings with the other... the o rings are located between the chain links and the side plates...

Third, after you lubricate the o-rings on BOTH sides, lightly spray the entire rest of the chain

There are a few purposes... 1) the o-rings are made out of rubber and can dry rott if not lubricated. 2) the o rings seal the chains pivots which are already greased from dirt and grime from the outside... if dirt is left on the chain it works its way below the o-ring and the chain starts to wear faster... 3) you lubricate the ENTIRE chain because if you dont you are leaving bare metal exposed to the elements... what happens when you do? RUST...

Here is a picture of the O-rings:

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
... this should really get moved to birds & the bees.

(jk):laughing:

·
Acura 3.2TL
3,836 Posts
After your spary the lube on the chain. I whipe the sides of the chain untill only the O-Ring has some lube. I use Castrol Chain Wax. It was highly recommended by the bike shop. And I agree with them, my chain still looks new after 3 yrs.

·
158 Posts
I put it on the stand, click it into gear, spray the o-rings, then spray the rollers. Done in 2 minutes. I use the Dupont Teflon stuff. It sprays on as a solvent, and dries as a waxy sealant. No fuss, no mess. :D

·
Acura 3.2TL
3,836 Posts
I put it on the stand, click it into gear, spray the o-rings, then spray the rollers. Done in 2 minutes. I use the Dupont Teflon stuff. It sprays on as a solvent, and dries as a waxy sealant. No fuss, no mess. :D
NEVER put your bike in gear when lubing your chain! :thumbsdow
Bike should be off.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts