Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
keepn' it clean
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I may decide to swap my motor (base) for a type-R in about a year if I could find one for a good price.

Where can I find on of these with the 6-speed tranny? I would imagine that to ship such a thing would be expensive as hell. I've seen them on ebay, but the shipping is what worries me.

·
Skepticism Extraodinaire
4,162 Posts
There is a guy in the for sale forums selling a K20A complete with tranny and ECU for $4800.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
you can always check out ebay....

·
Fix it 'til it's broken
12,041 Posts
aurilleous said:
you can always check out ebay....
Did you read the original post? :rolleyes:

·
keepn' it clean
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
eddie123 said:
There is a guy in the for sale forums selling a K20A complete with tranny and ECU for $4800.

Where does he live and how is he planning on shipping it? it's a reasonable price though.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I guess not...my bad

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
hmotorsonline.com sells k20a's tested and complete. $5800 plus shipping (I believe it ranges from $100 to $400 shipping)

·
Tyler
1,620 Posts
Are they set up for OBDII or does that matter? And can you run them on 91 octane fuel (I know they use 100 in Japan)? I don't plan on buying one I'm just throwing Q's out:D

·
Registered
289 Posts
There are people in Toronto who have them with low KM's going for about 6500 to 7000. You won't find a better deal than that to get all of the running gear.

·
keepn' it clean
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the help guys, I'll check into those places

LCDC5, can you give me a little more info on where these places are? I would like to check them out since they are in toronto.

·
Registered
57 Posts
talyler said:
Are they set up for OBDII or does that matter? And can you run them on 91 octane fuel (I know they use 100 in Japan)? I don't plan on buying one I'm just throwing Q's out:D

The octane is the same, 100 Japanese octane = 91ish USDM octane. Dont worry about it, just buy the good stuff.

·
Registered
248 Posts
ATRIOT said:
The octane is the same, 100 Japanese octane = 91ish USDM octane. Dont worry about it, just buy the good stuff.
No

MON=Motor octane:98
RON=Reseach octane:88
US=(MON+RON)/2:93

·
Registered
35 Posts
Although I have never been to Japan - The way I understood, was that the Japanese did not use the R+M/2 method. Instead, just the RON is measured, and that's why it seems as if their octane ratings are inflated.

For instance: 100 RON / 90 MON = 95 PON (Pump Octane Number), which is almost to the midwest area's Sunoco 94.

·
Back in Black
10,777 Posts
importtttt reviewwwww (subtract the redundant letters, crsx blocks the correct spelling) sells built 2.4 liter engines for 5 grand. They sell all kinds of built engines. I'm just fond of the destroked 2.4.

Why go JDM when you can get a monster for less money, possibly less shipping, putting down 270 horses, and without any octane issues?

·
keepn' it clean
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
well it's not for sure, but i still want to look into it. If i can find one for a decent price then I may go for it.

·
Banned
3,328 Posts
benca1 said:
importtttt reviewwwww (subtract the redundant letters, crsx blocks the correct spelling) sells built 2.4 liter engines for 5 grand. They sell all kinds of built engines. I'm just fond of the destroked 2.4.

Why go JDM when you can get a monster for less money, possibly less shipping, putting down 270 horses, and without any octane issues?
reliablity for start?

·
keepn' it clean
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
true, i would rather have a reliable type-r engine than an engine with more power that is not reliable (or needs more maintanence). I still still need to use this car as my daily driver and won't have the time or money to be looking after a high maintanence engine.

·
Back in Black
10,777 Posts
Reliability? Lack thereof based on what exactly? Did you either of you look at the specs? Blueprinted and balanced with indestructible pistons and rods!? I'm sure the JDMs are reliable, and I'm sure the built ones are too.

Jesus, talk about jumping to conlusions.

For a daily driver, you think the Type R engine detuned for 91 octance is better?

Shit I'm just surprised. For the same price and everything. You guys have heavily moded cars, you're talking about engine swapping, and you voice reliabilty concerns!?

Funny stuff.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts