Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
High Commander
1,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know most ppl install their own HIDs, but for those that didn't where did you go and how much?

·
Rockin Dem Jays!
3,444 Posts
ivan at igarage.... $50 i believe!

·
High Commander
1,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
woo that sounds cheap... do they do a good job?

think i remember reading about lots of rsxers going there for maintenance...

·
bɹo˙ʎʇɹɐduoɯ&#4
10,428 Posts

·
High Commander
1,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
so i called them up. 50bucks. sweet deal.

I asked about the install. They said that they do not put the ballast under the headlights like other shops said they do (inline with the JDM HIDs). So the ballasts are in the engine bay. Reason is to b/c of the dirt and salt that can accumulate under the headlights.

Is the reason for the cheap price cuz they do it the lazy way?

·
bɹo˙ʎʇɹɐduoɯ&#4
10,428 Posts
so i called them up. 50bucks. sweet deal.

I asked about the install. They said that they do not put the ballast under the headlights like other shops said they do (inline with the JDM HIDs). So the ballasts are in the engine bay. Reason is to b/c of the dirt and salt that can accumulate under the headlights.

Is the reason for the cheap price cuz they do it the lazy way?
If you tell Ivan you're willling to pay him to mount your ballast under your headlight he'll do it. If he installs your Ballast in the engine bay, most likely he won't be removing your bumper. Tell him you'll pay for the labor and he'll do it. Just tell Ivan what you want done an dhe'll do it.

He likes to make sure you don't feel ripped off so he'll give you the lowest price in terms or labor. He's a really honest guy and won't scam you. If you want him to go all out, you'll have to pay more. That's all.

I'm actually going to head over this week for him to rewire my Fogs and HID's myself. it's prolly gonna be a tedious job, but I wanna make my istalls look clean which I'm gonna have to pay for.

·
Elite
7,105 Posts
which HID kit is this? is it a HID conversion? most are very simple to install. straight up DIY. save your 50 bux on a more difficult mod.

it's best to have the ballasts installed under the lights. it'll accumulate crap regardless of where you install it plus the wiring will looks awful if the ballasts are mounted on the fenders.

·
High Commander
1,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
which HID kit is this? is it a HID conversion? most are very simple to install. straight up DIY. save your 50 bux on a more difficult mod.

it's best to have the ballasts installed under the lights. it'll accumulate crap regardless of where you install it plus the wiring will looks awful if the ballasts are mounted on the fenders.
it's the XD Xtreme kit that XD has been advertising in the "lighting" section.

Yah i'm not good with DIY jobs. 50bucks seems like a nominal amount for an install.

·
High Commander
1,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So do you guys think mounting under the headlights will cause any problems in the future? Ivan made it sound like he's experienced issues doing it this way.

I don't really have a problem with mounting them in the engine bay... and not b/c it saves me a couple of bucks, but if an under the headlight install gives me problems down the line, i'd rather not do it.

·
Super User
1,468 Posts
im pretty sure he installed mine with the ballasts underneath

·
Yowtai Pedobear in Action
14,817 Posts
ivan installed mine.. no problem what's so ever..

best price u can find as well... great install too!

he babied my car when it was there.. :thumbsup:

·
part-time baller
1,810 Posts

i thought all HID "kits" are conversions?? ...i could be wrong...dont hate :(

·
High Commander
1,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ivan installed mine.. no problem what's so ever..

best price u can find as well... great install too!

he babied my car when it was there.. :thumbsup:
where did he install your ballasts?

·
Elite
7,105 Posts
it's the XD Xtreme kit that XD has been advertising in the "lighting" section.

Yah i'm not good with DIY jobs. 50bucks seems like a nominal amount for an install.
oh man c'mon there's no splicing involved since it comes complete with the wiring harness. if you have a 6" ratchet extension or can get a hold of one i'll do this for you for free. shit's too easy.

i thought all HID "kits" are conversions?? ...i could be wrong...dont hate :(
no not all. normally most people get HID conversions which is were you simply replace the stock halogen bulb with a HID bulb and ballast. simple plug and play. well simple if you get the wiring harness.

then you've got the HID headlights. this would be one of the ideal ways to go. you replace the entire stock headlight housing with with that of an HID one. obviously this is a costly route.

the other ideal way to go is retro fitting. you get a TSX/TL/Infiniti etc. projector housing and stick it in the stock headlight assembly. this might be slightly cheaper than the one above but obviously more labour intensive.

to the TS, aim your lights really low (lower than stock) and you should be fine.

·
Yowtai Pedobear in Action
14,817 Posts

·
part-time baller
1,810 Posts
to the TS, aim your lights really low (lower than stock) and you should be fine.
does aimming it really low actually give you the "cut offs" or its still the same shit like glare everywhere :dontknow:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts