Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey everyone,

At the moment I'm running an 05-06 type-s exhaust (for the sake of having a fairly quiet dd) on an s/c set-up but am wanting to move to a more free flowing exhaust with an ID of 2.5" or greater (for the sake of letting the engine breathe more effectively). The majority of the time I'm just puttering around in stop and go traffic, so what I would like is an exhaust that is fairly quiet/comparable to the stock exhaust when just cruising around town/on the highway yet will allow the engine to breathe more easily when I'm going wot. Accordingly I'm just wondering if people on the forums have any suggestions?

So far I've looked at things like the buddy club spec 2, but that seems to be on the suuuuper loud side of things.

Likewise, given that the rsx is now an older platform I'm wondering where do people purchase their exhausts from/where can they find them in stock?

*edit: another thought I'm having is would it be advisable to buy an aftermarket muffler and go to an exhaust shop to have 'em throw something together for me? I'm leaning towards just finding a premade aftermarket exhaust for the sake of time/cost, but would this be worth considering?

Thanks in advance for any replies!

·
mod bug got me
564 Posts

·
0 Posts
If it weren't for the race header, our cars would be almost quiet as stock. The blower is substantially quieter than your typical RBC manifold setup. If you are running a long-tube header, it's going to be loud no matter what.

·
Meth Blow Speed = my life
7,078 Posts
If it weren't for the race header, our cars would be almost quiet as stock. The blower is substantially quieter than your typical RBC manifold setup. If you are running a long-tube header, it's going to be loud no matter what.
:iamwiths:

This is spot on. I've tried 3 or 4 different exhaust combos the what I have now resulted in the quietest while keeping flow high for power.

Custom mandrel bent 2.5" piping with a Hushpower muffler as my resonator and the Dynomax muffler as my final muffler. Yes thats two mufflers and its literally the only thing that can keep the drone from the headers down. The Dynomax muffler is what really cuts down on the drone from an exhaust standpoint. Your other options are sound deadening which is expensive and a pain in the butt...and Im not sold on how well it works. With what I have I am comfortable taking 4+ hour drives so its good enough :)

·
Registered
1,215 Posts

This is spot on. I've tried 3 or 4 different exhaust combos the what I have now resulted in the quietest while keeping flow high for power.

Custom mandrel bent 2.5" piping with a Hushpower muffler as my resonator and the Dynomax muffler as my final muffler. Yes thats two mufflers and its literally the only thing that can keep the drone from the headers down. The Dynomax muffler is what really cuts down on the drone from an exhaust standpoint. Your other options are sound deadening which is expensive and a pain in the butt...and Im not sold on how well it works. With what I have I am comfortable taking 4+ hour drives so its good enough :)

Except mine is custom mandrel bent 2.5" --> Hushpower --> Borla muffler. Couldn't be happier and wish I had discovered this before dropping over 1k on 2 previous exhausts. :face:

·
0 Posts
Just to put things into perspective. My motor (meaning the whole motor) is easily twice, if not 3X as loud with just the RBC manifold and cold air intake on it as with the blower. It's easy to forget just how loud an un-muffled intake pipe is and also, the lightweight intake manifold, itself, resonates in the same way that the exhaust header does and also seems to amplify the injector noise. The big, heavy blower and manifold muffle a lot of that sound.

Bottom line: I wish my car were as quiet as it was with the blower on it, so realy not much to complain about.

·
Always on TDY...
2,153 Posts
Concur with the gents above! I'm going custom 2.5” with an HP2 (same as hushpower) and dynomax super turbo muffler. Currently have 06 Type S exhaust, but its restricting flow causing boost to hit higher than it should.

The q300 is also an awesome aftermarket exhaust that is fairly quiet under normal load

·
7,078 Posts
Concur with the gents above! I'm going custom 2.5” with an HP2 (same as hushpower) and dynomax super turbo muffler. Currently have 06 Type S exhaust, but its restricting flow causing boost to hit higher than it should.

The q300 is also an awesome aftermarket exhaust that is fairly quiet under normal load
I had the Greddy SP2 exhaust and that was very quiet and had a great tone...but that flow was just awful. I also saw an increase in boost (not a good increase) when using this exhaust.

·
7,078 Posts

Except mine is custom mandrel bent 2.5" --> Hushpower --> Borla muffler. Couldn't be happier and wish I had discovered this before dropping over 1k on 2 previous exhausts. :face:
LOL...I actually had Borla first and it was GREAT! Unfortunately I drove to the beach and got salt water all over the exhaust and never washed the car and it rusted right through the muffler...fail.

·
Been there & gone back
2,315 Posts

I am running the same exhaust setup plus the sound deadening and I LOVE my car. At least from inside the cab he he he its quiet as can be. The doors shut like a luxury car and I haven't heard drone in 5 years lol.

·
7,078 Posts
I am running the same exhaust setup plus the sound deadening and I LOVE my car. At least from inside the cab he he he its quiet as can be. The doors shut like a luxury car and I haven't heard drone in 5 years lol.
I'd really like to ride in your car to see how much of a difference that makes. You are the only one I know that STANDS by this stuff where I've heard others say "ehhhh....". I've never had the chance to ride in one so I can't say either way.

·
0 Posts
I think the final drive ratio and ergo, cruising rpm, has a lot to do with it. My car seems 2X as loud if I keep it in 5th, as opposed to shifting into 6th on the freeway. 4.30 FD, by the way.

·
Been there & gone back
2,315 Posts
I think the final drive ratio and ergo, cruising rpm, has a lot to do with it. My car seems 2X as loud if I keep it in 5th, as opposed to shifting into 6th on the freeway. 4.30 FD, by the way.
This does play a part in it all. I have always had the 4.7 with most my diff blower setups. I recently finished my 4.3 final with tsx 5&6 and I can say that with the sound deadening it super quiet. With the windows down its very quiet low K24 rpm but is very vocal when that bypass closes on teh SC. He he he.

Sam if you ever come to Dallas give me a shout anytime it would be nice to meet you after all these years.

·
cheesin'
450 Posts
i have a thermal r&d 3" exhaust and its pretty quite for 3". I havent installed my blower yet but i dont see why it would make the exhaust louder just hear the supercharger whine.

·
Modding One Car Is Easy
259 Posts
I've had the Greddy Sp2 for about 6 years now, and I love the way it sounds. I'm at the point where the car is quick, but I'm fine with not reaching the upper-echelon of performance with it. I've found that once I made my mind up as to what my end-goal with the car was, the easier my decision was to sacrifice a little power.

·
Registered
668 Posts
I have a hytech full out race header an hi flow cat
Apexi world sport exhaust an aem intake short ram 3"
An my car is so quiet at idle can't even hear it
An when I drive it sounds so quiet until you bang gears it sounds insane doesn't
Sound like any other rsx very deep almost like
350z or g 35 no lie best exhaust ever for our car
Ill never put anything else on my car

·
Registered
174 Posts
My two cents. After listening to dozens of exhausts on the youtubes, I went for the Fujitsubo RM01A with a race header. It has a deep sound, unlike a lot of high pitched exhausts out there. Its very stealth when just cruising, but it gets much louder combined with the RH in Vtec, still deep pitched though. My installer was so impressed, he picked one up for his SC'ed Civic. Don't know how the other Fuji models sound though. Definitely recommend listening on Youtube.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Searched for answers. Didn’t find any. If this has been answered please share the link.
I know this is for sc, but can it be used for turbo cars too?
If so, what part number is the hushpower muffler you guys are using?

If you still have it, how has that setup held up with the dynamax muffler?

Thank you in advance!!

·
Always on TDY...
2,153 Posts
Yes, it can be used with a turbo or NA setup. Still have it today and has held up over the years. I have 2.5" custom piping (I didn't bother with mandrel bent) pairing a 2.5" Flowmaster HP-2 + 2.5" Dynomax Super Turbo Muffler. Had this setup for at least 4 years with no issues.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Yes, it can be used with a turbo or NA setup. Still have it today and has held up over the years. I have 2.5" custom piping (I didn't bother with mandrel bent) pairing a 2.5" Flowmaster HP-2 + 2.5" Dynomax Super Turbo Muffler. Had this setup for at least 4 years with no issues.
Thanks for your quick response!

Do you happen to have the part numbers you used with your setup?

Also, any photos of your setup will be greatly appreciated!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts