Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

Which direction do you push the hood latch

11K views 19 replies 16 participants last post by  paulkramer 
#1 ·
Hi, I have opened my hood a few times before, but I was trying to open it today and it wouldnt open. Honestly every time I have opened it before I have found it difficult and only after a few minutes of pushing or pulling the latch in a few directions the thing would open.

If someone can tell me which direction do you have to push/pull the latch (below in the pic). Looking at the pic it seems you probably have to push it to the drivers side or pull it up.

See less See more
#7 ·
if its being iffy, follow the hood latch back like 2 inches and just push it to the right. i know mine wouldnt open when simply pushed upwards i had to reach to the back of it where it bends downwards and push it right.

#8 · (Edited)
After you get it open, spray the latch with some White Lithium Grease. This will keep it from getting stuck. You should spray all the latches and hinges, it's part of the 30,000 mile service as stated in the owners manual. Its one of those thing that most people and dealers overlook.

#10 ·
Also, push it on the very outer left edge of the metal as close to the car as possible (as inside as possible)

I find if you just try to use the black plastic tip on the end, it doesn't work as well.

#16 ·
That latch sucks - the lever is too long for the amount of play in the pivot point - pushing up on the lever like it's designed to be pushed causes it to bind rather than rotate, because so much of the force is pushing the lever rearwards, instead of upwards.

It's not an issue of not enough grease.

Has anyone ever replaced theirs and found that installing a new part solves this problem?

#19 ·
Is there some sort of bolt for that actual part that you can tighten?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.