Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody.

I am getting an "Auto to Manual Trans" swap done on my 2003 base auto.

Need to do this in order to use K-Pro.

Down the road I am planning to do a K24A2 swap.

====

So . . .

Will I need to get a Manual Tran ECU ?

If yes, does it need to be from a TSX or an RSX ? Or does it matter from which car ?

Any ECU part number you can recommend ?

What is typical cost for the ECU ?

=====

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
So you found someone to make you the conversion harness?
Thanks a lot for the reply.

I am planning to visit the tune shop tomorrow morning.

They have done conversion on Honda's, and they appear to be confident working on an RSX.

=====

So I am here to make certain all bases are covered.

1) - Does the Manual Trans ECU have to be from an RSX or a TSX ? Or would either one be fine ?

-------------

2) - I will try looking for some videos about a "Conversion Harness" ?

Is a conversion harness needed for the " Auto-to-Manual " Trans swap ? or would it be for the " K24A2 engine swap " ?

Keep in mind that the K24A2 engine swap will be down the road ( later in the year ) ?

IF the harness is for the engine swap, should get a conversion harness installed now or is it ok to install later without a lot of hassle ?

From which car ( a TSX or an RSX ) should I get the conversion harness ? or is this an aftermarket item ?

Do you already have any links to share ?

-------------

3) - I took a look at some of the postings at . . .

k20a.org rsx auto to manual swap - Google Search

But, what I am really wanting to know is what are the "critical / must-have " parts that the performance shop will need ?

I would very likely have THEM source the " junk yard " parts.

-------------

4) - Out of all these parts, which of these would you suggest should be aftermarket vs. from a junk yard ?

If any parts should be aftermarket, please suggest any reasonably priced, reliable brands.

-------------

5) - Just trying to do everything in the correct order, covering all my bases, and as smoothly as possible .

And do not want to " paint myself into a corner " .

This is the order I am thinking of . . .

1ST - "Auto to Manual Trans swap"
2ND - The "K-Pro"
3RD - "K24A2" engine swap ( later in the year ).

Or would I be wasting money getting the K-Pro before the engine swap ?

=======

I am ready to have a performance shop get started on this project

·
Super Moderator
1,988 Posts
Disregard my first comment, I misread the post. Check out the swap threads on here and they’ll have listed whatever you need. You can only run an rsx ecu, the part number can be cross referenced on Hondatas website to see what’s compatible. They have been hard to come by from what I’m seeing though.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Disregard my first comment, I misread the post. Check out the swap threads on here and they’ll have listed whatever you need. You can only run an rsx ecu, the part number can be cross referenced on Hondatas website to see what’s compatible. They have been hard to come by from what I’m seeing though.
1) - So I can do the " conversion harness " later, correct ?

2) - I will check out some ECU's and send you some links on what I find on the market.

3)- Thanks for specifying that it has to be an RSX Manual Trans ECU.

- So an RSX Manual ECU will work with both the Manual Trans Swap and also the future addition of the K24A2, correct ?

- Does it have to be a BASE ECU ? Or can it be a Type-S ?

- Does it have to be an '02 to '04 ? Or can it also be an '05 to '06 ?

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No conversion harness needed, I didn’t realize you were swapping the trans.
The ECU can be from either car as long as it’s 02-04, but cross reference on Hondatas website before you buy.
Thanks a lot man.

So an RSX Manual ECU will work with both the Manual Trans Swap and also the future addition of the K24A2, correct ?

I will send you some links on what I find on the market.

·
Original Owner
2005 acura rsx type s
803 Posts
The manual ecu is meant to be use to convert to kpro. You'll have issue with the immobilizer if you try to use the manual ecu without a bypass or getting program by the dealer so you're better off just getting the ecu kpro first.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
The manual ecu is meant to be use to convert to kpro. You'll have issue with the immobilizer if you try to use the manual ecu without a bypass or getting program by the dealer so you're better off just getting the ecu kpro first.
Thanks for the reply.

Okay, so I'll get the "Auto to Manual" swap and the K-Pro done at the same time.

=========

Potential good news with the ECU.

It seems as if K-Pro v4 will convert an Auto Trans ECU so that it can be used on a Manual Transmission.

According to the Hondata website K-Pro v4 will, " install the manual transmission code into this [ auto trans ] ECU ".

It further said, " With the KPro4 it is possible to use the 2002-2004 RSX base auto ECU. This will only work for engine swaps " .

So it appears that I can keep my Auto Trans ECU for the " Auto-To-Manual Swap ".

-----------------

Now here is the caveat, if using my existing auto Trans ECU " will only work for engine swaps ", does this mean I will have to do all three things at the same time ( ie - manual trans swap, K-PRO and the K24A2 swap ) ?

Was trying to hold off on the K24A2 swap till later due to funds at this present time.

Alternatively, could I get an " official " Manual Trans ECU and do just the manual-trans-swap and the K-PRO ?

But if I use an AUTO ECU, I will NOT have the reverse lockout. So I rather not take the risk.

Most likely will go with buying an M/T ECU instead.

-----------------

Please see these links . . .

KPRO on Automatic RSX ECU from Humble Performance!

----------------

Is my understanding correct ?

Or am I mistaken ?

·
Super Moderator
1,988 Posts
Thanks for the reply.

Okay, so I'll get the "Auto to Manual" swap and the K-Pro done at the same time.

=========

Potential good news with the ECU.

It seems as if K-Pro v4 will convert an Auto Trans ECU so that it can be used on a Manual Transmission.

According to the Hondata website K-Pro v4 will, " install the manual transmission code into this [ auto trans ] ECU ".

It further said, " With the KPro4 it is possible to use the 2002-2004 RSX base auto ECU. This will only work for engine swaps " .

So it appears that I can keep my Auto Trans ECU for the " Auto-To-Manual Swap ".

-----------------

Now here is the caveat, if using my existing auto Trans ECU " will only work for engine swaps ", does this mean I will have to do all three things at the same time ( ie - manual trans swap, K-PRO and the K24A2 swap ) ?

Was trying to hold off on the K24A2 swap till later due to funds at this present time.

Alternatively, could I get an " official " Manual Trans ECU and do just the manual-trans-swap and the K-PRO ?

-----------------

Please see these links . . .

KPRO on Automatic RSX ECU from Humble Performance!

----------------

Is my understanding correct ?

Or am I mistaken ?
I think you misread Hondatas website. The auto ECU is not compatible with Kpro. You need a conversion harness, this is what I was referring to earlier. We've had this discussion in the multiple threads you've posted about this over the last year.

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
If you’re swapping just the trans now all you really need is an 02-04 base (k20a3) manual ECU ($250), the corresponding pedals, hydraulic lines, master cylinder, etc, and the auto to manual mount adapter (I think hasport makes one). The only real diff between the auto and manual base ecu are the connections and programming for the auto trans.

When swapping to the k24a2 later, the answer is you need an 02-04 Type-S ecu and kpro. This will run you like $1200.

I’d also think you can just do the type s and kpro ecu to start and just run an a3 basemap then retune with the k24, but hondata can clear that up for you.

·
Original Owner
2005 acura rsx type s
803 Posts
look at hasport page
Auto-to-Manual Swap - VTEC Academy

·
Super Moderator
1,988 Posts
If you’re swapping just the trans now all you really need is an 02-04 base (k20a3) manual ECU ($250), the corresponding pedals, hydraulic lines, master cylinder, etc, and the auto to manual mount adapter (I think hasport makes one). The only real diff between the auto and manual base ecu are the connections and programming for the auto trans.

When swapping to the k24a2 later, the answer is you need an 02-04 Type-S ecu and kpro. This will run you like $1200.

I’d also think you can just do the type s and kpro ecu to start and just run an a3 basemap then retune with the k24, but hondata can clear that up for you.
He should be able to do the swap with a PND ECU though. It would just come down to copying and pasting the values from the PRB swap tune to a file with a PND codebase.

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
He should be able to do the swap with a PND ECU though. It would just come down to copying and pasting the values from the PRB swap tune to a file with a PND codebase.
i may be a little behind, I didn’t know hondata was doing PNDs now. I’m confused as to what they mean by “for engine swaps only,” though.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts