Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is mainly for street application...what is a good car to invest on and dump a good amount of cash on it?
As an enthustist, I want to build a great street car with approximately 500 - 600 horsepower with VERY GOOD SUSPENSION. yes, i know any car can be made fast with insane of cash dumped, but please give some comments on a car that can match the specification above with the LEAST amount of cash spent?

i have asked my friends, and they keep telling me the following:

1) 350z
2) rx7
3) s2k
4) new skyline =/=
5) STi (no EVOs in canada)

·
Firefighter/Paramedic
8,720 Posts
If you have to ask this question, you probably aren't that passionate about it, and I doubt you'll ever see anywhere near 500-600 hp.

That being said, I vote new Skyline, cause I think they look cool.

Edit: Just buy a Z06.

·
Registered
283 Posts
1- If you're planning to build a car specifically for street racing..... just walk over to the impound lot and familiarize yourself with it... you'll be visiting soon.

2- If you're asking how to get a crapload of power, you're not prepared to make it.

3- The cheapest bang/buck for outright power will always be a V8 and rear drive.

·
Registered
257 Posts
senseiturtle said:
1- If you're planning to build a car specifically for street racing..... just walk over to the impound lot and familiarize yourself with it... you'll be visiting soon.

2- If you're asking how to get a crapload of power, you're not prepared to make it.

3- The cheapest bang/buck for outright power will always be a V8 and rear drive.
agree...

·
Love ///My new car
2,725 Posts
senseiturtle said:

without extensive tuning (=$$$$$) any 4cy car should be ruled out S2K and STi- see ya. without an engine build and extensive tuning (=$$$$$$$$) the 350Z and RX-7 should be ruled out. The new Skyline would be the best approach for what you want it seems, since you want a JAP car like you said and people don't read, your gunna have to boost the hell out of whatever you choose. Now I agree the best bang for buck is grabbing a V8 and boosting it, you could probably buy a C5 Corvette and supercharge it for way less than the new Skyline, plan your project a little more in detail and start looking at the cost of the aftermarket parts you'll need before you consider a car to go with. also a MKIV Supra would be a solid platform

·
Si vis pacem, para bellum
2,280 Posts
Turbo To the Max said:
This is mainly for street application...what is a good car to invest on and dump a good amount of cash on it?
As an enthustist, I want to build a great street car with approximately 500 - 600 horsepower with VERY GOOD SUSPENSION. yes, i know any car can be made fast with insane of cash dumped, but please give some comments on a car that can match the specification above with the LEAST amount of cash spent?

i have asked my friends, and they keep telling me the following:

1) 350z
2) rx7
3) s2k
4) new skyline =/=
5) STi (no EVOs in canada)
MR2...mid engine, rear wheel drive, already turboed, engines are pretty much bulletproof stock up to 350-400 hp, 50/50 weight distribution, and nice suspension.

·
Yeah, it's that big
10,632 Posts
The RX7 is an amazing performance machine. I've seen R1's beat Z06's on many courses. Unfortunately, they're not very reliable in stock form, but if you're looking to build like you say, you're going to have to get used to your car needing work all the time..... that's the nature of tuning. You can't be at the cutting edge of performance and be eternally reliable. The two are mutually exclusive. The RX-7 R1 get's my vote.

If you're just looking to pay someone to do your work for you and be the cool racer kid in the neighborhood, then a Supra or 300Z should suffice.

I assume this isn't a daily driver, right?

·
If ur not 1st ur last
6,854 Posts
finding a rx-7 and skyline is not easy and if you do you shouldnt compare them with some of the others you mentioned.

If I were you I would buy the S2000...Put all the money you want in that and leave it at that.

·
Registered
146 Posts
You said *new* skyline... does you mean the new GT-R? Because that's uh, way ahead of every other car on the list and you probably wouldn't need to do anything in terms of modding to get it to beat 95% of the things on the road.

·
Registered
11,669 Posts
VQ35 motor isn't one that responds that well to mods, at least that was a few years ago when I was looking at the 350Z. May have changed by now.

·
Registered
11,669 Posts
Anyways, 600-700 HP with exceptional handling is usually pretty difficult. You don't want some giant T4 turbo spooling on a turn.

·
Must...stop...modding!!
3,953 Posts
talk about being politically correct :rolleyes:

the term "jap" is a derrogatory term used to refer to Japanese people

but to answer your question, out of those I would go with the STI. Slap a bigger turbo on it and all the supporting mods to boot, and work with the AWD and tune the suspension, and you should come out with a more than capable car.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts