Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

441 - 459 of 459 Posts

·
#Inkpot
4,813 Posts
what do the numbers 5831 denote?

so it starts spooling at about 2k, when do you start really feeling the increase? And wow it tops out 4.5k and your making that much?

That makes me think if I were to try and get something that will noticeably start spooling at 3.5/4k and went to 5.5/6k Itd be way more power than Id want.

·
y u mad tho?
6,181 Posts
Lol the damn avi is spreading into other threads now :shakehead

when do you think a typical t3/t4 housing with those sizes will begin to make power? Reach full spool? Is that sizing about what most companies offer as a do-all turbo?

Also, thanks for all the feedback here and in our forum Alex. Really appreciate it :thumbsup:
There is no do all turbo for all vehicles. Whats big on our cars would be small on cars with larger engines. There are V8s that run twin GT35Rs and single 80mm turbochargers that spool like a gt35r would on a honda because of how much volume of air they can move to spin a turbine that large.

so it starts spooling at about 2k, when do you start really feeling the increase? And wow it tops out 4.5k and your making that much?

That makes me think if I were to try and get something that will noticeably start spooling at 3.5/4k and went to 5.5/6k Itd be way more power than Id want.
The 58 denotes a 58mm compressor turbine and I couldnt tell you what the 31 is.

James makes full boost at 4.5K and if you look at his power curve it holds out relatively well. When you pair a turbocharger with engines you can get several different types of graphs.

Expect his RSX to make less power with a smaller turbo at the same boost level, but with a power band shifted to the left more, and falling off up top *generally speaking. And the opposite for a larger turbo at the same boost.

These are general characteristics you see when selecting a turbocharger. A turbo that reaches full boost at 6k is imo a bit too large for what youre after.

·
#RandyRacing
1,640 Posts
As far as I understand yes 58mm compressor wheel.

For Precision the 31 denotes an entry level turbo.

I believe the way Precision has it set up is; the higher the second number, the more power the turbo will make of the compressor wheel size.

·
#Inkpot
4,813 Posts
There is no do all turbo for all vehicles. Whats big on our cars would be small on cars with larger engines. There are V8s that run twin GT35Rs and single 80mm turbochargers that spool like a gt35r would on a honda because of how much volume of air they can move to spin a turbine that large.

James makes full boost at 4.5K and if you look at his power curve it holds out relatively well. When you pair a turbocharger with engines you can get several different types of graphs.

Expect his RSX to make less power with a smaller turbo at the same boost level, but with a power band shifted to the left more, and falling off up top *generally speaking. And the opposite for a larger turbo at the same boost.

These are general characteristics you see when selecting a turbocharger. A turbo that reaches full boost at 6k is imo a bit too large for what youre after.
So would it be somewhat reasonable logic that if someone were to buy a bigger turbo, in respective comparison, and ran less boost they would see/feel boost later and it would top out further up the range? And lower boost would be able to gain the desired power while not over doing it?

*Im not talking specifically about my goals at this point, just general logic I guess.

As far as I understand yes 58mm compressor wheel.

For Precision the 31 denotes an entry level turbo.

I believe the way Precision has it set up is; the higher the second number, the more power the turbo will make of the compressor wheel size.
Hmm interesting. I suppose there is going to be differences in how different manufacturers name and describe their products.

·
y u mad tho?
6,181 Posts
yes, if you bought a larger turbo and ran less boost you would still see a later spool and a powerband shift to the right vs. someone with the same setup and smaller turbo.

·
#Inkpot
4,813 Posts
After some initial reading I think I'm leaning to the gt3076r

Lots more to read before buying anything

The bit if info I read didn't mention fuel or injector size but it seems that lower 300s are possible with 4-6 pounds of boost and obviously tons of room for going for more.

I think I'd try to hook up the fuel return before all I consider it finished and ready to tune.

Thanks again Alex, when you were mentioning gt30s before I thought that'd it'd be too big. Seems to be perfect.

·
Registered
6 Posts
can a fullrace borgwarner efr turbokit be tuned down to 350whp? I know i will want more in the future so im keeping that in mind with kit choice but i dont need 400+ right out the gate. looking to run close to stock with appropriate supporting mods and upgrade the internals and other bits as time goes on but keep the same turbo setup. any advice is appreciated

·
Registered
5 Posts
turbo kit

So there was asite i found a while back and now i cant find it. The site offered turbo kits as well as internals as a whole package. it had multiple different packages. does this ring abell to anyone. does any one know of a site like this that has complete packages available at decent prices????

·
Shazaam
4,596 Posts
So there was asite i found a while back and now i cant find it. The site offered turbo kits as well as internals as a whole package. it had multiple different packages. does this ring abell to anyone. does any one know of a site like this that has complete packages available at decent prices????
Doesn't ring any bells here. Full-Race is just about the only production kit I would recommend to anybody and it is far from cheap.

·
Shazaam
4,596 Posts
can a fullrace borgwarner efr turbokit be tuned down to 350whp? I know i will want more in the future so im keeping that in mind with kit choice but i dont need 400+ right out the gate. looking to run close to stock with appropriate supporting mods and upgrade the internals and other bits as time goes on but keep the same turbo setup. any advice is appreciated
What is your final goal? 350-400 can easily be attained without using an expensive full-race/borg warner EFR setup. You can use a log manifold and a precision turbo to get those power levels and more.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Has anyone ever tried doing a twin turbo set up on a k20 similar to the rb26dett? Similar in the sense that it's one turbo to 50% of the cylinders? Rb26dett has one turbo to the first 3 cylinders and then the other turbo to the other three cylinders. For the k20 you'd need all custom manifolds to split each turbo from the cylinders. You could even go with a true dual exhaust system or just join the downpipes and keep the single exhaust. I don't really know, I sort of just had this idea come to me while doing research on different engines and turbos. If anyone has done this or knows of something like this please send me a link.

·
Registered
152 Posts
+ 1 for the Greddy Turbo Kit

Holy cow! I just read thru all 19pgs. It was a good read but this thread has a TON OF PORK! LOL. I went with a Greddy turbo kit. I am getting the feeling that most rsx owners are incapable of making a decision by themselves. Haha. Case in point.....

So it is 2016 and I just picked up a pre-owned Greddy Type S complete turbo kit for what I think (you may not!) is a smoking deal $1600 without the shitty emanage and it came with a HKS BOV, Downpipe, Greddy Intercooler and all of the nuts and bolts for the install. So I'd like to pick someone's brain with the following questions:

1. Greddy kit costed me $1600. Yay or nay?

(I still have my AM setup with Invidia RH/E that I do not mind keeping the AM setup and instead sell the turbo kit or vice versa keep the turbo and sell the Invidia 421 RH).

2. My whip is an 06 Type S does anyone know if the kit bolts up directly to an 06? The reason I ask is because the Greddy site has the kit listed for 02 to 04 K20A and not 06 K20Z1. Thanks!

3. I heard downgrading to 250cc injectors is the tits and will give more vtec power is this true? Lol. J/K! ;)

4. I am running Ktuner (awesome btw). Does anyone have any greddy turbo tunes to share for an 06 Type S? If so, please PM the file to me. Super thanks!

5. Last question...Can someone please pass me a reference for a turbo dyno tune in the Socal area? Thanks.

·
Banned
31,134 Posts
Holy cow! I just read thru all 19pgs. It was a good read but this thread has a TON OF PORK! LOL. I went with a Greddy turbo kit. I am getting the feeling that most rsx owners are incapable of making a decision by themselves. Haha. Case in point.....

So it is 2016 and I just picked up a pre-owned Greddy Type S complete turbo kit for what I think (you may not!) is a smoking deal $1600 without the shitty emanage and it came with a HKS BOV, Downpipe, Greddy Intercooler and all of the nuts and bolts for the install. So I'd like to pick someone's brain with the following questions:

1. Greddy kit costed me $1600. Yay or nay?

(I still have my AM setup with Invidia RH/E that I do not mind keeping the AM setup and instead sell the turbo kit or vice versa keep the turbo and sell the Invidia 421 RH).

2. My whip is an 06 Type S does anyone know if the kit bolts up directly to an 06? The reason I ask is because the Greddy site has the kit listed for 02 to 04 K20A and not 06 K20Z1. Thanks!

3. I heard downgrading to 250cc injectors is the tits and will give more vtec power is this true? Lol. J/K! ;)

4. I am running Ktuner (awesome btw). Does anyone have any greddy turbo tunes to share for an 06 Type S? If so, please PM the file to me. Super thanks!

5. Last question...Can someone please pass me a reference for a turbo dyno tune in the Socal area? Thanks.
$1600 for any kind of boost is a good deal.
The Greddy kit is not terrible quality wise... but it's very limited. You won't ever be able to make 500whp+ out of it...
So basically, this kit is a good as your goals are. That's the key.

·
Registered
2 Posts
As a new RSX-S owner ('[email protected] miles) Ive poured over all the info in the sticky threads and all the pages of replies. Also Ive done a fair amount of research on most of the popular kits and some custom ones as well. All that aside, I'm still pretty undecided on what kit Im looking for to shoot in the ballpark of 300-350 horses. Im shooting for that amount of power as this will be a somewhat daily along with my '99 tegg gsr. Im looking at the revhard and the full race kits as far as IC, piping oil line, manifold, BOV, and WG but Im looking for help on a reliable turbo itself. when you look at the kits online, power numbers are hard to find and this wont be a track/drag car or a power monster due to 'reliability' (relative term) Thanks for the read, any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I've been running the HKS gt2835 turbo kit along with the HKS intercooler kit for the past year. I absolutely love it. Paid $3500 brand new. Decent considering the original price is $3500 for the kit and $1500 for the intercooler kit. This was my DD and made around 280whp 220wtq on a k24a2 @ 5psi (wastegate). This season I'm putting the Z1 back in with internals or a full oem rebuild, and will run E85, 1000's and up the boost to around 10psi. The manifold on these cast log kits are where things bottle neck. If you want 400+ whp I'd say stick with Full-Race or any other company running tubular/sidewinder style manifolds.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks alot homie, 282 sounds perfect for me and Im planning on using an in-car boost controller so 220 lb/ft at just 5lbs sounds like a great daily amount of boost with an option to crank it up a few for a jolt. Ill do some research on the 2835. thats a Garrett model right?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Yes it's a Garrett turbo. HKS opens them up and rebuilds them to their specs. It's a very good and responsive turbo. 250 wtq is plenty. You'll like it

441 - 459 of 459 Posts