Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Former Mod-Still a God
209,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
LOUD Whining noise in reverse

my friends 04 base auto makes an extremely loud whining noise when she is going in reverse but reverse only. I know there is the usual whine you get in reverse but this is totally different. shes taking it in on monday but im just seeing if anyone might know whats going on. thanks

·
Registered
135 Posts
if it is a manual, reverse makes a noise that kind of sounds like a whine but more of a rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr sound. is it that????????

·
Former Mod-Still a God
209,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
if it is a manual, reverse makes a noise that kind of sounds like a whine but more of a rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr sound. is it that????????
no i know the whine you are talking about and its deff not that, it extremely loud and even if she is going very slow it still makes it oh and its a base auto

·
Registered
135 Posts
Try draining the tans fluid out to check for any metal peices. use a special fuller deal (its a paper like fullen with a screen at the bottom to catch the tiny metal pieces) and if there are peices then maybe take it in. other than that i really dont know man sorry.

·
Former Mod-Still a God
209,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Try draining the tans fluid out to check for any metal peices. use a special fuller deal (its a paper like fullen with a screen at the bottom to catch the tiny metal pieces) and if there are peices then maybe take it in. other than that i really dont know man sorry.
no its ok, i forgot to mention the sound is coming from the rear of the car also so i dont think its a tranny prob

·
Registered
135 Posts
Well thats good. but yea I am stumped i guess i would have to here it close up. but hey i just thought of this. check your bearings. maybe they are goin bad.

·
Registered
102 Posts
bump

my car just started doing this too, i have an 02 type s 60K and it is a loud whine/hum only in reverse (no not the normal whine), sounds like it is coming from the rear passenger side

anyone have a clue?

·
Engineering
25,578 Posts
mine makes that noise too, only when i'm going down the driveway.

·
Registered
102 Posts
reverse gears are square cut not bevel cit almost all cars do it/
dude, you gotta read the post. Its not the normal reverse whine, it sounds more like a belt whine/moan (not squealing) but it is coming from the rear.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
why would it only do it in reverse and no other time?

because the wear indicators are only hitting the rotors when you are in revervse. Not sure why it happens, but we get that complaint alot. "Whine noise when in reverse"

It usually means that rear brakes are low.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts