Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know why the base uses 5-20 and the S uses 5-30? Is it for fuel economy? Does anyone know, I would love to hear because I'm thinking 5-30 would be better for higher performance. l'd like to switch overwhen I do my next change.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Go for it. My motor valve tapping went away after I switched to 5W-30. If you do a research (Such as I :D ) Honda now uses 5W-20 for all of their motors that don't rev past 7k. Every motor in their lineup that revs past 7k, they use 5W-30. That and I feel alot better revving to 7700 RPMs with Hondata and 5W-30 than I do with 5W-20...it's just such a thin oil. I'm sure Honda uses 5W-20 for economy.

·
yada, yada
1,917 Posts
Mobil 1 syn 5W-30. Put it my base...very smooth :thumbsup: And dealership ok'ed it for regular use:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
213 Posts
I use the mobil 1 0w-30 and mobil one filter in my base and love it. There is a new thread on the regular performance forum with some oil analysis results from the 0w-30.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ChadB said:
Mobil 1 syn 5W-30. Put it my base...very smooth :thumbsup: And dealership ok'ed it for regular use:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Thanks for the info. I was thinking that they were doing it for the gas mileage economy thing. I just could think of any reason it would be a problem, but I'm not a motor guru. I'm running this as my mid oil change. I can't believe they say 10K between changes. I'm doing 5K and looking to move to one of the syntetics(sp) at 10K.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Jazz RSX said:
Does anyone know why the base uses 5-20 and the S uses 5-30? Is it for fuel economy? Does anyone know, I would love to hear because I'm thinking 5-30 would be better for higher performance. l'd like to switch overwhen I do my next change.
it's just an enviromental issue i think

·
doing stuff
3,595 Posts
Go_Canes said:
Amsoil is a decent oil, but nothing great. You're better off with Redline, Synergyn, Motul or even Mobil 1.
Independent tests reveal Amsoil outperforming Mobil 1 by large margins. Haven't seen comparison data on Redline, Syn or Motul, but would like to see data. My opinion is not subjective. Let's see the data.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Total BS. Amsoil is very average and has been proven to be well behind the times in terms of formulation. Why didn't you include links to any of these independent tests? Please be sure to provide real UOAs, not snake-oil 4-ball wear test BS.

·
doing stuff
3,595 Posts
If the "snake oil" tests aren't good enough then please show me the comparison tests that are. No need to get adversarial about it. I, as you, am always looking for the best for my car. If the other oils are significantly better I'd gladly switch. So far I can't find any other comparison data. I simply suggested what I've been using and so far so good.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Again, UOAs. It's the best way to know how an oil is working. It sounds like you don't do them though, so you can't be sure how Amsoil is actually working for you. Go to BITOG and do some searching. There's tons of great information there. Amsoil is decent, but nowhere near as good as it's pyramid marketing scheme hype would have us believe.

·
doing stuff
3,595 Posts
Go_Canes said:
Again, UOAs. It's the best way to know how an oil is working. It sounds like you don't do them though, so you can't be sure how Amsoil is actually working for you. Go to BITOG and do some searching. There's tons of great information there. Amsoil is decent, but nowhere near as good as it's pyramid marketing scheme hype would have us believe.
Appreciate the info, bro. I'll check it out.

·
Registered
311 Posts
DavidT said:
Go for it. My motor valve tapping went away after I switched to 5W-30. If you do a research (Such as I :D ) Honda now uses 5W-20 for all of their motors that don't rev past 7k. Every motor in their lineup that revs past 7k, they use 5W-30. That and I feel alot better revving to 7700 RPMs with Hondata and 5W-30 than I do with 5W-20...it's just such a thin oil. I'm sure Honda uses 5W-20 for economy.

you said you experienced valve tapping. Can you describe the sound and at what rpm range you heard it. REason i'm askin is because, i'm hearing some type of tapping from 2500-3000 rpm range. I take my foot off the throttle it goes away, i put it back on, it comes back. I don't believe i'm knocking since the Apexi S-AFC II isn't registering knock and the car is running smoothly. Just describe to me what valve tapping is and how you knew that you was getting this. Thanks!

·
Registered
529 Posts
I could only hear my valves tapping at idle with the hood up. Or if I went through a drive through surrounded by walls you could hear it tap @ idle. When I changed to 5W-30 it elimated the tap @ idle. Mine didn't tap at 2500-3000 RPM...it just sounded like a normal motor :)

·
Registered
311 Posts
DavidT said:
I could only hear my valves tapping at idle with the hood up. Or if I went through a drive through surrounded by walls you could hear it tap @ idle. When I changed to 5W-30 it elimated the tap @ idle. Mine didn't tap at 2500-3000 RPM...it just sounded like a normal motor :)
Did the tapping sound like electricity arcing if you know what it sounds like???

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
sageprime1 said:
you said you experienced valve tapping. Can you describe the sound and at what rpm range you heard it. REason i'm askin is because, i'm hearing some type of tapping from 2500-3000 rpm range. I take my foot off the throttle it goes away, i put it back on, it comes back. I don't believe i'm knocking since the Apexi S-AFC II isn't registering knock and the car is running smoothly. Just describe to me what valve tapping is and how you knew that you was getting this. Thanks!
I get that too. It's just Honda engines as far as I can surmise. It's normal.

·
Registered
311 Posts
James S said:
I get that too. It's just Honda engines as far as I can surmise. It's normal.
i'm not talking about that ticking you always hear when you start the rsx engine. Yes, i know that's normal. But this sound only occurs in the rpms range im talkin about. The sound i'm talking about has a higher freqency, meaning the ticking is happening more in a second in contrast to the ticking you usually hear with this rsx engine.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts