·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
why wont type s mods fit our bases?

·
Ex-Mod
25,997 Posts
Same reason why Honda V6 parts wont fit on a Honda 4 cyl motors.
They are slightly diffrent motors, (base and Type s motors) depending on what your trying to fit.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
There are several minor differences that mess it all up, such as the IAT sensor on the intake side.

Type S exhaust and header stuff will fit the Base, and Type S intakes will fit the Base with some slight modification. Type S intakes will not run optimally because the intake air temperature sensor is in a different location on the Type S intakes. And the Comptech Icebox will not fit the auto because the Auto obstructs the intake snorkel.

·
Registered
529 Posts
IAT placement doesn't make a whole lot of difference. Obviously if they were a mile apart it would. But think about a CAI, and a SRI. IAT placement is slightly different between the two so it doesn't make too much difference as long as it's down deep enough to read intake temp. Stock and stock, IAT sensors sit in the same place from the factory...my A3 IAT in my EP is in the same location as the A2 in the Type S.

·
Relish then catch up
1,884 Posts
Forget all the other stuff. Somebody needs to make the supercharger fit.

·
Super Modulator
2,128 Posts
James S said:
Type S exhaust and header stuff will fit the Base, and Type S intakes will fit the Base with some slight modification.
Actually the exhaust also needs to be slightly modified to fit the base, the flange is different.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
It is? That's good to know.

What's different about it, is altering the flange a simple job or does it require welding on a different flange? And is this the flange on the header or the exhaust? I thought you could bolt up a Type-S Exhaust onto a Type-S header on a Base block without modification ... am I wrong?

·
Registered
16,456 Posts
if you run a typeS header on the base with the full exhaust set up (a-pipe, b-ipipe, and muffler) then it'll work.

·
Registered
7,250 Posts
It sure will. And this has been done, so it is a little hard to argue with hard evidence.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Yeah, that's what I thought. I guess Jermyzy was just saying that the Type S Header won't hook up to a Base exhaust, or that a Type S exhaust won't bolt up directly to a Base header. But if you have a Type S Header and Exhaust then you don't have any worries, it will all bolt up.

·
Registered
7,250 Posts
supersizedfry said:
what about cams, can we put type s cams in?
Not in the stock A3 head. The castings are a bit different. This has been tried too.

You can get a full Type S head though, that will bolt right onto your block for around $1000. That won't come with the intake manifold, but I know there are plenty of those around for cheap. Hell, I have one just sitting in my garage.

·
Super Modulator
2,128 Posts
James S said:
Yeah, that's what I thought. I guess Jermyzy was just saying that the Type S Header won't hook up to a Base exhaust, or that a Type S exhaust won't bolt up directly to a Base header. But if you have a Type S Header and Exhaust then you don't have any worries, it will all bolt up.
Yep, sorry, I meant that the Type-S exhaust can't bolt directly to the base header.

·
R.I.P Turbo'ed base auto
9,377 Posts
yea i have the whole type-s exhaust set-up using aftermarket parts on my base, was worth it i guess. You can make anything fit with some modifications, some examples, for a type-s intake u need type-s intake manifold and type-s throttle body. Those 3 all go together. For the change in cams you need the type-s head.

·
OWNED!!!
629 Posts
Type S shit does fit. Just with a lil modifacaton. I have all Type S parts in my car

·
Registered
20 Posts
About you Type S Intake manifold

BigDawg said:
Not in the stock A3 head. The castings are a bit different. This has been tried too.

You can get a full Type S head though, that will bolt right onto your block for around $1000. That won't come with the intake manifold, but I know there are plenty of those around for cheap. Hell, I have one just sitting in my garage.

You wanna sell it?

·
OWNED!!!
629 Posts
Correct you need to get Type S headers as well then it will all bolt on good!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts